Lake County | 85% of those who'd pay more under graduated income tax would be from Chicago and suburbs
More than 85 percent of the taxpayers who would have to pay more under Gov. J.B. Pritzker's graduated income tax plan live in Chicago and the suburbs, according to a Daily Herald analysis of state records.
Columns | Constable: How teardrop earrings symbolize wounds of warGregory I. Goto brought his mother a pair of gold earrings when he returned home from the Vietnam War in 1968. When Cecilia Goto discovered the precious metal came from dead Viet Cong, she knew what she had to do.
News | 'Jim-of-all-trades' a vital volunteer at St. Charles shelterYou've heard the expression "jack-of-all-trades." Well, Lazarus House in St. Charles has a "Jim-of-all-trades." Since December 2017, Jim Aikens has volunteered in numerous capacities at the homeless shelter -- his efforts ranging from meal prep and serving Fridays for lunch, to picking up groceries, refinishing tables and even helping build a parade float.
Transportation | Hundreds gather in Des Plainesto remember Flight 191 crashMourners gathered Saturday in Des Plaines to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the crash of American Airlines Flight 191.
News | 6 new attractions to check out this summer in the suburbsSummer 2019 promises some exciting additions to summer's staples, including the Spring Awakening Festival in Hoffman Estates and the debut of one of the fastest roller coasters ever constructed.
Cubs | Darvish battles and Chicago Cubs outlast RedsOld-school ruled the day Saturday at Wrigley Field. Yu Darvish made his longest start for the Chicago Cubs, who outlasted the Cincinnati Reds 8-6 at Wrigley Field.
Politics | Suburban Dems key to pot legalization passage but some are breaking ranksGov. J.B. Pritzker needs a strong showing from Democrats to legalize pot in Illinois but some suburban members are breaking ranks or waffling.
News | Arlington Heights mayor's challenge raises around $4,600 at Salute raceHundreds of runners and walkers woke up early Saturday to sweat for a good cause at the 16th Annual Salute Inc. 5K and 10K race at Recreation Park in Arlington Heights.
News | Trump opens state visit, needles Japan over trade issuesPresident Donald Trump has opened a state visit to Japan by needling the country over its trade imbalance with the U.S., teasing "Maybe that's why you like me so much."
Columns | Facts Matter: Obama didn't skip cemetery service to attend Memorial Day barbecue in ChicagoEven though social media might say so, President Barack Obama didn't skip Memorial Day commemorations in 2010, NASA didn't spent $165 million on pens and Drew Carey didn't wear a MAGA hat on Fox News, Bob Oswald says in his Facts Matter column.
News | Founder of Rosemont Cavaliers, trendsetter for drum and bugle corps diesDon Warren founded the Rosemont Cavaliers and helped guide the drum-and-bugle corps to more than 20 national titles and seven world championships with Drum Corps International.
Entertainment | Festivals: Parades, ceremonies and more mark Memorial Day 2019 in the suburbsThe Memorial Day 2019 weekend kicks off the summer festival season with patriotic parades, somber ceremonies and suburban art fairs. Here's a list of events.
More Suburban News Find your community
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect's new finance director reunited with former boss
- McHenry County86 years prison for 2nd man in 2017 McHenry-area murder, home invasion
- East DundeeSanta's Village celebrates 60th anniversary, looks to the future
- Des PlainesA 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope so
- BensenvilleDes Plaines man pleads guilty to 2017 stabbing murder in Bensenville
- ElginElgin 90-year-old steps down after over 30+ years on planning commission
- EducationLake Zurich 95 selects new superintendent
- Algonquin10 years prison for man who carjacked vehicle, tried to hit Algonquin cops
- NewsProspect High School senior named area's Journalist of the Year
- Des PlainesLong-vacant Immanuel Lutheran Church school in Des Plaines to be occupied again
- Buffalo GroveLee seeks recount in Buffalo Grove trustee April election
- Cook CountyChicago man arrested at Arlington Heights area hotel on prostitution charge
- 12:29 PMWords on Wheels selected as June recipient of Grand Foundation's 12 Months of Giving
- 12:06 PMEarly report of West Nile activity in DuPage County prompts health department advisory
- 10:41 AMLittle Angels Pledge Run returns June 2 to Woodstock Harley-Davidson
- 9:42 AMMundelein teen becomes Eagle Scout
- 9:39 AMLake Forest Swim Club to tee up its 6th annual golf outing
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
Inside Daily Herald