Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Olympics
Brown, Gold among elite skaters at Sears Centre this weekend Oct 24, 2014 5:26 AM
Some of the top figure skaters in the world, including suburban Olympians Gracie Gold and Jason Brown, will compete at Hoffman Estates' Sears Centre Arena this weekend at the 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America, the first major skating competition held in the Chicago area since 1946.
’Blade Runner’ Pistorius gets 5 years in prison Oct 21, 2014 10:12 PM
Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, completing a transformation from an acclaimed sprinter at the 2012 Olympics to a convicted criminal led away in a police van with barred windows.
Shaun White bringing action sports to Rose Bowl Oct 17, 2014 6:03 PM
Shaun White is bringing a two-day festival featuring action sports, music, fashion, art and food to the Rose Bowl on Feb. 21-22. The Olympian announced Friday that he will participate in snowboarding and skateboarding exhibitions at Air + Style, which White will host and produce through his own company.
Prosecutor wants 10 years in prison for Pistorius Oct 17, 2014 9:08 AM
The chief prosecutor in the Oscar Pistorius trial urged the judge on Friday to send the Olympic athlete to prison for at least 10 years, calling it the minimum acceptable term and noting the horrific nature of the shooting death of Reeva Steenkamp. Judge Thokozile Masipa is expected to announce Pistorius’ sentence on Tuesday.
Steenkamp cousin: Pistorius apology not genuine Oct 16, 2014 6:01 PM
Oscar Pistorius must “pay for what he’s done” and his apology to the family of the girlfriend he killed was not sincere, a cousin of Reeva Steenkamp said Thursday as testimonies wrapped up.
Hong denies Biles 3rd gold at gymnastics worlds Oct 11, 2014 6:48 PM
Hong Un Jong of North Korea won the vault event on Saturday, denying Simone Biles of the United States a third gold medal at the gymnastics world championships. Hong received 15.599 points to secure North Korea’s first medal at the meet. Biles, who won her second all-around title on Friday and also won gold from the team event, took silver with 15.554 points. Mykayla Skinner of the United States was third with 15.366 points.
Police: Phelps’ eyes, speech affected at DUI stop Oct 1, 2014 5:37 PM
Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps registered .14 percent on a blood-alcohol test after he was stopped on a speeding violation, according to charging documents released Wednesday. The legal limit for intoxication in Maryland is .08. Phelps, 29, was charged Tuesday with driving under the influence, excessive speed and crossing double lane lines in the Fort McHenry Tunnel on Interstate 95 in his native Baltimore, according to the Maryland Transportation Authority Police.
Olympian Michael Phelps apologizes for DUI arrest Sep 30, 2014 6:56 PM
Michael Phelps’ comeback has been sidetracked by more trouble away from the pool. The Olympic champion was arrested for the second time on DUI charges early Tuesday in his hometown of Baltimore, another embarrassment for a swimmer who came out of retirement this year with his sights set on competing at the Rio Games.
Pistorius could get 15 years for culpable homicide Sep 12, 2014 11:10 AM
A South African judge on Friday found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide in the shooting death of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp but declared him not guilty of murder. Prosecutors said they were disappointed by the ruling but would decide on whether to appeal only after sentencing. Judge Thokozile Masipa said there was not enough evidence to support the contention that Pistorius intended to kill Steenkamp.
Pistorius not guilty of murder but was negligent Sep 11, 2014 7:23 PM
During his trial, Oscar Pistorius sometimes retched and sobbed. The double-amputee Olympian sobbed again on Thursday, this time in apparent relief as a judge said the evidence did not support a murder conviction for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. The judge could still convict Pistorius of a negligent killing — a crime that can carry a lengthy jail term or just a suspended sentence and fine — when she likely finishes reading her lengthy conclusions in court on Friday.
Phelps dealing with defeat in comeback Aug 16, 2014 3:57 PM
Michael Phelps has always fed off adversity. Not that the most decorated Olympian has faced much in the pool. Until now. Phelps lost all four of his races at the recent U.S. national championships. Hardly shocking for a guy who is four months out of retirement, but somewhat surprising for someone who already owns 53 national titles.
Rio organizers: 1st Olympic test event successful Aug 9, 2014 6:30 PM
Rio organizers say the sailing competition that marked the first test event for the 2016 Games was “a great success.” Organizers said all objectives were “successfully reached” in the seven-day event that ended Saturday. Nearly 330 athletes from 35 countries participated in the regatta, the biggest ever held in Brazil. In a statement, local organizers made no direct reference to water pollution at the bay, a topic that has attracted a lot of negative attention after officials admitted they will not be able to completely clean the site until 2016.
Verdict in Pistorius trial scheduled for Sept. 11 Aug 8, 2014 9:27 AM
The judge in the murder trial of Oscar Pistorius said Friday that she will give a verdict on Sept. 11, ending a televised trial that stretched for five months and transfixed South Africans and others around the world.
