Weekly picks: Kathleen Madigan brings comedy to Genesee
More photos Hide photos
Comedian Kathleen Madigan ribs religion and other topics during her standup "Bothering Jesus Tour" at the Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan. $37.50-$57.50. (847) 263-6300 or geneseetheatre.com. 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9
The Elgin Symphony Chamber Ensemble performs classical pieces while audiences get to nosh on brats and brews at the Beers, Brats & Beethoven event Thursday at the Sears Centre Arena, 5333 Prairie Stone Parkway, Hoffman Estates. $35. (888) 732-7784 or searscentre.com. 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 9
The Temporal Brass Quintet performs American jazz and folk classics along with new works for its Veterans Day Salute concert at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. Free, but ticket reservations requested. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com. 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Veterans Day Salute
The Temporal Brass Quintet ensemble presents a musical Veterans Day Salute with a concert of American favorites, jazzy classics and works by new American composers at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. Free. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com. 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Santa Claus makes his grand arrival -- on a fire truck -- at the Deer Park Town Center, 20530 N. Rand Road, Deer Park. The Barrington VFW Post 7706 will lead the procession before Santa turns on the holiday lights. The parade is followed by a fireworks show. Kids can meet with Santa and receive free antler headbands and "magical" reindeer food (while supplies last). Free. shopdeerparktowncenter.com. Parade at 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10; kids can meet with Santa until 8:30 p.m.
'Beauty and the Beast'
See a screening of the 2017 live-action family film "Beauty and the Beast" on the indoor turf at Ackerman Sports and Fitness Center, 800 St. Charles Road, Glen Ellyn. This PG-rated film stars Emma Watson and Dan Stevens. Bring blankets and lawn chairs for seating. Free. (630) 317-0130 or ackermansfc.com. 6:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Courtesy of Blacklist Regulars
Blacklist Regulars at Penny Road
Chicago's Blacklist Regulars has been making waves with their recent video releases, and their latest, "War," is no exception. The video, the first of a live three-part studio session, showcases the band's hard-rock chops and frontman Luke Keating's vocal melodies and emotive growls. Start your weekend on a heavy note when they headline the main stage at Penny Road Pub with Burned, After Forever and Rough Draft. Penny Road Pub, 545 Penny Road, Barrington. $8. (847) 428-0562 or pennyroadpub.com. 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Courtesy of Sammy Hart
World-class in Wheaton
Violinist Arabella Steinbacher is the soloist for Berg's Violin Concerto in Chicago Symphony Orchestra concerts conducted by Manfred Honeck this weekend at two locations: Wheaton College's Edman Memorial Chapel, 401 E. Franklin St., Wheaton, $45-$85, $15 students; then at Symphony Center, 220 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, $40-$221. (312) 294-3000 or cso.org. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, in Wheaton; 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11
The Thundertones, the Wheaton College Men's Glee Club a cappella group, will present its fall concert in Pierce Memorial Chapel, on the southeast corner of Washington and Franklin streets, Wheaton. $3. For details, call the college's Conservatory of Music at (630) 752-5099 or see wheaton.edu. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Courtesy of Ryan Birkett
Lisle rock duo SKYD -- Skyler and Derek -- recently released their album "All You Get," a driving and catchy collection of fuzzed-out, industrial-influenced, groove-based tracks perfect for a night-out soundtrack. SKYD celebrates the release at Lombard's BrauerHouse Friday, joined by friends She Rides Tigers and China Rose. BrauerHouse, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $5-$7. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Dust. Wind. Dude.
