Arlington Heights murder suspect charged with probation violation

Updated 4/22/2011 5:24 PM
  • Mathew Nellessen

    Mathew Nellessen

  • Azari Braden

    Azari Braden

  • Armon Braden

    Armon Braden

  • Marlon Green

    Marlon Green

  • George Nellessen

    George Nellessen

The 19-year-old charged with killing his father April 12 in their Arlington Heights home appeared in court Friday to face accusations that he violated probation on a 2009 residential burglary.

Four days earlier, Mathew Nellessen was in court facing first-degree murder charges in the stabbing and bludgeoning death of his father, George Nellessen.

On Friday, prosecutors moved to terminate Nellessen's probation on the earlier case, alleging he failed to report to his probation officer, tested positive for marijuana and failed to complete a substance abuse treatment program.

Judge Thomas Fecarotta set a June 3 date for a hearing on those charges. Nellessen continues to be held without bond on the murder charges and is scheduled to appear in court on that case on May 9.

Prosecutors say Nellessen intended to rob his father, a machinist who co-workers described as a great guy and a concerned father, on April 12. They say Mathew Nellessen and a co-defendant duct taped the victim to a chair, forced him to sign a $100,000 check and reveal financial information. After George Nellessen threatened to call the police, Mathew Nellessen gagged and blindfolded his father, and hit him five times with a baseball bat and stabbed him twice in the neck, prosecutors said.

Also charged with first-degree murder are Chicago residents: Marlon Green, 20, of the 4000 block of South St. Lawrence; Armon Braden 20, of the 700 block of East 83rd St., and Azari Braden, 19 of the 2000 block of South Michigan Ave. They remain in jail on bonds ranging from $1.5 million to $3 million. Their next court date is May 9.

Nellessen, who had no history of violence when he was convicted of burglary, was originally sentenced to the boot camp, but was found ineligible, court records show. Sentenced instead to a substance abuse treatment program, he violated that in August 2010 and was sentenced to the county jail's inpatient drug rehabilitation program. He was recommitted to the treatment program in November 2010, but arrested on a warrant for failing to report, records show. He was released on March 25, 2011 after spending 30 days in jail.