Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Olympics
IOC official: Slopestyle injuries “unacceptable”Apr 11, 2014 12:00 AM
Maybe Shaun White was right all along. An International Olympic Committee official charged with monitoring injury rates at the games says the new discipline of slopestyle produced an “unacceptably high” number of injuries in its debut at the Sochi Olympics and should be dropped in future if that doesn’t improve.
Rio mayor says workers must make up lost timeApr 11, 2014 12:00 AM
More than 2,000 workers at Rio de Janeiro’s 2016 Olympic venues remained on strike Friday, and the city’s mayor warned that the workers will have to make up for lost time.
Prosecutor mocks Pistorius’ version of eventsApr 10, 2014 12:00 AM
The chief prosecutor laughed scornfully at an answer from Oscar Pistorius during the Olympic athlete’s murder trial Thursday, mocking the man who shot his girlfriend. The judge sternly instructed the prosecutor to restrain himself and he apologized — then went right back to trying to pick holes in the testimony of the double-amputee runner.
Pistorius refuses to look at photo of dead loverApr 9, 2014 12:00 AM
A shaken Oscar Pistorius refused to look at a gruesome photo of his slain girlfriend’s bloodied head on Wednesday, telling a prosecutor through tears, “I don’t have to look at a picture. I was there.”
Pistorius sobs while recalling shootingApr 8, 2014 12:00 AM
A subdued Oscar Pistorius on Tuesday described dinner at home, chatting and looking at cell phone photos with Reeva Steenkamp on the last night of her life. Then he erupted in anguished howls and heaving sobs while testifying at his murder trial about the moments when he says he realized he shot his girlfriend through a closed toilet door.
Meet U.S. Olympian Bozek at Special Olympics fundraiserApr 2, 2014 12:00 AM
U.S. Olympian Megan Bozek will meet and pose for pictures with fans Friday at a fundraiser in Buffalo Grove to benefit Special Olympics. The event takes place at 6 p.m. at the Continental Restaurant, 788 Buffalo Grove Road in Buffalo Grove.
Olympian Megan Bozek returns to Stevenson HighMar 12, 2014 12:00 AM
Olympic hockey player and Stevenson High School alumna Megan Bozek returned to her alma mater Wednesday for the first time since winning a silver medal in Sochi. Bozek, of Buffalo Grove, received a standing ovation from more than 100 students, teachers, coaches and administrators when she took the stage in an auditorium.
Pistorius trial: Bullet-holed toilet door in courtMar 12, 2014 12:00 AM
Kneeling, a South African police officer on Wednesday swung a cricket bat at a toilet door erected in the courtroom at Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial, using two key pieces of evidence to partially re-enact the night the athlete killed his girlfriend by shooting her through the same door more than a year ago.
Friend: ‘Mad’ Pistorius shot gun out car sunroofMar 11, 2014 12:00 AM
Oscar Pistorius’ friend testified Tuesday that the Olympian twice fired guns in public in the six months before he killed his girlfriend, once without warning through the sunroof of a moving car following an angry altercation with a policeman who had handled Pistorius’ pistol. Darren Fresco said he asked Pistorius immediately after the sunroof shooting if he was “mad” and the world-famous runner “just laughed” at him.
Team USA members stop in O’HareFeb 24, 2014 12:00 AM
Cheers and chants of “U-S-A!” erupted in Terminal 1 of O’Hare International Airport Monday afternoon as roughly 20 Olympic athletes from Team USA — including four medalist — came through Chicago on their way home from the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. "It’s good to be home,” said silver medalist speed skater Eduardo “Eddy” Alvarez, of Salt Lake City, the first Cuban-American male to make an American Olympic skating team.
Costly, political, successful: Sochi Games endFeb 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Austrian Olympic Committee:Skier positive for EPOFeb 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Austrian cross-country skier Johannes Duerr has been kicked out of the Sochi Games after testing positive for EPO, the country’s Olympic committee said Sunday. It is the fifth doping case of the Olympics and the first involving the blood-boosting drug EPO.
