Sure sign of summer: Capannari's to open
Capannari Ice Cream will open for the season at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Count on the Guinness, Irish cream and Irish coffee flavors for St. Patrick's Day weekend. And to celebrate the Girl Scouts, Capannari's will serve up mint cookies and cream. Regular favorites will be back, too, including double chocolate chip and maple walnut. Watch for carrot cake ice cream during Easter.
Capannari's will be open only on the weekends until March 29, and then seven days a week after that. The shop is at 10 S. Pine, walking distance from the Mount Prospect Metra stop.
Wheeling's police department discussed in closed session
The Wheeling village board met in closed session on Monday to discuss "security procedures and how village police personnel are addressing certain law enforcement issues."
The board didn't vote or discuss anything in open session after the meeting, said Village Manager Jon Sfondilis.
"It was just discussion about police policy, and talking about that in open session would compromise the programs," he said. "There was no discussion in open session."
New in Wheeling:
Some businesses that recently opened in Wheeling:
• Belly Bump Boutique, 1708 S. Wolf Road. An Internet maternity formal wear rental shop.
• Cookies by Joey, 520 Quail Hollow Drive.
• Jet's Pizza, 1065 Lake Cook Road.
• Las Islas Marias, 784 E. Dundee Road.
• Modern Classics Inc. 478 Diens Drive. A wholesale woman's apparel store.
• Sugar Hills Bakery, 532 W. Dundee Road.
• Superdawg, 333 S. Milwaukee Ave.
- Sheila Ahern