Top 5 makers of tablets, led by Apple; Amazon 3rd
On Thursday, Amazon.com Inc. unveiled a new Kindle Fire tablet computer, the latest effort to compete with Apple's dominant iPad.
Apple had extended its dominance in tablet computers in the second quarter, shipping nearly seven out of every 10 tablets, according to research firm IHS iSuppli. A new model came out a few weeks before the April-June quarter began.
Apple's 69.6 percent share in the April-June quarter is up from about 58 percent in the first quarter. It's the highest since the first quarter of last year, when Apple had 70 percent in a market with fewer competitors then.
Here are the top five manufacturers of tablets in the second quarter, as released by IHS iSuppli:
• Apple Inc., maker of the iPad, 17 million shipped worldwide, 69.6 percent share
• Samsung Electronics Co., maker of Galaxy line, 2.3 million, 9.2 percent.
• Amazon.com Inc., maker of Kindle Fire, 1 million, 4.2 percent
• AsusTek Computer Inc., maker of Transformer line, 688,000, 2.8 percent
• Barnes & Noble Inc., maker of Nook Tablet, 459,000, 1.9 percent
• Other, 3 million, 12.3 percent
Source: IHS iSuppli