Petitions available for all local elections
The presidential election might have just taken place, but local governing bodies are already getting ready for the contest coming up in April.
Petitions are available for races for the village, park, library and school boards at local offices. The nominating packets have to be filed, for the most part, between Tuesday, Jan. 20, and Monday, Jan. 26, though some municipalities will differ because of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Jan. 19.
Here's a rundown of some of the open seats in local races:
• The Buffalo Grove Village trustee seats held by Jeff Braiman, Bruce Kahn and Brian Rubin are up for the April 7 election. Petitions are available at village hall, 50 Raupp Boulevard. Call (847) 459-2500 for more information.
• In Wheeling, the village president spot, which is vacant after Greg Klatecki stepped down; the village clerk; and trustee seats held by Mike Horcher, Ken Brady and Dean Argiris are all up for election. The village hall is located at 255 W. Dundee Road; call (847) 459-2600 for more information. The packets are also available online at vi.wheeling.il.us.
• Long Grove will also have elections for village president, currently occupied by Maria Rodriguez. The village clerk and spots for Trustees Ted Lazakis, Stephanie Hannon and Karen Schmitt will also be up. The village hall is located at 3110 Old McHenry Road, and more information can be found at (847) 634-9440. For the park district, visit 3849 Old McHenry Road or call (847) 438-4743.
• At the Buffalo Grove Park District, only two park board are up, those held by Scott Jacobson and Jack Schmerer. Visit the Alcott Center, 530 Bernard Drive, for the petitions. The center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday. For more information, call (847) 850-2110.
• The Wheeling park board has four 4-year terms up for the seats held by Tom Webber, Mike Kurgan, Vivian Smith and Brian Lichtenberger. Anyone interested should contact Jan Buchs at (847) 465-3333 or visit the Community Recreation Center at 333 W. Dundee Road.
Petitions are also available for positions on library and school boards. For the Vernon Area Library's two open 6-year positions, visit 300 Olde Half Day Road in Lincolnshire or call (847) 634-3650. Information for the Indian Trails Library Board can be found at 355 S. Schoenbeck Road, Wheeling, or by calling (847) 459-4100.
For Aptakisic Tripp Elementary District 102, visit the offices at 1231 Weiland Road, Buffalo Grove, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. or call (847) 353-5650 for the four 4-year seats. The information on the Kildeer Countryside Elementary District 96 board elections is available at 1050 Ivy Hall Lane, Buffalo Grove, or (847) 459-4260. For Wheeling Township Elementary District 21, visit 999 W. Dundee Road, Wheeling, or call (847) 537-8270.
• Do you have any interesting Buffalo Grove, Long Grove or Wheeling story ideas? Pass them along to Nadia Malik at (847) 427-4489 or firstname.lastname@example.org.