Columns | Two gas stations, a 31-cent difference for a gallon of regular. What gives?
Why do gas prices pingpong so much between stations? Here's why, with tips on finding cheap gas and a chance to win Chicago Auto Show tickets.
News | 2 years ago, Illinois' first COVID-19 case was diagnosed. 2.8 million (and counting) followed.It's now been two years since the first COVID-19 case in Illinois was diagnosed in a patient at Amita Health St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates and many are left to wonder when the pandemic will end.
Columns | Black, white Wheaton churches to celebrate Black History Month togetherMembers of Hope Presbyterian Church and Bethel New Life Church, whose respective white and Black congregations share worship space in Wheaton, jointly will celebrate Black History Month with a series of programs in February.
News | Back in a Flash? Longtime Great America coaster could reopen with new superhero themeEvidence is mounting that Vertical Velocity rollercoaster at Six Flags Great America will getting a rebrand with the name of DC superhero The Flash this year.
News | 'Parking at Nichols is really bad': Officials reviving parking deck plan at downtown Naperville libraryReviving a plan that's been dormant for more than a decade, Naperville Public Library officials have begun discussions with the city about building a parking deck adjacent to the downtown Nichols Library location.
News | St. Charles library board stands by decision to close amid threats over mask requirementThe St. Charles Public Library will remain closed for in-person visits following a near altercation between patrons Thursday afternoon as well as phone calls threatening staff and patrons over the library's mask policy.
News | Mount Prospect hires help to boost diversity, inclusion effortsMount Prospect leaders have pledged to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a priority in the village, in light of last year's controversy over the police uniform patch and complaints about the lack of diversity in village government. Village trustees began following through on that promise last week.
News | After more snow overnight, subzero temperatures expected this weekThe suburbs woke up Sunday to two to five inches of snow, and its inhabitants could see as much as three inches more when they launch their work weeks Monday morning.
News | Elgin task force will use study on traffic stop bias in reform effortRacial bias and profiling in Elgin traffic stops may become a centerpiece of a task force's efforts to reform the department.
News | Police searching for teen last seen in AuroraAt the request of the Aurora Police Department, the Illinois State Police is activating an Endangered Missing Person Advisory in an attempt to locate a teen last seen in Aurora.
Education | Why teaching about critical race theory has become a lightning rod in suburban schoolsShould American schools teach students about historical and structural racism? That's the debate raging nationally and has become a political flashpoint pitting parents against educators, school leaders and one another.
News | Families brave cold to protest DuPage Children's Museum's children's vaccination policyThe DuPage Children's Museum's COVID mitigation policy for children drew scores of protesters to its Naperville address Saturday.
Columns | Facts Matter: Trump wrong about discrimination against white peopleIn this week's Facts Matter column, Bob Oswald examines claims by former President Donald Trump that white people are being discriminated against in getting vaccines, by President Joe Biden that he was arrested at civil rights protests, and more.
- 8:17 AMSeveral wounded in shooting in German city; gunman dead
- 8:11 AMNATO outlines 'deterrence' plan as tensions with Russia soar
- 7:57 AMGerman police say a man shot, wounded several people at lecture theater in Heidelberg; suspected perpetrator is dead
- 7:54 AMGerman police: Several people injured in incident of unspecified nature in the city of Heidelberg
- 7:54 AMBurkina Faso's President Kabore is held by mutinous soldiers
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsFire leaves McHenry home uninhabitable; No injuries reported
- Des PlainesDes Plaines man charged with sexual assault in Hampshire
- NewsElmhurst man faces firearms charge after Chicago traffic stop
- WaucondaWaukegan man charged in Wauconda hit-and-run
- AddisonUnoccupied Addison house damaged in fire
- Buffalo GroveMental health advocates float 708 board for Wheeling Township
- Prep WrestlingDeKalb denies Naperville Central for DVC title
- Girls' BasketballHersey flying high again with big triumph over Deerfield
- Boys' BasketballHuff, Glenbard West knock off Young
- Prep WrestlingKaneland's Phillips wins I-8 title
- Boys' BasketballBatavia loses heartbreaker at Night of Hoops
- Prep SportsBoys swimming: Metea Valley takes 2nd at Trojan Invite
- 12:22 AMMontini Catholic's 38th annual fashion show benefits the San Miguel Scholarship Fund
- 10:57 PMCall for artists: Friends of St. Charles Public Library to showcase sculpture in the garden
- 7:55 PMMcHenry High School grad Grace Markovitz named first runner-up in Miss Illinois County Fair
- 7:50 PMAmerican Hearing Research Foundation awards 10 grants for 2022
- 6:59 PMJesse Brown VA Medical Center one of the first to no longer include race as a measurement of kidney health
- 5:41 PMCollege of DuPage earns top national award in financial reporting
- 3:43 PMCollege of DuPage police department offers free virtual courses in crime prevention, crisis intervention
- 1:06 PMKickoff Black History Month at CLC celebrating Dr. King's birthday
Inside Daily Herald