Transportation | 'There's nothing for these paramedics to do': Remembering the Flight 191 crash
Former Daily Herald photojournalist Dave Tonge reflects on covering the crash of Flight 191 that killed 273 in Des Plaines on May 25, 1979.
Lake County | Hundreds of Lake County properties were overtaxed, officials admitHundreds of Lake County property owners received tax bills this month that wrongly asked for too much money because of computer errors that eliminated legitimate credits, officials acknowledged Thursday.
Columns | How Schaumburg cops are rallying around stricken colleagueColleagues describe officer Ross Urso as the best cop on the force and the literal picture of health. So is came as a shock this spring when Urso revealed he had Stage 4 cancer and was in the fight of his life. Now, the Schaumburg Police Department and suburban law enforcement community are rallying around the 19-year veteran with a pair of fundraisers.
Transportation | Tollway promises new vote after chairman approves subcontract with former employerNew Illinois tollway Chairman Will Evans voted to approve a contract with the engineering company he had stopped working for just weeks earlier.
Suburban Talent | You can still sign up! Suburban Chicago's Got Talent deadline extendedSign up -- or miss out. The deadline to register to audition for Suburban Chicago's Got Talent has been extended to Tuesday, May 28.
News | Elgin council likes idea of 24 hours' notice before impounding private property on public spacesBalking at photos showing loads of bags and even a pitched tent in public parking garages, Elgin City Council members endorsed a city hall plan to tighten regulations regarding private property left in public spaces.
News | More severe weather could be on the way tonight. Here's what you need to know.A band of heavy thunderstorms is expected to move in to to the area Friday evening with the potential to bring large hail and damaging winds, the National Weather Service is reporting.
News | District 211 tries again to sell 62-acre Schaumburg sitePalatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 board members voted 6-1 Thursday to begin their second attempt to sell 62 vacant acres in Schaumburg by approving a contract with a home developer that was last year's third-highest bidder.
News | Caputo chosen to become COD's next presidentThe interim president who has been overseeing daily operations at the College of DuPage is poised to remove the "interim" part of his title. COD board members on Thursday night agreed to appoint Brian Caputo as the seventh president of the state's largest community college.
Music | 5 things to do this weekend in the suburbsGet out and have some fun: It's a party all Memorial Day weekend at Arlington International Racecourse, Hurricane Harbor opens for the season at Six Flags Great America, and Rosie & The Rivets rock Wheaton's Cantigny Park.
Columns | Feder: ESPN 1000 blasts Nielsen for ratings undercountA rare correction and admission of error by Nielsen Audio Thursday wasn't enough to satisfy WMVP 1000-AM after the ESPN Radio sports/talk station was shortchanged in the latest Chicago radio ratings, Robert Feder writes.
News | Mount Everest has gotten so crowded that climbers are perishing in the traffic jamsAt least seven people have died on Mount Everest this week, as a few days of clear weather attracted hundreds of climbers hoping to scale the 29,029 feet to the mountain's peak.
Music | Ahead of Rosemont Theatre show, Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford speaks his truthWith Judas Priest coming to the Rosemont Theatre Saturday, frontman Rob Halford talks about a revamped set list, the possibility of doing a retro album and why his iTunes playlist includes Hank Williams Jr. and Dolly Parton.
More Suburban News Find your community
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village water park parking not allowed at church
- Des PlainesLong-vacant Immanuel Lutheran Church school in Des Plaines to be occupied again
- NewsProspect High School senior named area's Journalist of the Year
- Cook CountyChicago man arrested at Arlington Heights area hotel on prostitution charge
- News100 years in the making -- video highlights Memorial Day in Arlington Heights
- Lake CountyBlanding's turtle recovery program a slow success in Lake County
- Mount ProspectDriver hospitalized after vehicle rolls over in Mount Prospect parking lot
- Prep SportsBoys track and field: Olenek, Jones jumping right in at state meet
- Prep SportsBoys tennis: Hersey's Sheldon on cruise control during first day at state
- Prep SportsBaseball: Burlington Central blows out Wheaton Academy
- Prep SportsBoys track and field: Hersey's Methner shooting for a 'double crown' at state
- Prep SportsBaseball: Towns' big day leads Fremd past Hersey, into regional final
- 12:06 PMEarly report of West Nile activity in DuPage County prompts health department advisory
- 10:41 AMLittle Angels Pledge Run returns June 2 to Woodstock Harley-Davidson
- 9:42 AMMundelein teen becomes Eagle Scout
- 9:39 AMLake Forest Swim Club to tee up its 6th annual golf outing
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
- 7:39 AMDucky Tradition at St. Emily School
Inside Daily Herald