News | Hoffman Estates breakfast honors King's legacy with call to action
Hoffman Estates community leaders and residents gathered with neighbors from surrounding communities Monday to celebrate and honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.
News | King holiday 'a day to do something positive' for Arlington Heights churchVolunteers at First Presbyterian Church in Arlington Heights marked Martin Luther King Jr. Day by preparing and serving lunch for those in need. "I think the purpose is to try and create a little more brightness in the world," Associate Pastor TC Anderson said. "Use Martin Luther King Jr. Day to do something positive instead of having the day off and bum about."
Columns | Have you waited a long time at a freight train crossing? The feds want to hear about it.A new federal website lets you name, blame and shame the train causing you pain. Local leaders hope the reporting will help land them federal dollars to build grade separations or pressure railroads to offer operational fixes.
News | What's up next for legal weed in IllinoisNow that Illinois has legalized sales of recreational marijuana to adults, here is a look at what's ahead this year.
Columns | Rozner: Cubs' TV voice Kasper joins elite companyAbout to start his 16th season here, only Jack Brickhouse has been the lead TV voice of the Cubs longer than Len Kasper. That happened fast.
News | If you value local journalism, here's an opportunity for you to helpThe Daily Herald is embarking on a fundraising drive to help boster the news reporting staff through a matching grant program with the nonprofit Report For America.
News | Mom's 'really scary moment' led South Barrington sisters to launch charity for brain treatmentAfter their mother survived two emergency brain surgeries, South Barrington sisters Rhea and Ranya Sharma in early 2019 formed Skulls and Drills. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit aims to help fund brain surgeries for people who need one but cannot afford it.
Cook County | Term limits, school upgrades among Northwest suburban ballot questionsA binding Elk Grove Village retroactive term limits question -- if it survives remaining legal challenges -- is among the queries voters in the Northwest suburbs will consider when they go to the polls March 17.
Pro Sports | 49ers, Rolling Meadows grad Garoppolo beat Packers for Super Bowl berthRaheem Mostert rushed for 220 yards and four touchdowns to make quarterback (and Rolling Meadows High School grad) Jimmy Garoppolo mostly a spectator, Nick Bosa harassed Aaron Rodgers from the start and the San Francisco 49ers beat the Green Bay Packers 37-20 for the NFC championship on Sunday.
Lake County | School projects, street repairs on Lake Co. primary ballotSchool and fire station building projects and a new sales tax are among the questions facing some Lake County voters on the primary ballot.
Columns | Feder: Will angry Cubs fans turn off TV and boost The Score?If Marquee Sports Network turns out to be the disaster some critics are predicting, another broadcast partner of the Chicago Cubs stands to benefit handsomely, Robert Feder writes.
Business | Mount Prospect poised to buy more land in downtown Busse TriangleMount Prospect village board members are expected to vote Tuesday on the $1.3 million purchase of four more parcels within the Busse Triangle downtown.
- 4:49 PMTesla disputes claims its cars can accelerate on their own
- 4:43 PMHawaii man suspected of killing 2 cops described as unhinged
- 4:26 PMCalifornia police: Driver rammed into car, killing 3 teens
- 4:00 PMMigrants ford river from Guatemala to Mexico
- 3:56 PM10 years after Vatican reform, Legion in new abuse crisis
More Suburban News Find your community
- EducationDistrict 21 hires firm to oversee referendum building projects
- SchaumburgGOP U.S. Senate candidates to meet in Schaumburg
- LincolnshireLincolnshire Skate Night rescheduled
- EducationDistrict 62 tax levy going up 6.6%
- AuroraFarnsworth Road reopens in Aurora after crash causes power lines to fall
- PalatineWeather cooperates for Twin Lakes Winterfest
- Girls' BasketballTeam effort lifts Hersey past state-ranked Lake Forest
- PalatinePalatine apartment left uninhabitable after fire
- Prep SportsGirls bowling: Barrington's O'Byrn fires 300 game
- Girls' GymnasticsLake Park edges closer to 140
- Girls' BasketballStevenson's second half does in Palatine
- Geneva'We want change': Fox Valley Women's March encourages residents to vote
- 2:10 PMDr. Dean Nicholas Installed as 2020 President-Elect of Chicago Dental Society
- 2:08 PMDr. David Lewis Installed as 2020 Treasurer of Chicago Dental Society
- 2:06 PMEgos hilariously clash in ETC's comedy 'Suite Surrender'
- 2:06 PMCommunity Generosity Fulfills Wheeling Township 'Neighbors Helping Neighbors' Motto
- 1:42 PMWest Chicago's Cultural Arts Commission seeks community input
- 1:31 PMLearn about renewable energy barriers in Naperville at Jan. 29 program
- 12:02 PMLearn about the 'Shape of Addison' at town hall Jan. 22
- 11:58 AMLake County Queens Collect Donations for Lake County Haven
Through the Film Magnifier: A Vietnam POW, frog jumping, drag-racing cars, klondike sledding and more
Inside Daily Herald