Algonquin firebombing suspect fit for trial
A 24-year-old accused of throwing a Molotov cocktail inside an Algonquin grocery store earlier this year was found fit to stand trial.
Fabian J. Torres, a Sleepy Hollow resident and former employee at Joe Caputo and Sons, 100 S. Randall Road, is accused of running down an aisle in the store on Aug. 22 and throwing the firebomb into a crowd of about 30 people near the deli.
One person was injured, and Torres was caught by a shopper and off-duty Carpentersville police officer.
McHenry County Judge Gordon Graham agreed with a doctor's report this week that Torres was fit for trial, said William Bligh, special public defender.
Bligh said Torres also pleaded not guilty to the two felony charges, aggravated arson and possession of an incendiary device.
Since his arrest, Torres has been held on $2 million bail, meaning he needs to post $200,000 to be free pending trial.
He is next due in court on Dec. 13.
The most serious charge carries a sentence of six to 30 years in prison without the possibility of probation.