News | Ta-da! Army dad's magical appearance surprises kids at St. Charles school
What a great trick! A St. Charles dad on Army overseas duty since last July surprised his kids at school Friday.
Transportation | 'There's nothing for these paramedics to do': Remembering the Flight 191 crashFormer Daily Herald photojournalist Dave Tonge reflects on covering the crash of Flight 191 that killed 273 in Des Plaines on May 25, 1979.
Columns | Rozner: Deerfield High grad India in the mix at Glen ClubHeading to the weekend, Deerfield's Vince India is in the mix for the Web.com Tour's Evans Scholars Invitational at the Glen Club.
Transportation | Tollway to O'Hare could cut through Flight 191 crash siteFor decades, officials have haggled over creating a western access for O'Hare International Airport. It would involve a tollway to be designated Interstate 490 to connect the Jane Addams with the Tri-State Tollway along the western flank of the airport. To accomplish that, the easiest link would be right through the Flight 191 crash site.
News | Trump opens state visit, needles Japan over trade issuesPresident Donald Trump has opened a state visit to Japan by needling the country over its trade imbalance with the U.S., teasing "Maybe that's why you like me so much."
Politics | After 2 suburban Democrats replaced, House committee advances tax rate billA graduated tax rate bill has joined the constitutional amendment that would allow for the implementation of such a tax structure in awaiting a vote from the full Illinois House. The measure advanced on a 9-6 party line vote Friday after House Speaker Michael Madigan replaced two "swing vote" suburban Democrats on the House Revenue & Finance Committee with substitutes.
Cubs | Cubs' Schwarber seeing some success in leadoff spotChicago Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he felt the time was right to give Kyle Schwarber another chance at being the leadoff hitter.
Politics | In wake of Sterigenics emissions, tighter controls clear Illinois HouseCompanies in Illinois that use the toxic chemical ethylene oxide may soon have to comply with stricter safety requirements.
Business | Amazon is working on a device to read human emotionsAmazon.com Inc. is developing a voice-activated wearable device that can recognize human emotions.
Entertainment | Festivals: Parades, ceremonies and more mark Memorial Day 2019 in the suburbsThe Memorial Day 2019 weekend kicks off the summer festival season with patriotic parades, somber ceremonies and suburban art fairs. Here's a list of events.
News | Flooding closes Starved Rock parking lots, muddies trailsState officials say flooding at Starved Rock State Park has forced parking lots to be closed at the popular destination. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources says the lack of parking may cause travel delays over the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
Music | 5 things to do this weekend in the suburbsGet out and have some fun: It's a party all Memorial Day weekend at Arlington International Racecourse, Hurricane Harbor opens for the season at Six Flags Great America, and Rosie & The Rivets rock Wheaton's Cantigny Park.
- 12:25 PMMike Pence calls West Point grads the 'best of the best'
- 12:23 PMHigh-stakes European Parliament vote shifts to 4 nations
- 12:00 PMNew evidence links Colombia army chief to civilian slayings
- 11:59 AMImages: Wheaton Warrenville South High School graduation
- 11:55 AMCorrection: damage at Noah's Ark attraction story
More Suburban News Find your community
- McHenry County86 years prison for 2nd man in 2017 McHenry-area murder, home invasion
- Des PlainesA 'second downtown' in Des Plaines? City leaders hope so
- BensenvilleDes Plaines man pleads guilty to 2017 stabbing murder in Bensenville
- ElginElgin 90-year-old steps down after over 30+ years on planning commission
- EducationLake Zurich 95 selects new superintendent
- Algonquin10 years prison for man who carjacked vehicle, tried to hit Algonquin cops
- NewsProspect High School senior named area's Journalist of the Year
- Des PlainesLong-vacant Immanuel Lutheran Church school in Des Plaines to be occupied again
- Buffalo GroveLee seeks recount in Buffalo Grove trustee April election
- Cook CountyChicago man arrested at Arlington Heights area hotel on prostitution charge
- ElginMeeting Tuesday for roundabout at Route 20 and Reinking Road
- NewsHow Arlington Heights will mark Memorial Day weekend
- 12:29 PMWords on Wheels selected as June recipient of Grand Foundation's 12 Months of Giving
- 12:06 PMEarly report of West Nile activity in DuPage County prompts health department advisory
- 10:41 AMLittle Angels Pledge Run returns June 2 to Woodstock Harley-Davidson
- 9:42 AMMundelein teen becomes Eagle Scout
- 9:39 AMLake Forest Swim Club to tee up its 6th annual golf outing
- 7:59 AMTransportation Options for Seniors: Finding Rides, Friday May 31
- 7:56 AMSchaumburg's Popular Farmers Market Returns May 31
- 7:44 AMHarper College student success agenda continues upward trajectory
Inside Daily Herald