News | 'I lost my best friend': Road named in honor of trooper who died stopping wrong-way driver
On a gloomy Monday, the rain stopped just in time for the impassioned ceremony to rename a half-mile section of Interstate 94 in Green Oaks in memory of Illinois State Trooper Gerald W. Ellis of Antioch, who was killed March 30 when he drove his squad car into the path of a drunken driver heading the wrong way on I-94.
DuPage County | Authorities: 2 killed in wrong-way crash on Route 83 caused by drunken driverA Chicago man is accused of killing two people by driving the wrong way on Route 83 in Clarendon Hills while drunk.
Columns | O'Hare ring road deal coming soon between tollway and railroadsIs there daylight between the Illinois tollway and the Canadian Pacific Railway after sparring over a new O'Hare road? Officials say yes.
Columns | Rozner: Once again, Bears have no answersOnce again, the Bears were left searching for answers after a dismal performance at home against the Saints.
News | After girl's open heart surgeries, Crystal Lake family gives back to Ronald McDonald HouseLauren Backe can vividly remember the overwhelming fear and uncertainty of learning that her unborn baby's heart hadn't formed properly. Two years later, she and her family are giving back to the hospital and charity that supported them most.
Crime | Two killed after high-speed police chase ends with crash in Fox LakeA high-speed police chase that began Sunday in southern Wisconsin and traveled into Illinois ended when the fleeing driver lost control of his car, causing a crash that killed him and a teenage passenger, police said Monday.
News | Man gets probation for racist rant about woman's Puerto Rico flag T-shirtTimothy Trybus of Des Plaines, whose rant against a woman wearing a Puerto Rico flag T-shirt was caught on video, was sentenced Monday to probation and community service.
Lake County | Lake County sheriff's dog, Dax on 'Today Show'Lake County sheriff's office police dog Dax stepped into the national spotlight with an appearance on NBC's Today Show this morning.
News | Longtime Barrington retiree starts escape room business to serve town's youthsBarrington resident Van J. Paulus retired about 40 years ago from his first career in outdoor advertising, but the 86-year-old is plenty busy these days in his new venture as an entertainment entrepreneur.
Cubs | Report: Cubs have second interview with EspadaThe Chicago Cubs and Joe Espada reportedly talked for the second time Sunday. The Cubs are looking for a new manager and Espada, the Astros' bench coach, is emerging as a hot candidate.
Kane County | Brothers' conduct 'reprehensible' but not criminal in fatal Aurora party fightCalling their conduct "reprehensible" and saying they were not innocent, a Kane County judge found two brothers not guilty Monday to felony charges of aggravated battery and involuntary manslaughter in a man's death in October 2017 after a fight at his own birthday party in Aurora.
Crime | What our reporter learned from Lake in the Hills' active shooter training -- and her own experience of being robbedWriting stories about active attack situations involving mass shootings at schools, workplaces and worship centers, and cars driving into crowds of people in public spaces, I've often wondered how I would react under such circumstances. Here's what I learned from attending active shooter response training.
- 3:22 PMAP-NORC poll: Americans agree on many aspects of US identity
- 3:20 PMRenewed disturbances in Chile; many line up for food
- 3:18 PMElgin radio station marks 70 years of local content
- 3:18 PMTeachers union rebuffs Chicago mayor's request to end strike
- 3:13 PMSchneider hosts 'Congress on Your Corner' event Sunday
More Suburban News Find your community
- Buffalo GroveSample from Wheeling's Restaurant Row at annual Taste of the Town Oct. 24
- WaukeganPark City shooting death investigated
- GenevaGeneva looks to form diversity task force to ensure a 'welcoming' community
- BartlettSouth Elgin man charged with breaking into Bartlett business
- PoliticsBarrington District 220 pushing voter registration ahead of March referendum
- WheelingTurn in unused drugs Saturday at Wheeling Walmart
- DuPage CountyDuPage County poised to vote on recreational pot sales in unincorporated areas
- NewsCook forest preserve to dedicate Harms Woods as Illinois Nature Preserve
- PoliticsSchneider has commanding fundraising lead in 10th District congressional race
- Prep FootballDuPage County: Tuesday Morning Quarterback
- LibertyvilleImprov Playhouse to perform 'Dracula' in radio show format
- NewsSchneider hosts 'Congress on Your Corner' event Sunday
- 3:02 PMBartlett VFW Auxiliary 11018 helps brightens our troops holidays
- 10:24 AMBartlett High School Holiday Arts & Craft Show Saturday, October 26
- 10:24 AMTwo Lives....about to change forever
- 10:13 AMIBJI Gives Back on Humanitarian Mission Trip to Honduras
- 10:13 AMMore than 100 Carmel Catholic Students Participate in Vitalant Blood Drive
- 10:13 AMPark Ridge Man's Efforts to Educate Kids About Chicaqo River Honored
- 11:56 PM'Lawyer in the Library' returns Oct. 24 to Gail Borden Library
- 11:18 PMAurora University student-athletes to volunteer in Morning of Service Oct. 26
Inside Daily Herald