The 15 men spared from the death penalty
Gov. Pat Quinn abolished the death penalty Wednesday and also commuted the death sentences of 15 men on death row in Illinois. The 15 and the crimes for which they were sentenced to death are:
• Brian Dugan, DuPage County, for the murder of 10-year-old Jeanine Nicarico of Naperville in 1983.
• Anthony Mertz, Coles County, for the 2001 murder of Rolling Meadows native Shannon McNamara, 21, in her off-campus apartment at Eastern Illinois University.
• Eric C. Hanson, DuPage County, for the 2005 murders of his parents, sister and brother-in-law in Aurora and Naperville.
• Edward Tenney, DuPage County, for the 1992 murder of 24-year-old Jerry Weber of Aurora.
• Paul Runge, Cook County. The former Carol Stream resident is on death row for the 1997 sex slayings of a Chicago woman and her daughter, 10.
• Rodney Adkins, Cook County, for the 2003 murder of an Oak Park woman during a burglary.
• Teodoro Baez, Cook County, for a 1999 double murder in which the victims were dismembered with a samurai sword after a Chicago drug dispute.
• Dion Banks, Cook County, for the 2001 fatal shooting of a woman in front of her two young sons during a carjacking in the Ford City mall parking lot.
• Joseph Bannister, Cook County, for wounding his ex-girlfriend and killing her sister during a 2000 attack in Chicago's Logan Square neighborhood.
• David Damm, Jo-Daviess County, for the 2006 murder of a 13-year-old Waterloo girl he earlier raped.
• Ricardo Harris, Cook County, for the 1999 murder of two Oak Lawn liquor store clerks.
• Gary Pate, White County, for the 2006 fatal shootings of his wife and stepdaughter in White County.
• Daniel Ramsey, Hancock County, for the July 1996 shooting deaths of two girls, ages 16 and 12, and wounding his former girlfriend and three toddlers in Hancock County.
• Cecil Sutherland, Jefferson County, for the 1987 abduction, rape and murder of a 10-year-old girl in Jefferson County.
• Andrew Urdiales, Livingston County, for the 1996 murder of a 21-year-old Hammond woman in Livingston County.