News | Elgin police union billboard supports officer who fatally shot woman
The Elgin police union put up a billboard in support of a police officer who fatally shot a woman and whose fate remains to be determined by the city.
News | After fire rips through Crystal Lake condo building, the residents get well-planned helpA three-alarm fire in Crystal Lake displaced all residents of 19-unit condo building early Wednesday. There were no injuries in the fire perhaps caused by a candle, but the building is uninhabitable, and many helpful and well-organized people came to their aid.
Business | St. Charles' Blue Goose 'fighting hard' to stay open, owner saysThe Blue Goose Market has been a staple of downtown St. Charles since Paul Lencioni's great-grandmother opened its doors 91 years ago. Now, the fourth-generation owner says he's "fighting hard" for the grocery store's survivial.
News | How to stay safe during excessive heat starting ThursdayDangerous heat is on the way to the Chicago area. An excessive heat watch is in effect from noon Thursday to 7 p.m. Saturday, according to accuweather.com.
News | New artificial turf caps improvements at Barrington High stadiumBarrington High School's stadium has a new artificial turf field, completing upgrades to the facility expected to total about $1.3 million covered by private donations and public money since last year.
Cubs | Cubs hang on as Darvish earns his first win at WrigleyYu Darvish earned his first career win at Wrigley Field Wednesday as the Chicago Cubs beat the Cincinnati Reds 5-2 at Wrigley Field.
DuPage County | Trial begins for Army specialist charged in Oak Brook sexual assaults of girlA 15-year-old girl's voice shook Wednesday in DuPage County as she detailed the conflicting feelings she had as a 7-year-old girl who was inappropriately touched and later sexually assaulted by a man she trusted. "They taught us in school that only doctors, our parents and trusted adults should touch us," the girl testified. "I was confused. Alarm bells we're going off but I pushed past it."
Columns | 8 moon-themed movies to mark Apollo 11's 50th anniversaryIf the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11's lunar landing has you feeling "Moonstruck," here come eight suggested movies to moon over with stars such as Ryan Gosling, Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise, Jerry Lewis and Lon Chaney Jr.
News | Schaumburg favors spot for convention center parking deckSchaumburg village board members agreed Tuesday that the area just north of the Schaumburg Convention Center was the best place for a five-level parking deck to address an existing demand there and leave more visible land available along Meacham Road to the west for a self-proposed entertainment district.
Chicago | Lightfoot lists potential casino sites in ChicagoFive potential sites for a Chicago casino were announced Wednesday, but one location -- the old Michael Reese Hospital site in Bronzeville -- was slammed by the local alderman as "appalling and offensive."
News | Feder: New morning show taking shape at US99Two and a half months after WUSN 99.5-FM dropped the morning team of Doug Stylz and Justin Roman, the Entercom country music station is about to name their replacement. Jason Pullman, former morning personality at WUBL in his native Atlanta, is expected to sign on at US99 early next month, according to insiders.
News | Newly released federal data unmasks epidemic that led to 76 billion opioid pillsAmerica's largest drug companies saturated the country with 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pain pills from 2006 through 2012 as the nation's deadliest drug epidemic spun out of control, according to previously undisclosed company data released as part of the largest civil action in U.S. history.
- 5:54 PMNumber of US overdose deaths appears to be falling
- 5:29 PMGOP Sen. Rand Paul slows bill to boost 9/11 victims fund
- 5:28 PMFelon from South Elgin had assault rifle, ammo in truck, Aurora police say
- 5:25 PMAlaska village will install new river power generator
- 5:25 PMHouse votes to hold attorney general, commerce secretary in contempt of Congress over 2020 census citizenship question
More Suburban News Find your community
- BartlettBartlett seeks more data before decision on pot sales
- AntiochLake Geneva woman charged with robbing Antioch Taco Bell sentenced to probation
- NapervilleNaperville votes to 'protect the brand,' banning recreational pot sales
- NewsIn lieu of grade level centers, Dist. 26 goes with centralized kindergarten
- St. CharlesRomeoville man critically injured, charged with DUI after crashing into St. Charles building
- Lombard'I'm going to slash all four tires!': Clerk gets 2 years in prison for Lombard hate crime
- BataviaBatavia man found guilty of 2018 home invasion, fight
- Island LakeIsland Lake board slashes spending for new fiscal year
- PalatineJimmy John's driver's car stolen during delivery in Palatine
- Des PlainesMedical examiner: South Barrington woman's 2000 drowning death a homicide
- NapervilleNaperville man charged with criminal damage to property
- St. CharlesTwo St. Charles organizations merge to strengthen 'community brand'
- 5:59 PMMAC Summer Concert Series continues with The Ides of March
- 5:36 PMNaperville Park District Police join Naperville police officers in hosting Special Olympics benefit at Texas Roundhouse July 26
- 5:26 PMLearn to spot frauds and scams aimed at seniors at College of DuPage Aug. 8
- 5:11 PM2019 Officer White Scholarship awarded to Katharine Marshall
- 2:04 PMMidwestern University medical students earn Schweitzer Fellowship
- 1:50 PMBig Hearts of Fox Valley benefit set for July 20
- 10:43 AMWaukegan to Host World Record Soul Train Line Attempt
- 10:18 AMWorld's largest steam locomotive stopping in West Chicago in late July
Inside Daily Herald