Small fire delays opening of Rivers Casino
- Photos (1)
A small fire caused a slight interruption in the proceedings Sunday morning at Rivers Casino in Des Plaines. No one was injured in the fire, which occurred near a fireplace, and its cause appears accidental, authorities said.
A small fire caused a slight interruption in the proceedings Sunday morning at Rivers Casino in Des Plaines.
Des Plaines Fire Chief Alan Wax said casino security called in the fire at 8:02 a.m., during a period from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. when the casino is closed.
A cleaning crew reported that marble tiles from the fireplace in the smoking lounge had fallen. When security investigated, it was found that smoke and heat was starting to pour from the fireplace.
Wax said fire crews extinguished the small blaze in less than 20 minutes and contained it to the area of the fireplace.
"It's going to take a while to determine a dollar loss, because the fireplace was marble," Wax said. It is not clear yet whether it will have to be reconstructed.
No one was hurt in the fire, which appears to be accidental but is under investigation.
Wax said the casino was scheduled to reopen at 9 a.m., but the opening was delayed 15 minutes.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close