Veterans Day events in the Northwest suburbs
Here's a listing of some of the events occurring in the Northwest suburbs in conjunction with Veterans Day, Nov. 11.
Wednesday, Nov. 8
• Ceremony for veterans and their families is from 7:45-8:30 a.m. at Maine West High School, 1755 S. Wolf Road, Des Plaines. Special guest is Howard Hill, a World War II veteran. For information, contact John Aldworth, email@example.com or (847) 803-5932.
• A Salute to Veterans, hosted by American Legion Post 166 and the East Wing at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 8, Lakeview Room, 2400 Chestnut Ave., Glenview. Doors open at 9:15 a.m.; music begins at 9:45 a.m. The ceremony features keynote speaker Robert Crampton, a U.S. Army tech sergeant, and music by the Attea Middle School band and chorus. Cake and coffee served. Call (847) 724-4793.
Thursday, Nov. 9
• Breakfast for all veterans and their families in Prospect Heights Elementary District 23 at 8:30 a.m. at MacArthur Middle School, 700 N. Schoenbeck Road, Prospect Heights, followed by 9:30 a.m. school assembly. RSVP to (847) 870-3879
• The Wall That Heals photo exhibit through Sunday at the Des Plaines Public Library, 1501 Ellinwood Ave., Des Plaines. A display of Oakton Community College art department photos of the traveling exhibit dedicated to Vietnam veterans that visited Des Plaines this fall, hosted by the VFW Post 2992. Visit dppl.org.
Friday, Nov. 10
• Thomas Middle School hosts a free breakfast for any family, friends or neighbors who are veterans at 7:15 a.m. at the school, 1430 N. Belmont Ave., Arlington Heights. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the veteran.
• Trickster Art Gallery presents Vietnam Veteran Pinning Ceremony at 9 a.m. at 190 S. Roselle Road, Schaumburg. Register to receive a lapel pin at www.Krishnamoorthi.house.gov.
• Patton Elementary School holds a school assembly to honor veterans at 9:30 a.m. at the school, 1616 N. Patton Ave., Arlington Heights. Guest speaker Maj. Melinda Latting and songs from the Arlingtones. RSVP to (847) 398-4288.
• Northwest Community Hospital holds a "To Honor and Remember" ceremony and flag raising on the east lawn, 800 W. Central Road, Arlington Heights, at 10:30 a.m. Remarks by veteran Dr. Stephen Nigh, NCH medical director of radiation oncology, and music by St. Viator High School's choir. Cake and refreshments follow. Call (847) 618-1000.
• St. Theresa Veterans Day Service is at noon at 455 Benton St., Palatine. Visitors can meet the guest speakers after the service. Call (847) 359-1820 or email email@example.com.
• Veterans Day Salute featuring the Temporal Brass Quintet is at 2 p.m. at Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights. Free. Visit www.MetropolisArts.com or call (847) 577-2121.
Saturday, Nov. 11
• Bartlett American Legion Post 1212 observance is at 10 a.m. at the Bartlett Veterans Memorial, Stearns and Bartlett roads. People are asked to arrive 15 minutes early. Donations for homeless veterans are welcomed. Call Louis Neri Jr., (847) 269-4812.
• Buffalo Grove celebration begins with a free lunch at noon, followed by a ceremony at 1:15 p.m. at Buffalo Grove High School, 1100 W. Dundee Road. Color guard, flag presentation by VFW Post 981, keynote speaker U.S. Army Lt. Col. Priscilla Van Zanten, music by 85th Army Band Woodwind Quintet. Free. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Des Plaines Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 311 and American Legion Post 36 sponsor a ceremony at 1 p.m. at Prairie Lakes Community Center, 515 E. Thacker St. Email Vietnam Veterans President Bill Christiansen, email@example.com.
• Hanover Park Veterans Day Observance is from 3-4 p.m. at the Public Works Garage, 2041 Lake St., Hanover Park. Visit www.hpil.org.
• Hoffman Estates Veterans Day ceremony is from 10:45-11:30 a.m. at the Hoffman Estates Police Department, 411 W. Higgins Road.
• Mount Prospect Veterans Day program is at 10:30 a.m. at the Lions Park Recreation Center, next to the Veterans Memorial and Fountain, 411 S. Maple St. Patriotic songs, a 21-gun salute and the playing of taps. Capt. Matt Schachman, a West Point grad, will speak. Sponsored by VFW Post 1337 and American Legion Post 525.
• Streamwood Veterans Day ceremony is at 11 a.m. at the Streamwood Veterans Memorial, 301 E. Irving Park Road. Visit www.streamwood.org.
Monday, Nov. 13
• The Invisible Wounds of War -- Moral Injury is presented from 10-11:30 a.m. at Indian Trails Public Library, 355 Schoenbeck Road. Retired Maj. Gen. James Mukoyama. is the speaker. Registration is required with Wheeling Township, (847) 259-7730.