News | Divided city leaders: Decision on future of cop who shot Clements will be 'a pivotal moment'
The imminent decision about whether to fire or discipline a police officer who fatally shot a woman last year is "a pivotal moment" for Elgin, city council members said Saturday.
Columns | Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy. Tet and My Lai. Amid turmoil, moon landing united a nation.Amid a barrage of turbulent and violent events, Americans staggered into 1969 longing for something to brighten the mood and bring America together. Putting a man on the moon was the answer.
News | Willow Creek elders hope to put Hybels harassment scandal to rest in statementWillow Creek elders issue a final statement on the misconduct scandal involving former Pastor Bill Hybels.
DuPage County | Jury: Oak Brook soldier guilty of predatory criminal sexual assaultA soldier from Oak Brook has been found guilty of repeatedly sexually assaulting a girl while he lived in her home, authorities announced.
Entertainment | Yeehaw! 7 things to do at the DuPage County FairThe DuPage County Fair opens Wednesday in Wheaton. Here's our guide to living your best farm life at the fair.
Cubs | Former Cubs pitcher Lee Smith inducted into Baseball Hall of FameLee Smith has been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
White Sox | Former White Sox slugger Harold Baines inducted into Baseball Hall of FameHarold Baines has been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Crime | Chicago man dead after hit-and-run crash on I-294 near RosemontA hit-and-run crash killed a Chicago man and injured one other person on southbound I-294 near Rosemont early Sunday morning, Illinois State Police said.
Columns | Lombard astronaut's first flight: a pretend trip to moonThe day after Neil Armstrong became the first person to step onto the moon, Dan Tani and his cousins spent the day playing astronaut under a makeshift living room tent, a moment captured on film by the then 8-year-old's mother. But as a real career, "astronaut never popped into my head" -- until he got a job in the aerospace industry, sent an application to NASA, went up in the space shuttle and lived on the International Space Station.
Columns | $300 million quickly for community colleges from state capital program: Is it for the right projects?More than $300 million has been earmarked for capital improvement projects at community college campuses across the state through Gov. J.B. Pritzker's "Rebuild Illinois" campaign, even though enrollment continues a steady decline statewide.
Transportation | No sweat -- hundreds hop on hogs in Downers Grove to raise money for police charitiesA crowd of about 400 state troopers and civilians braved the heat and hopped on hogs to ride from the suburbs to Springfield during an annual police fundraiser.
Columns | 'Space exploration is hard. We make it look easy,' says longtime NASA director from SchaumburgGrowing up in Schaumburg, Cathy Larson watched the moon landing and played with toys that supported science and technology. Now Catherine Koerner, she has a 25-year career with NASA that includes seven years as flight director for the Space Shuttle and International Space Station missions.
Opinion | Transforming Route 53 Corridor into a Nature Trail Would be a Landmark achievement for Lake CountyGuest columnist Joseph Mancino: Now that studies for the proposed Route 53 extension have come to a halt, it's time to accelerate work on constructive strategies that will relieve Lake County's traffic congestion without compromising the natural landscape that defines the character of our communities.
- 8:21 PMHeat and humidity grip East Coast as Midwest gets reprieve
- 8:11 PMPuerto Rico gov will not seek reelection, but won't resign
- 7:49 PMClashes involving Hong Kong's protest movement grow violent
- 7:25 PMPolice: Crash on Interstate 70 leaves 2 dead, 1 hospitalized
- 7:07 PM3-time Grand Slam doubles winner Peter McNamara dies at 64
More Suburban News Find your community
- NapervilleNaperville family displaced by house fire
- Mount Prospect3 taken to hospital after 5-vehicle Mount Prospect crash
- NewsTwo taken to hospital after crash involving motorcycle, vehicles
- Lake CountyBicyclist, 63, struck by car early Saturday in Beach Park
- SchaumburgStorm front moves through to end the heat wave
- WheelingCity Works opening in Wheeling in August
- BusinessNew doggy day care coming to Arlington Heights
- SchaumburgEverclear, 10,000 Maniacs, tribute to Elton John to play Schaumburg's Septemberfest
- BarringtonTo former Barrington resident, famed astronaut 'was simply Uncle Neil'
- AuroraChild sex offenders living at Aurora shelter sue city over demand they move
- PalatineWisconsin man charged with sexually abusing girl in Arlington Heights
- PalatinePalatine leaders optimistic about potential for site of closed Holiday Inn Express
- 4:02 PM10th annual Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive set Aug. 11 at Veterans Memorial Park
- 11:09 PMChristmas in July offers half-price Cocoa Crawl travel mug
- 10:51 PMAID's Fox Valley Crisis Line seeks volunteers
- 8:37 PMMarklund Hyde Center students raise and release monarch butterflies
- 2:10 PMEnjoy Storytime in Glen Ellyn park July 23
- 1:48 PMSign up by Aug. 5 for Field of Dreams 5K Race
- 10:52 AMJuly 22-25: Explore a new career at CLC Days
- 10:52 AMJuly 23: CLC to host author, Professor Hall Gardner for presentation on building world peace
Inside Daily Herald