Images: Winter Olympics, Sunday, February 23Feb 23, 2014 12:00 AM
The 2014 Olymics in Sochi, Russia held closing ceremonies after the final day of events that included the men's hockey, bobsledding and cross-country skiing. Canada defeated Sweden 3-0 for the gold medal in hockey and USA-1 won the bronze in four-man bobsledding.
After Sochi, what's next for Winter Olympics?Feb 23, 2014 12:00 AM
The sheer cost, size and scale of the Sochi Olympics has outstripped anything done before. The question for future Winter Games is clear: Can anyone — should anyone — try to top that? The huge financial investment, massive security apparatus and litany of logistical issues has thrown up major challenges to potential future Winter Olympic host cities.
Shaun White is most chatted on FacebookFeb 22, 2014 12:00 AM
Snowboarder Shaun White is the most buzzed-about Olympic athlete on Facebook but figure skating is by far the sport that attracts the most interest. The social media site said that more than 24 million people have commented on the Olympics during Sochi’s first week, with a total of 48 million posts, comments and “likes.”
Highland Park medalist Jason Brown still smiling as Olympics wind downFeb 22, 2014 12:00 AM
Still celebating his bronze-medal win in team figure skating, Highland Park's Jason Brown talks candidly about his Olympic victory and his love of the sport in this exclusive Q&A. "The outpouring of support from my community has been more than I could have ever imagined."
Images: Winter Olympics, Saturday, February 22ndFeb 22, 2014 12:00 AM
Images from Saturday at the 2014 Winter Olympic games in Sochi.
Two Olympians kicked out for dopingFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
A top German biathlete and an Italian bobsledder were kicked out of the Sochi Olympics on Friday in the first doping cases of the Winter Games.
Images: Winter Olympics, Friday, February 21stFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Images of Friday at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games. Highlights include a semifinal loss for Team USA men's hockey, alpine skiing, short track speedskating, and much more.
Canada beats U.S. 1-0 to reach gold-medal gameFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Jamie Benn scored in the second period, Carey Price made 31 saves, and Canada beat the United States 1-0 Friday night in the semifinals of the Olympic men’s hockey tournament. Canada advanced to the gold-medal match Sunday against Sweden, which beat Finland 2-1 in the earlier semifinal at Bolshoy Ice Dome.
- Fire damages downtown Naperville restaurant
- Big trade brings Cubs closer to winning
- McCarthy and Falcone are goofballs in matrimony
- NBA waiting on decisions by James, Anthony
- Woman crashes SUV into Buffalo Grove store
- Horses, goat die in barn fire near Wauconda
- With trade, Cubs' Epstein sees light at end of tunnel
- Al Salvi remembers run-in with IRS's Lois Lerner
- Did Cubs' Epstein get taken for a ride?
