Columns | Creative con artists pounce during COVID-19 pandemic
Ever-creative con artists and unscrupulous businesses taking advantage of COVID-19, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau say.
Politics | University of Illinois rolls out new test as state reports almost 2,000 more COVID-19 infectionsUniversity of Illinois scientists ramping up potentially game-changing rapid COVID-19 test as new cases of COVID-19 rise by 1,953 Thursday, the highest daily tally since May 24.
Prep Sports | How high schools are allowing certain fall sports on campus while full remote learning is in effectHow high schools are using their return to sports model to get small groups of students back on campus for certain academic situations, even during full remote learning.
Crime | Mayor, residents condemn vandalism of Arlington Heights church's 'Black Lives Matter' signA banner quoting a Bible verse followed by "Black Lives Matter" in front of an Arlington Heights church was damaged twice in the past week -- the most recent in a spate of race-based vandalism in town since May.
Business | 'Good old southern food' coming to NapervilleIt's a Southern Thing, a restaurant popular in Durham, North Carolina, is coming to Naperville with an opening planned for Monday.
News | Glen Ellyn District 41 shifts to all-remote learning for fallGlen Ellyn Elementary District 41 has joined the growing list of school systems starting the new year with all-remote learning amid a raging pandemic.
Business | Pheasant Run memorabilia will be available in online auctionThe decor, the memorabilia, the fixtures along Bourbon Street all contributed to the lure and charm of the iconic Pheasant Run Resort. An online auction next week offers an opportunity to preserve the history and recreate the ambience of the decades-old St. Charles hotel and entertainment hub that ceased operations earlier this year.
Blackhawks | 4 keys to Chicago Blackhawks claiming Game 4 vs. OilersHere are John Dietz's keys to a Blackhawks victory in Game 4 of their best-of-five series against Edmonton. The Hawks are up two games to one.
News | Coronavirus wreaks havoc on Illinois' state revenues, but pot is a bright spotOn paper, Illinois' fiscal year looks to be off to a strong start. But that's fueled largely by a delay in income tax return filings that "temporarily mask" the effects that COVID-19 is having on the economy, according to a report released this week.
News | Reservist alleges military service led to his firing from Northbrook-based charityAn Army reservist from Vernon Hills filed a federal lawsuit against Northbrook-based Keshet claiming he was fired from his position as the social service organization's external affairs director because of his military service. Lt. Scott "Shalom" Klein leads an Arlington Heights reserve unit,
Crime | Sex offender at center of Lake Park scandal now charged with being in Elmhurst schoolA sex offender at the center of the 2019 Lake Park High School football controversy is now facing a charge that he was in an Elmhurst elementary school illegally in February.
Columns | Feder: Will next Chicago Tribune newsroom be virtual?Speculation turned serious Thursday with news that Tribune Publishing was negotiating to break its lease at One Prudential Plaza just two years after moving from Tribune Tower, which had been the newspaper's home for 93 years.
Crime | 15-year-old boy slain in GlenviewGlenview police are investigating the killing of a 15-year-old boy. According to a news release issued Thursday, Elias Valdez was found about 7 p.m. Wednesday lying in a grassy area on the 1200 block of Greenwood Road. He had suffered a puncture wound to the chest.
- 7:30 AMMilwaukee chief demoted over tear-gas use, other concerns
- 7:29 AMPower outage leaves several blocks in the dark in Manhattan
- 7:21 AMThe Latest: EU Council president heading to Beirut for talks
- 7:20 AMSeth Rogen does double duty in sweet 'An American Pickle'
- 7:07 AMFor Liam Neeson and son, 'Made in Italy' was a family affair
More Suburban News Find your community
- Kane CountyYorkville woman with pending 4th DUI case charged in 10 more cases
- EducationAward-winning Neuqua teacher's next challenge: Turning engineering curriculum remote
- St. Charles'A paradigm shift': How St. Charles is promoting the use of face masks
- EducationEducator who helped design, run Palatine High School dies at 93
- CarpentersvilleFree COVID-19 testing offered in Carpentersville, Elgin
- BataviaBatavia middle, high schoolers to begin with all-remote learning
- WinfieldWinfield schedules public hearing on Town Center redevelopment
- Lake in the HillsNorth Barrington village dministrator returning to Lake in the Hills
- EducationDist. 214 superintendent, Dist. 21 board member will be on 'Beyond the Beltway'
- Des PlainesRiver Road resurfacing project set to begin Monday
- NewsCoach's corner: (Almost) 20 questions about the 2020-21 high school sports seasons
- NewsKohl Children's Museum in Glenview now open to the public again
- 7:37 PMIt's Showtime Theatre's virtual talent show premieres online
- 7:15 PMSaint Viator to offer CarpooltoSchool App for school families
- 4:45 PMSix Downers Grove Boy Scouts earn Eagle Scout rank
- 4:36 PMSummer Haiku Project delivers an outlet for West Chicago creativity
- 4:12 PMCollege of DuPage to offer creative writing certificate program
- 4:06 PMState Reps. Weber, Reick to host Shredding Day and Food Drive Aug. 22
- 3:58 PMMarklund presents advocacy awards to elected officials
- 3:53 PMTwo College of DuPage students receive Chicagoland Transfer Award to attend Columbia College Chicago
Inside Daily Herald