Prosecutor: Oscar Pistorius is ‘appalling witness’ Aug 7, 2014 9:27 AM
Oscar Pistorius was an “appalling witness” who repeatedly lied in his testimony in a crude attempt to defend against a murder charge for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, the chief prosecutor said Thursday during closing arguments in the athlete’s trial. Prosecutor Gerrie Nel also harshly criticized the legal team of the double-amputee athlete, saying it floated more than one theory about what happened on the night that Pistorius shot Steenkamp through a closed toilet door in his home.
Paralympic medalist to lead Illinois State Fair parade Aug 6, 2014 6:33 AM
A member of the U.S.’s gold medal-winning Paralympic sled hockey team will serve as grand marshal of the Illinois State Fair twilight parade. Kevin McKee is a member of the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago hockey team. He’s skated on Team USA’s international squad since 2010. He and his teammates won first place in the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Gov. Pat Quinn announced Tuesday that McKee will lead the parade, which kicks off the fair on Thursday night. In a statement, Quinn says McKee “represents the spirit of Illinois — optimism, passion, and a drive to succeed regardless of life’s obstacles.” McKee says it’s an honor to be selected. He adds he feels blessed to be able to share the day with so many other very talented people.”
Phelps signs with new suit company Aug 5, 2014 11:09 AM
Michael Phelps has been linked with Speedo throughout his swimming career, most notably collecting a $1 million bonus after he won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games. Now, as he comes back from retirement, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history will have a different look. Phelps is announcing Tuesday that he has signed a deal with Aqua Sphere, a company that has extensive experience with triathlons and recreational swimming but will be designing a racing suit for the first time.
Pistorius gets into nightclub argument Jul 15, 2014 7:58 PM
Oscar Pistorius was in an altercation at an upmarket nightclub over the weekend, his family said Tuesday. Pistorius went with a cousin to a trendy Johannesburg nightclub on Saturday, where he was accosted by a man who aggressively questioned him about his murder trial, a family spokeswoman said.
Report: Thorpe to reveal he is gay Jul 12, 2014 5:54 PM
Australian media report five-time Olympic swimming gold medalist Ian Thorpe will reveal he is gay in a television interview with English talk show host Michael Parkinson, to be broadcast in Australia on Sunday.
Phelps a bit miffed that he’s not going faster Jul 10, 2014 5:05 PM
Michael Phelps figured he would be swimming faster by now. His coach believes he’s right on schedule. Phelps will get a final tuneup before the national championships when he competes in a special meet at the University of Georgia, featuring Ryan Lochte and some of the world’s top swimmers. Beginning Friday, Phelps will swim three events in three days, another important step in showing how fit he is since coming out of retirement. Coach Bob Bowman says he’s pleased with Phelps’ progress and sees no reason why he can’t eventually come close to some of the times he put up in the prime of his career. But Phelps is a bit miffed that he’s not going faster, only now realizing how difficult it is to return from a long layoff.
Pistorius trial: Defense ends its case Jul 8, 2014 10:58 AM
The murder trial of Oscar Pistorius moved closer to a verdict on Tuesday when the defense ended its case. In early August the judge will hear final arguments that will highlight opposing portraits of the Paralympic athlete — a gun-obsessed egotist who shot girlfriend Reeva Steekamp in a rage or a vulnerable figure with a disability who pulled the trigger in a tragic case of mistaken identity.
- A trip back in time
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- 2 fire districts field 'emotionally charged' questions
- ESHOF to honor Nemmers with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Cubs make it official: Rick Renteria out, Joe Maddon in
- Insurance firm sues to avoid cost of arrested-cops cases
- Trial date set for ex-Bear Avellini on DUI charges
- Sold-out Chicago match marks rugby's soaring popularity
- Oak Brook woman still learning and teaching at 83
- Reputed street gang members accused of illegal drug, firearm sales
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Family questions response to Elgin man who died
- Shooting suspect caught after passers-by spotted him
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- FBI says Bolingbrook teen hoped to join ISIS
- Bolingbrook teen in ISIS case called intelligent, normal
- Facebook post gets heat from Elgin police
- How Island Lake cops' heroic actions saved lives
- Skies now more friendly for kids on autism spectrum
- DuPage County Board mourns death of J.R. McBride
- CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961) QUALITY CONTROL - Quality Control Mechanical inspectors In-process & final inspections CMM experience a plus. Email Resume: email@example.com (id:4389842) COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - Computer -Network & Computer Systems Administrator, Provide Network/Server system support for all dept. Bachelor's in Comp. Sci., IT related. Min. 1yr. exp. in network & computer SA. Mail resume to HR Mgr, Nuwave, LLC. 1795 N. Butterfield Rd, Libertyville, IL 60048 (id:4389213)
- POWER UNIT BUILDER - Hydraulic lift manufacturer in St. Charles, Illinois has an immediate full time opening for a panel-power unit builder. Candidate must have extensive electrical, electronic and hydraulic experience to layout and build control panels and power units from Cad drawings, electrical schematics and hydraulic drawings. Candidate must be well versed in the use of hand and power tools as well as various multimeters and hydraulic valve test equipment. Send resume to fax# (630) 584-9895 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389188) NURSING INSTRUCTORS - Education MORTON COLLEGE, seeks ADJUNCT NURSING ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS, for Spring 2015. For more info., see our ad under "Nursing" EOE (id:4389469) MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to email@example.com Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.