- Car hits house in Elk Grove Village
- Neighbors decry car-racing noise at Sears Centre
- The top six fireworks shows in the suburbs
- Berkshire Partners to buy Portillo's restaurants
- Where the Wheaton College ruling could lead
- 'Fantastic horseman' Bruce Duchossois dies at 64
- Local clergy hand out condoms at Aurora Hobby Lobby store
- Sources: Cubs trade Samardzija, Hammel to Oakland
- When, where to see fireworks in the suburbs
- Ryan: 'Americans should come to their senses'
- Three injured in Fox River watercraft accident
- CARGO RAMP PASSENGER WAREHOUSE - Come start your career. Join the Total Airport Services Team today at O'Hare Airport. Visit us at www.tasinc.aero or call 773.686.0100 (id:4377951) MANAGEMENT ANALYST - Management Analyst for Vorne Industries, Inc. in Itasca, IL to create new line of business for manuf. improvement services. Develop/ implement service offerings to deliver best practices for improving manuf. productivity. Req's Master's (or foreign equivalent) in Bus. Admin. Marketing, or Mgmt Consulting + 2 yrs. Exp. providing consulting services to companies in manufacturing improvement; OR a Bachelor's + 5 yrs. Exp. Also req's: expertise creating/implementing systems to enhance manufacturing productivity, using OEE, Six Big Losses, Theory of Constraints and SMED; providing onsite consulting services internationally to manuf. companies; and creating training programs and audit and governance documentation. Position requires approximately 20% domestic and int'l travel. Submit resume to email@example.com. (id:4378257) ORTHODONTIC ASSISTANT - Orthodontic Assistant FT- Must be gentle & high energy. Exp & bilingul(spanish) a plus. 8-6 M-F, Tu 6:30 pm, Sa 8-12 firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4378963)
- CLEANING - CLEANING Earn $11-13/hr. Daytime hours M-F. Weekly pay. Car necessary. Call Merry Maids, 847-352-1051. (id:4379109) FOOD SERVICE - Food Service The Deerfield Golf Club is looking for experienced food service workers. -PT Cook -7 days, 10a-10p -Outside Grill Cook - Fri-Sun 8a-4p -Outside Beverage Cart - Fri-Sun 8a-4p Starting Wages - Cook $10-12 DOE, Beverage and Grill Station Attendant $8.25+tips Apply online at www.deerfieldparks.org or call Shaun at (847) 945-8333 for additional information. (id:4379019) RECEPTIONIST - Community Connections Center -Intake Coordinator/ Receptionist (Part-time) The Village of Mount Prospect, Illinois, population 54,000 is located 22 miles from downtown Chicago and five miles north of O'Hare International Airport. The Human Services Department is seeking a qualified individual for the part-time Intake Coordinator/Receptionist position at the Community Connections Center. The Intake Coordinator/Receptionist provides administrative support to the Community Connections Center Coordinator, the Mount Prospect Public Library South Branch and partner agencies. Support consists of, but is not limited to, general office duties, assisting visitors to the center with inquires, providing information and referrals, scheduling appointments, conducting intake and entering data. Qualified candidates must be bilingual in English and Spanish, have knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, possess a valid Illinois Driver's License and be able to work flexible hours. An Associate's or Bachelor's degree in the Human Services field is preferred. The position offers an average of 20-25 hours per week depending on operational needs of the center, participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) and part-time paid vacation benefits after one (1) year of employment. Starting rate is $16.00 -$19.00 per hour depending on qualifications. Send resume and cover letter to Julie Kane, Human Services Director, Village of Mount Prospect, 50 S. Emerson St, Mount Prospect, IL 60056, Fax: (847) 818-5321, Email: email@example.com. Application forms are available for download at www.mountprospect.org. EOE (id:4378619)
- DRIVER - driver National DCP is the exclusive sourcing and distribution provider for Dunkin' Donuts Brand, and is seeking experienced Class A Route Drivers $27.00 Per Hour Plus Overtime National DCP offers great benefits, Overtime Pay over 40 hours, and the potential to earn $80,000 Annually! $2,500 SIGNING BONUS after 90 days of employment! Required Experience/Qualifications: -2 years' experience and clean driving record -Ability to lift up to 50 pounds -Must clear all required DOT pre-employment screening APPLY NOW! -IN PERSON BETWEEN 8AM AND 4PM: NATIONAL DCP 9000 W. 192nd Street, Mokena, IL 60487 -EMAIL: Drivers@natdcp.com -PHONE: (855) 637-3341 EOE M/F/D/V (id:4379016) DRIVER - Driver Local, Regional and Linehaul LTL Runs $1500 SIGN-ON Bonus EXCELLENT HOMETIME! Paid Orientation Great Pay 11 Day Refresher Course Available EEOE/AAP 866-323-7875 www.driveFFE.com (id:4377991) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4378514)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.