Here are some organizations that welcome families to volunteer together:
• Northwest Special Recreation Association, 3000 Central Road, Rolling Meadows. Activities held at area locations. Call Volunteer Coordinator Jason Stubbeman at (847) 392-2848 or submit an application online at nwsra.org and click on "Join Us." Requirements: Application and orientation. Ages 16 and above unless accompanied by parents.
• American Cancer Society Relay for Life: Find out about local opportunities near your home at relayforlife.org.
• Feed My Starving Children: Locations in Schaumburg and Libertyville and mobile units. Register to volunteer online at fmsc.org/volunteer. Orientation/training provided during volunteer session.
• PADS Lake County: Various locations throughout Lake County. See the website at padslakecounty.org or call (847) 689-4357, ext. 116. Requirements: Volunteers younger than 18 need parent and may provide assistance until 9 p.m.
• Sherman Hospital, 1425 N. Randall Road, Elgin: Call Volunteer Services Manager Dina Lunceford at (224) 783-8133 or apply online at shermanhealth.com/about_help_volunteer.php Requirements: Ages 16 and above. Application includes background check, drug testing and tuberculosis tests. Orientation. Mentors matched with volunteers.