Politics | Underwood says border policies resulted in child deaths, draws rebuke
A line of questioning of acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan by Rep. Lauren Underwood resulted in a rebuke by her fellow committee members Wednesday morning. Underwood questioned the secretary about family separation and the deaths of five children in the agency's custody. Republicans slammed the remarks as inappropriately accusing the agency of "murder." Underwood says that was not what she said.
News | Rescuing trapped driver makes prom even more memorable for Hoffman Estates High seniorStefan Knappik of Schaumburg was driving his girlfriend home from Hoffman Estates High School's senior prom Saturday night when their coming across the aftermath of a vehicle collision -- including a man trapped in an overturned car -- made the dance even more memorable.
News | Why Elgin mayor is wary of tightening rules for items belonging to homeless peopleElgin city staff members want to tighten regulations after an increase in homeless people leaving belongings in public places, but Mayor David Kaptain said that gives him pause.
Politics | 'Enough gun violence': Rally urges tougher licensing processLawmakers and supporters of a bill that would strengthen the Firearm Owners Identification card system chanted "Fix the FOID" in front of the statue of Abraham Lincoln outside the state Capitol on Wednesday.
DuPage County | Lombard couple plead not guilty to bilking veterans' charity they foundedFounders of a Lombard-based charity that pledged to help returning veterans get back on their feet have pleaded not guilty, in separate hearings Wednesday, to misusing more than $10,000 of those funds.
Entertainment | Festivals: Parades, ceremonies and more mark Memorial Day 2019 in the suburbsThe Memorial Day 2019 weekend kicks off the summer festival season with patriotic parades, somber ceremonies and suburban art fairs. Here's a list of events.
DuPage County | Court settlement requires 'adult' photo studio near Wheaton to closeDuPage County officials secured a court order Wednesday to close the Hot Shots Photography Studio near Wheaton and settle a lawsuit claiming it is operating as an adult business at a site that violates zoning restrictions.
Columns | O'Donnell: Would Holzhauer benefit by pulling his own 'Jeopardy!' buzzer?Jim O'Donnell says James Holzhauer should take the "Jeopardy!" money and run.
Politics | Immigrant rights advocates call to make Illinois a sanctuary stateTwo Democratic state lawmakers joined a group of immigration rights advocates Wednesday in calling for passage of a bill that would effectively make Illinois a "sanctuary state." The measure would limit how much cooperation public agencies here could provide to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Business | 'Atrocious': Des Plaines moves to revoke tax break for companyA Des Plaines company improperly took a Cook County tax break, paid nearly $170,000 less in taxes than required, illegally allowed businesses to occupy its building and installed a parking lot without permission, according to city officials.
Kane County | Maple Park woman charged with 5th DUIA Maple Park woman has been charged with her fifth DUI after a traffic stop earlier this year in Batavia. Krysta R. Vancleve, 52, of the 200 block of West DeKalb Drive, was recently indicted by a Kane County grand jury on the felony charge that carries a minimum of four years in prison.
Business | Mexican eatery INVICTO opening second location in Vernon HillsMexican street food inspired restaurant INVICTO, which debuted last fall in Naperville, is opening a second location Thursday at Mellody Farm in Vernon Hills.
- 7:30 PMAPNewsBreak: Theme park to star 'Hunger Games,' 'Twilight'
- 7:28 PMMobile app to warn gropers, get help proves popular in Japan
- 7:27 PMSEAL's trial delayed as defense seeks info on email snooping
- 7:23 PMProsecutor: Hawaii law enforcement power couple abused posts
- 6:55 PMPritzker says tax increases worth it for construction plan
More Suburban News Find your community
- BarringtonWant a prime spot in Barrington's Metra lot? That'll be $1,200 a year
- Lake in the HillsMotorcyclist killed in St. Charles crash identified as Lake in the Hills man
- PalatinePalatine man sentenced to probation for possessing child pornography
- Sleepy HollowSheriff: Sleepy Hollow attack suspect stabbed jail inmate with pencil
- AuroraPolice identify body found near I-88
- Glen EllynInnovation DuPage opens in downtown Glen Ellyn Civic Center
- AuroraAurora delays demolition of two hotels
- Rolling MeadowsElectronic sign won't go on Quentin Road, Rolling Meadows aldermen say
- AuroraAurora might grant $100K in incentives for new downtown restaurant
- Lake ZurichStretch of North Old Rand Road remains closed in Lake Zurich
- ItascaDuPage towns could get more flexibility on spending hotel tax revenue
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove formally opposes legalization of recreational marijuana
- 6:16 PMWillow Lake Estates to host Memorial Day service May 25
- 11:26 AMGolf Outing Supports Domestic Violence Services and Programs
- 11:26 AMLocal student receives awards at Lake Forest College
- 7:19 AMSeminar on How to Avoid Financial Scams at the Township of Schaumburg on May 28th
- 7:17 AMRush Hospital's chief operating officer appointed to Inroads national board of directors
- 7:06 AMDowntown Palatine Business Association (DPBA) Hosts Annual Sidewalk Sales
- 10:29 PMTeam from Flowing Forth Church to join mission trip to Mexico
- 10:10 PMSt. Catherine of Siena School students embrace the states
Through the Film Magnifier: Chicago Bulls, Flight 191 Crash, Rainbow Records, Ray Meyer, Slot Cars and more
Inside Daily Herald