Transportation | Flight 232 survivor from Schaumburg: After plane crash, 'some things aren't important anymore'
For the past 30 years, Jeff Miller has been sharing a perspective on life's priorities that only seems to come naturally when "that fine line between being here and not being here" has been made agonizingly clear.
News | No sprinklers, fire alarms in ravaged Crystal Lake condo buildingThere were no fire-suppression sprinklers or fire alarms in a Crystal Lake condominium building gutted by a blaze early Tuesday morning, authorities said Thursday.
News | Twice rejected, backyard chickens back on table in Rolling MeadowsA little more than a year after city leaders rejected calls to allow backyard chickens, a new Rolling Meadows council is open to the idea.
DuPage County | 'You had me terrified': 15-year-old testifies against man charged with sexually assaulting herA 15-year-old girl who says she was sexually assaulted over several years by a man she knew, looked her alleged attacker in the eye Thursday as he cross-examined her on a DuPage County witness stand and told him how he ruined her childhood.
Columns | DuPage jail's welding program yields first inmates graduating with 'hope and purpose'When does a sheriff hug jail detainees? When he's proud of the first graduates of a new job-training program at the DuPage County jail. "You guys are at the beginning part of greater things to come," Mendrick told the grads.
Politics | Federal filing: Ives seeking Casten's U.S. House seatFormer gubernatorial candidate Jeanne Ives has filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission to run for the U.S. House in the 6th District.
Politics | Suburban Republicans object to Sterigenics settlementA group of suburban Republican lawmakers is calling on state and local officials to reverse course on a consent order that would allow a sterilization company linked to increased cancer rates to reopen its Willowbrook plant.
News | Bunker, campsite, scout jamboree: Readers recall where they watched Armstrong's first step on moonWhat to watch: live TV coverage of Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong stepping onto the moon, or your cat Blackie having kittens? That was a dilemma for the Irwin children of Palatine back in 1969. They are among many Daily Herald readers who share their memories of the day Neil Armstrong took his historic first step on the moon.
Lake County | With Route 53 extension scrapped, will $13 million in studies go to waste?Did the previous tollway board waste millions on a Route 53 extension that has been scrapped?
Transportation | IDOT might delay Route 22 closure after concerns about hospital accessClosing Route 22 for repairs will reduce access to Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital, some fear, and IDOT might delay the project.
Columns | Feder: WBBM Newsradio starts beaming from BloomingdaleListeners aren't likely to tell the difference, but all-news WBBM 780-AM began broadcasting Thursday from a new radio tower just off Army Trail Road in Bloomingdale, Robert Feder writes.
Crime | Wife's injuries consistent with 'being pushed down,' expert testifies at Buschauer trialThe former assistant Cook County medical examiner who ruled Cynthia Hrisco drowned in her South Barrington home's bathtub 19 years ago testified Thursday that her injuries were consistent with "being pushed down against a firm surface."
- 7:28 AMSweden wants extension of rapper's detention after fight
- 7:28 AMHow to beat Trump? Dems divided as he rams race onto ballot
- 7:14 AMNew standards aim to improve surgery for the oldest patients
- 7:10 AMThe Soviets tried to beat Apollo 11. They crashed a spacecraft on the moon instead.
- 7:03 AMWinners overlook rigged games' lack of fairness, study finds
More Suburban News Find your community
- EducationDistrict 211 approves $17,900 contract for superintendent search
- Campton HillsCampton Township, preservationists pleased that historic schoolhouse will stay put
- Mount Prospect2 Chicago men charged in Mt. Prospect burglary
- Glendale HeightsGlendale Heights woman charged in elaborate identify theft scheme
- St. CharlesKane County Fair continues steamy run through Sunday
- ElginResidents decry letter from Elgin Twp. as endorsement of vendor
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove approves change in Link Crossing agreement
- Lake CountySex assault and child porn suspect indicted
- NapervilleNaperville wants your input on intersection plan
- Addison3 DuPage Democrats want county to permit recreational pot sales
- St. CharlesSt. Charles family business among those helping NASA reach the stars
- CarpentersvilleElgin veteran honors military, first responders with flag displays
- 7:34 AMThank you for helping our veterans
- 7:27 AMLocal golfers raise more than $110,000 for cancer research
- 10:39 PMKane County Board honors 25 county employees for 20 years of service
- 9:28 PMGreen Screen Film Series to show 'The Guide: A Biologist in Gorongosa' July 22
- 8:59 PMBridge closure set for July 22 to Aug. 2 along South Elgin's Riverbend Trail
- 8:46 PM'Flutter, Buzz and Bounce with BRASS!' at family concert series at Lords Park Zoo July 22
- 6:38 PMNaperville Park District 2020 capital projects open house set for Aug. 8
- 5:01 PMBrandt Financial Concepts Inc. celebrates 35 years
Inside Daily Herald