Breaking News Bar
posted: 2/20/2013 10:45 PM

Wolves win in shootout

Success - Article sent! close
By Daily Herald News Services

The Chicago Wolves saw a 2-goal third-period lead evaporate, but they bounced back to close a four-game homestand with a 4-3 shootout win over the Abbotsford Heat at the Allstate Arena on Wednesday night.

Darren Haydar netted 2 goals and Bill Sweatt scored in regulation. Haydar, Nathan Longpre and Michael Davies converted in the shootout, while Wolves goaltender Matt Climie stopped 3 of 4 Heat attempts in the shootout.

Climie (13-13-2) had stopped 32 in regulation and overtime to pick up the win.

"We started really slow tonight, but after the first 10 minutes we really took off," said Wolves coach Scott Arniel. "We played really fast and made them play in their end. We made a mistake at the end and they tied the score, but overall I liked our effort tonight."

After a scoreless first period, the Wolves (25-16-4-3) scored 2:37 into the second period. Working on a power play, Haydar controlled the puck in the far circle and located Sweatt unmarked in the slot with a pass. Sweatt redirected the puck over the glove of goalie Leland Irving.

The Wolves doubled their lead just over three minutes later when Haydar and Sweatt entered the Heat zone on a 2-on-1 rush. Sweatt's shot was stopped by Irving, but Haydar kicked the rebound to his stick and converted into the empty net at 5:57.

The Heat (26-20-3-5) scored with 80 seconds remaining in the second period. Akim Aliu picked the pocket of a Wolves defender at the blue line and poked the puck into the zone, where Mitch Wahl took it and streaked in alone to beat Climie.

The Wolves regained their 2-goal lead 28 seconds into the third period when Mark Matheson's shot from the high slot was turned away by Irving, but a scrum in the crease ensued and the puck bounced out to the side of the net where Haydar buried his second goal.

Irving (2-3-2) posted 35 saves in regulation and overtime.

The Heat inched to within 3-2 when Brett Carson fired a shot from the blue line and the puck hit off the shin pad of a Wolves defender, sneaking past Climie's outstretched leg at 3:28.

The Heat's Krys Kolanos knotted the game at 3-3 when he received the puck behind the Wolves net and quickly tucked it between the post and Climie's skate with 2:48 remaining in regulation.

The Wolves hit the road when they battle the Peoria Rivermen in an Illinois Lottery Cup contest at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Carver Arena.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.