Lake County | 85% of those who'd pay more under graduated income tax would be from Chicago and suburbs
More than 85 percent of the taxpayers who would have to pay more under Gov. J.B. Pritzker's graduated income tax plan live in Chicago and the suburbs, according to a Daily Herald analysis of state records.
Columns | Constable: How teardrop earrings symbolize wounds of warGregory I. Goto brought his mother a pair of gold earrings when he returned home from the Vietnam War in 1968. When Cecilia Goto discovered the precious metal came from dead Viet Cong, she knew what she had to do.
News | 'Don't forget the forgotten' the message at Streamwood ceremonyThe Streamwood Memorial Day ceremony Sunday offered a fitting tribute to all our nation's fallen heroes, but especially those whose courageous acts have been shrouded in obscurity or have faded with time.
News | 'Jim-of-all-trades' a vital volunteer at St. Charles shelterYou've heard the expression "jack-of-all-trades." Well, Lazarus House in St. Charles has a "Jim-of-all-trades." Since December 2017, Jim Aikens has volunteered in numerous capacities at the homeless shelter -- his efforts ranging from meal prep and serving Fridays for lunch, to picking up groceries, refinishing tables and even helping build a parade float.
Transportation | Hundreds gather in Des Plaines to remember Flight 191 crashMourners gathered Saturday in Des Plaines to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the crash of American Airlines Flight 191.
News | 6 new attractions to check out this summer in the suburbsSummer 2019 promises some exciting additions to summer's staples, including the Spring Awakening Festival in Hoffman Estates and the debut of one of the fastest roller coasters ever constructed.
Crime | Schaumburg death investigated as homicideAccording to a news release issued Sunday, Schaumburg officers conducting a well-being check in response to a 9-1-1 call found the body of Joseph Mariano at 12:13 a.m. Thursday.
Politics | Duckworth: 'I think every Memorial Day about the guys from Illinois that never made it home'"Because they saved me, Memorial Day isn't about me," says U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Hoffman Estates, who credits the crews of her helicopter and a companion helicopter with saving her after her Black Hawk was shot down in Iraq. "I think every Memorial Day about the guys from the Illinois National Guard that I knew that never made it home from Iraq."
Cubs | Cubs fall behind early in loss to Reds; Bryant leaves after collisionThe Chicago Cubs were out of it early Sunday as they fell 10-2 to the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field. Kris Bryant left the game with an injury after colliding with teammate Jason Heyward in the outfield.
Illinois | How a Civil War general from Illinois established Memorial DayMoved by his wife's description of decorations on Confederate soldiers' graves, a Civil War general from Illinois is credited with establishing Memorial Day as a national holiday.
White Sox | Sox swept away by Minnesota in 7-0 lossJake Odorizzi allowed one hit in 5 1/3 scoreless innings, and Eddie Rosario and Max Kepler each hit three-run homers as the Minnesota Twins completed a sweep of the Chicago White Sox with a 7-0 win on Sunday.
Sports | Pagenaud wins Indy 500 on Penske's golden anniversarySimon Pagenaud outdueled Alexander Rossi in a breathtaking, 13-lap sprint to the finish Sunday.
- 1:53 AMEurope at crossroads as far right makes big gains in vote
- 1:28 AMThe Latest: Trump says he and Abe will cooperate in space
- 1:24 AMFiat Chrysler proposes merger with French carmaker Renault
- 12:52 AMTrump says he backs Japan's efforts to talk with Iran
- 12:30 AMImpeach Trump? Most 2020 Democrats tiptoe past the question
More Suburban News Find your community
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect's new finance director reunited with former boss
- McHenry County86 years prison for 2nd man in 2017 McHenry-area murder, home invasion
- NewsCustodians have new deal in Dist. 214
- East DundeeSanta's Village celebrates 60th anniversary, looks to the future
- AntiochMetra wants to hear from riders on North Central Service line
- Des PlainesA 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope so
- BensenvilleDes Plaines man pleads guilty to 2017 stabbing murder in Bensenville
- ElginElgin 90-year-old steps down after over 30+ years on planning commission
- EducationLake Zurich 95 selects new superintendent
- Algonquin10 years prison for man who carjacked vehicle, tried to hit Algonquin cops
- NewsProspect High School senior named area's Journalist of the Year
- Des PlainesLong-vacant Immanuel Lutheran Church school in Des Plaines to be occupied again
- 12:29 PMWords on Wheels selected as June recipient of Grand Foundation's 12 Months of Giving
- 12:06 PMEarly report of West Nile activity in DuPage County prompts health department advisory
- 10:41 AMLittle Angels Pledge Run returns June 2 to Woodstock Harley-Davidson
- 9:42 AMMundelein teen becomes Eagle Scout
- 9:39 AMLake Forest Swim Club to tee up its 6th annual golf outing
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
Inside Daily Herald