DuPage County | Sources: Mom texted about 'unruly' kids before Elmhurst-area shooting, then texted she did it
Jaime Jones did not leave a note detailing what drove her to shoot her two teenage sons multiple times Friday before setting fire to her Elmhurst-area home and fatally shooting herself, authorities said Monday. But investigators are examining the 43-year-old mother's other communications leading up to the slayings of Jason M. Harris, 16, and Nathan A. Harris, 19, and her own death.
News | 'Sigwalt 16' will finish Block 425 in downtown Arlington HeightsA plan for 16 townhouses to fill out the remainder of the long-vacant Block 425 on the west side of downtown Arlington Heights was unanimously approved by the village board Monday.
Columns | Constable: Hurricanes? Earthquakes? The biggest threat is right here: extreme heatOur son in Los Angeles survived earthquakes. Our son in New Orleans was unscathed by Hurricane Barry. But our son here in the suburbs is at risk this week from a more deadly natural disaster -- heat and humidity.
Lifestyle | Alligator in Humboldt Park lagoon capturedChicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says the Humboldt Park gator was caught humanely early Tuesday and is in good health.
Business | Craft Donuts hopes to move into Elgin library in mid-August"We're super excited about the opportunity," Allison Reno said of opening with her husband John a Craft Donuts + Coffee location in Elgin.
Business Ledger | Lawsuit lingers over public financing for Lakemoor Woodman's projectAs construction of a huge Woodman's Food Market at routes 12 and 120 in Lakemoor steams toward a Labor Day opening, a lawsuit over the development lingers on more than four years after it was filed.
News | Barrington Hills man identified as pedestrian killed in crashA Barrington Hills resident has been identified as the man who died Monday afternoon after he was struck by a car in the village, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.
Crime | Arlington Heights businesses fined for selling booze to minorsSix Arlington Heights businesses were leveled fines totaling more than $5,000 on Monday for serving alcohol to minors during an annual undercover police department sting.
Crime | Lake Zurich trustee arrested for DUI pleads to reduced chargeLake Zurich village Trustee Jim Beaudoin pleaded guilty Tuesday to a reduced charge stemming from his arrest earlier this year on a driving under the influence charge.
Politics | Secretary of state wants protection of undocumented immigrants made lawIllinois Secretary of State Jesse White is pursuing legislation to codify the office's long-held policy of not giving federal agencies full access to its database of driver's license photographs as a means to identify someone's legal status, a spokesman said Monday.
Cubs | Chicago Cubs' Contreras on injured list, Montgomery tradedThe Chicago Cubs will place all-star catcher Willson Contreras on the injured list with a foot injury. They obtained catcher Martin Maldonado from the Kansas City Royals for pitcher Mike Montgomery.
Crime | Police: Woman sexually assaulted at Falcon Park in PalatinePalatine police are investigating a reported sexual assault Saturday in which a 19-year-old woman was able to fight off her attacker and was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
- 11:35 AM'Game of Thrones' earns a record-breaking 32 Emmy nods
- 11:32 AMPartial list of nominees for annual Primetime Emmy Awards
- 11:31 AMAnxious immigrants wait to learn effect of new asylum policy
- 11:30 AM'Chatgate' scandal throws Puerto Rico's governor into crisis
- 11:18 AMUN health agency calls emergency meeting on Ebola outbreak
More Suburban News Find your community
- St. CharlesSt. Charles to help fund fencing for resident affected by Red Gate Bridge
- Hoffman EstatesMotorcyclist dies after crash on I-90 near Hoffman Estates
- NapervilleNaperville looking at three different options with marijuana sales
- GurneeSheriff's office: Gurnee man was served order of protection, then crashed car
- Lake ZurichWork on Life Time Fitness center in Lake Zurich under way
- BataviaElderday Center to re-open, with fresh leadership
- NapervilleDeVry completes HQ move to Naperville
- Cook County26,500 Cook County seniors didn't reapply for property tax discounts
- Island LakeLawsuit from ex-cops alleges corruption in Island Lake
- AuroraAurora man who blackmailed woman for sex in 2015 now arrested on gun, drug charges
- NapervilleHow Loaves & Fishes in Naperville grew from helping 8 families in 1984 to 4,650 last year
- Waukegan'Kindred Spirits Live' and Whitney Houston tribute coming to Genesee
- 10:58 AMFruit Truck coming to Mundelein
- 10:58 AMBravo Waukegan's Music Camp Connects Students With Music in Innovative Ways
- 10:47 AMHoly Family kindergartners take lesson one step further
- 10:29 AMWheaton Municipal Band Concert takes on 'The ABC's of Music'
- 10:26 AMWood Dale deputy chief retires after 29 years
- 10:10 AMFairchild Morgan Law, a corporate boutique law firm with offices in Chicago, Lake Forest and Milwaukee, is pleased to announce the addition of attorney Schaumburg resident Debra J. Stanek to its team.
- 10:07 AMThe Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has announced the release of the Final Re-Evaluation Report for the Proposed Interim Fly Quiet Plan.
- 9:59 AMThis family-friendly event is sponsored by the Bike Palatine Club and is open to all community bike riders. Join Palatine mayor Jim Schwantz, District 15 school superintendent Laurie Heinz, District 211 School Board President Robert Lefevre, Jr, Village
Inside Daily Herald