Progressive rock's Kansas, the artists behind hits such as "Carry On Wayward Sun" and "Dust in the Wind," show why they're influential legends when they play Waukegan's Genesee Theatre this weekend, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan. $45-$95. (847) 263-6300 or geneseetheatre.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Expect actor and comedian Frank Caliendo to offer up impersonations ranging from Donald Trump to Al Pacino in his touring standup show tonight at the Paramount Theatre, 23 E. Galena Blvd., Aurora. $50-$60. (630) 896-6666 or paramountaurora.com. 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10
Daily Herald File Photos
More than 100 pet-related companies and organizations are featured in the return of the Chicago Pet Show this weekend at the Kane County Fairgrounds, 525 S. Randall Road, St. Charles. $7. (630) 385-4000 or chicagopetshow.com. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 11 and 12
More than 100 tables with comic books and comic-related items are part of Mighty Con's DuPage Comic Con Show in Building 1 at the DuPage County Fairgrounds, 2015 Manchester Road, Wheaton. Every guest will receive a free comic book. $8; free for kids younger than 12. mightyconshows.com or facebook.com/mightycon/. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11
Watch sheepherding, butter-making demonstrations and more during Heritage Day at Peck Farm Park, 4038 Kaneville Road, Geneva. Learn about the Peck family and the park's history. Free. genevaparks.org. 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11
Homeless veterans are beneficiaries for the new "Brew it Forward Veterans Day Beer Tasting" on Saturday. Local breweries including Lagunitas, Bells, Lake Brothers and more set up at Tank Park at the First Division Museum, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton. $2-$10 each three-ounce beer tasting. (630) 668-5161 or cantigny.org. 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11
Come on down!
Game show junkies won't want to miss the chance to potentially compete onstage for the touring show "The Price is Right Live!" on Saturday at the Rosemont Theatre, 5400 N. River Road, Rosemont. $26.50-$46.50. (800) 745-3000 or rosemonttheatre.com. 3 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11
Associated Press, 2011
Give yourself over to early celebrations of the holiday season with the Brian Setzer Orchestra's 14th Annual "Christmas Rocks! Tour," playing locally at two locations: first on Saturday at the Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan, $37.50-$110, (847) 263-6300 or geneseetheatre.com; then on Monday, Nov. 13, at Rialto Square Theatre, Joliet, $43.50-$88.50, (815) 726-6600 or rialtosquare.com. 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, in Waukegan; 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 13, in Joliet
"A Golden Celebration of Dance" commemorates the 50th Anniversary Re-Opening of Chicago's Auditorium Theatre. Local and visiting companies performing include Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, American Ballet Theatre, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, The Joffrey Ballet, MOMIX and many more on Sunday at the Auditorium Theatre of Roosevelt University, 50 E. Congress Parkway, Chicago. $41-$135. (312) 341-2300 or auditoriumtheatre.org. 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12
• Temporal Brass Quintet: 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. Ensemble presents a musical Veterans Day salute with a concert of American favorites, jazzy classics and works by new American composers. Free. (847) 577-2121 or metropolisarts.com.
• Krewella: 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Aragon Ballroom, 1106 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago. Tickets start at $47. (773) 561-9500 or aragonballroom.org.
• Lonestar: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage, 425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn. Country. $75-$85. (630) 942-4000 or atthemac.org.
• The Thundertones: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, in Pierce Memorial Chapel, on the southeast corner of Washington and Franklin streets, Wheaton. The Wheaton College Men's Glee Club a cappella group presents its fall concert. $3. (630) 752-5099 or wheaton.edu.
• Chicago Symphony Orchestra: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Edman Memorial Chapel, on the northeast corner of Washington and Franklin streets, Wheaton. The classical program includes works by Bach, Berg and Schubert. $15-$85. (312) 294-3000 or cso.org.
• Kansas: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan. Rock. $45-$95. Tickets in person at box office, or by calling (800) 982-2787 or at ticketmaster.com.
• "A Night With Janis Joplin": 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Rosemont Theatre, 5400 N. River Road, Rosemont. Rock, blues. Tickets start at $25.50. ticketmaster.com.
• BambiRaptor, Revolt Coda, Bubbles Erotica, Toy Robots: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $7-$10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Fools' Brew, Lowcountry, Your Last Change, Goodbye Old Friend, Deville: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, Mutiny, 2428 N. Western Ave., Chicago. Free. (773) 486-7774 or themutinychicago.com.
• Sponge, 13 Angels, 80 Proof Preacher, The Dead Hands: 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 10, BrauerHouse Live, 1000 N. Rohlwing Road, Lombard. $12-$15. (630) 495-2141 or brauerhouse.com.
