Illinois | Where marijuana can and can't be used once law goes into effect
While marijuana consumption and possession will become legal for Illinois residents age 21 and over starting Jan. 1, consumption in public places will still be prohibited and local governments will maintain control over whether the industry can conduct business within their jurisdictions. Here are the new rules.
Education | A lot of kids still aren't ready for kindergarten: What suburban districts are doing about itA state report released Tuesday shows inequities persist in kindergarten readiness with roughly one in four Illinois children entering fully ready to learn, while the rest require additional support.
News | Where are the safety threats? Board members want answers on Civil War Days cancellationSeveral Lake County Forest Preserve District board members on Tuesday said they have yet to see examples of the safety threats district leaders cited as reasons for canceling next month's Civil War Days re-enactment.
News | It takes a flock of people to return a baby hawk to its nest in MedinahA falconer, firefighters and a homeowner all flocked together to return a baby Cooper's hawk to its nest Tuesday.
Columns | Rozner: Trades just start of big Chicago Blackhawks decisionsThe Blackhawks have made significant upgrades to the defense, but they have more big decisions to make.
Business | Developer wants to put 19 apartment buildings on farmland in West DundeeWest Dundee officials are expected to decide next week whether more than 34 acres of farmland should be redeveloped into a 380-unit apartment community.
Politics | Obama's car at auction with note from Elmhurst chief insideThe first car President Barack Obama bought new is being auctioned Wednesday, and the first listed "personally-owned artifact" that comes with the car is a note from a former Elmhurst police chief.
Kane County | Were Geneva man's anonymous, insulting letters a threat or protected speech?Were the anonymous letter containing racial and homophobic slurs a Geneva man sent to people from a "What's Happening" Facebook group a crime or speech protected by the First Amendment?
Politics | Eric Trump says he was spit on by employee at Chicago cocktail barAn employee at a high-end Chicago cocktail bar was questioned by the Secret Service on Tuesday evening after allegedly spitting on Eric Trump, according to reports.
Dining | Into craft beer? Schaumburg's new Global Brew Tap House worth checking outCan you really find happiness at a suburban strip mall? If you're a craft beer fan in the Schaumburg area, then, yes, you can at the new Global Brew Tap House. With 50 brews on tap and a grilled cheeses menu, how can you go wrong?
News | How to watch -- and what to watch for -- in tonight's Democratic presidential debateTwenty Democratic presidential candidates face off Wednesday and Thursday in the first televised debates of the 2020 campaign. Here's how to watch, and what to watch out for.
News | What we're watching: Gigi's Playhouse namesake Gigi Gianni nails national anthem at Wrigley FieldWhat a moment! Hoffman Estates' Gigi Gianni, 16, nailed the national anthem Tuesday night before a packed crowd of Cubs fans at Wrigley Field.
- 11:29 AMSaudi envoy blasts UN expert's report on Khashoggi killing
- 11:29 AMHouse oversight panel backs subpoena for WH counselor Conway
- 11:12 AMKenya court stops building of coal plant in heritage site
- 10:59 AMNew California office aims to improve government service
- 10:59 AMTrump headlines faith community conference in Washington
More Suburban News Find your community
- NewsWoodland Intermediate welcomes new therapy dog
- DuPage CountyDuPage approves licensing program for adult businesses
- ElginAuthorities: Man used dating app to set up armed robbery
- SchaumburgProsecutors: Evidence 'overwhelming' against Schaumburg man on trial for murdering neighbor
- Cook CountyToni Preckwinkle reverses decision to retire -- aide says she will seek third term in 2022
- Elgin2-story garage catches fire, but no one hurt in Elgin
- NapervilleDuPage renews support for hazardous waste center in Naperville
- Downers GroveSame man suspected in Streamwood, Downers Grove, Plainfield bank robberies
- Lake ForestConstruction worker killed after being hit by dump truck
- PalatinePalatine expects to save about $350,000 with a new garbage hauling contract
- AuroraMan charged with felony DUI in fatal Aurora crash
- GenevaChicago man charged with assault of deputy at Kane County courthouse
- 1:39 PMGeneva garbage collection rates increase in July
- 1:32 PMLocal P.E.O. chapter carries on past president's legacy with scholarship
- 1:09 PMWater Street Studios' Live Art Series offers preview of AfterImage Film Festival
- 11:39 AMGet tickets for Elgin Donor Club's annual book review
- 10:29 AMLake Bluff Park District Commissioner Trains at Statewide Seminar
- 9:37 AMAdvocate recognizes Alzheimer's patients, care partners
- 8:49 AMDistrict 54 releases tentative 2019-20 budget
- 8:42 AMCozen O'Connor Attorney Jeremy Glenn Elected Fellow of The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more
Inside Daily Herald