Illinois | Why it may be better to wait for COVID-19 booster
Waiting to get a COVID-19 booster shot may make it more effective. That's what many infectious disease experts and even some vaccine manufacturers are saying as a federal immunization safety group began discussing the nation's booster shot plan Wednesday. This as Illinois sees case positivity rate continue its decline.
News | 'The hospital is broken': Sherman surgery vice chair calls anesthesia shortage a crisisDr. Tom Stanley, vice chair of surgery at Advocate Sherman Hospital in Elgin, spoke during the public comment portion of the Elgin City Council meeting Wednesday and said the hospital's shortage of anesthesia providers could continue for some time.
Health & Fitness | FDA backs Pfizer COVID-19 boosters for seniors, high-riskThe U.S. moved a step closer Wednesday to offering booster doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine to senior citizens and others at high risk from the virus as the Food and Drug Administration signed off on the targeted use of the extra shots.
Business | Abbott plans to reopen Gurnee facility to produce COVID-19 rapid testsAbbott plans to reboot its BinaxNow COVID-19 test production facility in Gurnee.
News | Investigators learn from live burn in Oakbrook TerraceOakbrook Terrace firefighters set a control fire in two fire sheds then moved to two junk cars to educate insurance agents the tremendous speed a typical fire can spread and cause deadly destruction. Most people including these agents have never been so close to an actual fire and see first hand the destruction.
Bears | Fields to make first start for Bears with Dalton injuredThe Bears will go with the rookie quarterback Justin Fields when they travel to Cleveland Sunday. Andy Dalton remains sidelined with a left knee injury, coach Matt Nagy said Wednesday.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: Maybe there will be some magic at midnight after Arlington Park closesJim O'Donnell: A farewell to the grand Arlington Park. Those were the days.
News | Two bank robberies in two days in NapervilleThe second bank robbery in as many days occurred Wednesday in Naperville, this one at the BMO Harris Bank at 1795 S. Washington St.
Kane County | Kane County COVID-19 cases outpacing contact tracingThe start of school in Kane County sparked an uptick in COVID-19 cases among younger people. That's created a demand in parents asking for help in getting their kids back in school too large for the county health department's current team of contact tracers to keep up with, slowing the process of determining who still needs to quarantine.
Crime | Police: Tracking device led to arrest of man stealing mail from Park Ridge collection boxA South suburban man is facing a federal theft charge alleging he stole mail from a collection box outside the Park Ridge post office, authorities said Wednesday.
Crime | Bartlett man sentenced to 15 years for 7-Eleven robberyA Bartlett man was sentenced to 15 years in prison Wednesday for a 2019 armed robbery, the DuPage County state's attorney's office said.
Chicago | Afghan children arrive in ChicagoAbout 75 unaccompanied minors from Afghanistan arrived in Chicago on Wednesday, according to city officials.
- 9:11 PMAsian shares, Wall Street hold gains after Fed statement
- 9:01 PMRobert Gentile, linked to Gardner Museum art theft, dies
- 8:30 PMMelvin Van Peebles, godfather of Black cinema, dies at 89
- 8:30 PMAfghan Taliban's new UN envoy urges quick recognition
- 8:12 PMMany migrants staying in US even as expulsion flights rise
More Suburban News Find your community
- Glen EllynGlen Ellyn board receptive to latest apartment project, but design 'too modern' for downtown
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove approves plan for Ricky Rockets, retail center
- ElginElgin police investigating armed robbery at business
- AuroraAurora man charged with leaving scene of fatal crash, destroying evidence
- NewsMichael Amadei is Des Plaines District 62's next superintendent
- Des Plaines$2,200 in chips reported stolen at Rivers Casino
- ItascaItasca Lions Club to host annual Italian Feast charity buffet on Sept. 26
- NewsArlington Heights mayor fines a dozen businesses for liquor violations
- Prep FootballAfter 8 stops in 7 states, Vernon Hills QB Lazor is focused on forging his own path
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Barrington, Conant's Simon are MSL champs
- Prep SportsBoys golf: South Elgin claims UEC title
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Zheng, Neuqua Valley nip Naperville North for DVC crown
- 7:08 PMFine Line hosts 'Small Wonders' exhibit through Oct. 9
- 4:49 PMCommunity vaccination clinics continue at ECC, Carpentersville
- 12:58 PMHalloween Hustle 5K and Kids Dash is Back October 30!
- 12:33 PMElmhurst residents start Warm Coats For Cool Kids nonprofit
- 12:05 PMMandala's 'The Story of Ram' celebrates Diwali outdoors Oct. 9 at Naper Settlement
- 11:01 AMMontini Catholic High School to offer fall open houses
- 10:18 AMWheaton's First Presbyterian welcomes renowned director of music ministries
- 9:34 AMPublic Invited to Schaumburg's Public Safety Open House on Oct. 2
Everything from 9/11 memorials to high school football is reflected in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 11-17, 2021.
9/11 remembrance ceremonies and other end-of-summer activities fill up The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 4-10, 2021.
Inside Daily Herald