• Fredo Disco, Broken Holmes, Samantha Fuller with Cameron Box, Adolescent Apathy, The Magnifiers, Leave It To Chance: 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Evolution Music, 923 Curtiss St., Downers Grove. $10. (630) 541-5022
• The 27 Club (tribute to Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin): 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, BaseCamp Pub, 5750 Lakeside Drive, Lisle. $10-$15. (331) 777-4712 or basecamppub.com.
• The Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas Rocks Tour: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan. $37.50-$110. Tickets in person at box office, or by calling (800) 982-2787 or at ticketmaster.com.
• "Where The Action Is" tour with Paul Revere's Raiders, Mitch Ryder and Peter Rivera of Rare Earth: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. Rock. Tickets start at $39. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com.
• Dave Rudolf: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Acorn Coffeehouse in Burning Bush Art Gallery, 216 N. Main St., Wheaton. Pop, rock and more. $10. acorncoffeehouse.com.
• Turnpike Troubadors, Charley Crockett: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $28. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Aaron Kamm and the One Drops, Concrete Roots: 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Cubby Bear, 1059 W. Addison St., Chicago. $7-$10. (773) 327-1662 or cubbybear.com.
• Pine Street Band: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, Peggy Kinnane's, 8 N. Vail, Arlington Heights. Rock. (847) 577-7733 or peggykinnanes.com.
• Big Sugar Country with One Hott Mess: 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 N. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. Country. For ticket information, call (847) 577-4663, or visit homebarchicago.com.
• Downers Groove: 9 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at Mullen's, 3080 Warrenville Road, Lisle. Free. (630) 505-0240 or mullensbarandgrill.com.
• Classical guitarist Brian Torosian: 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, in the Luecht Conference Center at McHenry County College, 8900 U.S. Hwy. 14, Crystal Lake. Torosian will perform works by Mertz, baroque lute composer Silvius Leopold Weiss, Brazilian music by Paulo Bellinati, Spanish classics by Isaac Albéniz, and harp guitarist/composer Stephen Bennett. Free. (815) 479-7814.
• "Lonesome Traveler, The Concert -- The Roots of American Folk," featuring Peter Yarrow: 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, Arcada Theatre, 105 E. Main St., St. Charles. Folk. Tickets start at $39. (630) 962-7000 or arcadalive.com.
• Talk to you Never, The Homecoming, Everyone Says, Bad Planning, California Killers: 5 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, Bottom Lounge, 1375 W. Lake St., Chicago. $10. (312) 666-6775 or bottomlounge.com.
• Austin John Winkler, Shallow Side, Remada: 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, Penny Road Pub, 545 Penny Road, Barrington. $23. (847) 428-0562 or pennyroadpub.com.
• Bleachers, Bishop Briggs, Amy Shark: 7 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $31-$41. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Blitzen Trapper, Lilly Hiatt: 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12, Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $20-$25. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Columbia College Takeover, featuring Caving, Stratford, Summerbruise, Burly Gates and Friday Pilots Club: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15, East Room, 2354 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago. (773) 698-8774 or eastroomchicago.com.
• CBS Radio's Stars & Strings with Brad Paisley, Chris Young, Darius Rucker and others: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 15, The Chicago Theatre, 175 N. State St., Chicago. Tickets start at $129. livenation.com.
• Hoodie Allen, Luke Christopher: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, Vic Theatre, 3145 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago. $30. (773) 472-0449 or victheatre.com.
• Dashboard Confessional: 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, H.O.M.E. Bar, 1227 E. Rand Road, Arlington Heights. Free. (847) 749-0253 or homebarchicago.com.
• Aqueous, The North 41: 9 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, Lincoln Hall, 2424 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago. $15-$17. (773) 525-2501 or lh-st.com.
• Gin and Jokes with Mikey to the P: 9 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 16, Estate Ultra Bar, 1177 N. Elston, Chicago. $5 artist donation. wamilive.com.
Information is provided by entertainment venues. Check with venue before purchasing tickets. For more concert listings, visit dailyherald.com/calendar.