Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Lifestyle
Preparing amaryllis for a Christmastime show Oct 30, 2014 6:00 AM
Ready, set, go. Just as soon as you have new amaryllis bulbs, pot them up, and in a few months the spectacular, colorful trumpets will unfold. With luck, or if the bulbs were from South Africa, Brazil or greenhouses in Israel, you’ll have blooms by Christmastime. That’s because it’s spring in the southern hemisphere, and effectively so in Israeli greenhouses.
Right at home: Artistry and artifice in new tiles Oct 30, 2014 6:00 AM
Tile has a rich and varied history in decor, from Roman floor mosaics to majolica to Delft ceramics to Mexican terracotta. These styles and more continue to inspire artistry. Many of the newest collections of ceramic and porcelain tile were on display this fall at the five-day Cersaie international exhibition in Bologna, Italy.
Samsung Life told to brace for 96-year life spans Oct 30, 2014 7:55 AM
South Korea’s insurers have been told by regulators to boost capital to prepare for an aging population, with the United Nations predicting a world-beating average life expectancy of 95.5 years by the end of the century.
Viral video documents New York street harassment Oct 30, 2014 9:30 AM
A video recording the comments a woman hears as she walks around the nation’s biggest city is a testament to the pervasiveness of street harassment women face, its creators said. The video, shot over 10 hours one day, has set off a storm of outrage on its way to more than 15 million views since it was released online Tuesday.
Sleep Out Saturday raises awareness, money for ‘hidden homeless’ Oct 29, 2014 5:30 AM
On Nov. 1, about 2,000 kids and adults are expected to take part in Bridge Communities' biggest fundraiser of the year, Sleep Out Saturday. The event begins with a 7 p.m. rally in the organization's parking lot. Participants will then head out to more than 75 “sleep out” sites throughout the county, where they will spend the night outside in cardboard boxes, tents or cars. “We’re creating an opportunity for people to really feel what that is like to be a homeless person," said Jennie Gates, manager of special events for Bridge Communities.
Buffalo-Style Quinoa Chili Oct 29, 2014 6:01 AM
Like the Buffalo wing profile but not so crazy about the "wing" part? Dig a spoon into a bowl of vegetarian Buffalo-style chili. Blue cheese not optional.
Read the dog food labels to find the right fit for your pet Oct 29, 2014 1:48 PM
I’d gone to the store to buy my dog some treats and was wandering through the dog food aisles. With all of the new brands and various formulated diets, I wondered if there wasn’t a newer and better food on the shelf than one I give my dog now.
Palatine H.S. fall craft fair Nov. 8 Oct 29, 2014 2:09 PM
The Palatine High School Pirate Booster Club presents the annual Palatine High School Fall Craft Fair from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 8. Over 1,500 people attend the event annually, and over 150 vendors participate each year. The craft fair will be held at Palatine High School, 1111 North Rohlwing Road, Palatine.
Libertyville High students wrap up annual food drive by loading trucks Oct 29, 2014 1:55 PM
An annual traditional mixing charity, teamwork and a healthy dose of manual labor continued Wednesday morning at Libertyville High School. About 40 students came together before school to load two trucks with boxes and bags filled with donated items from a recent food drive. More than 8,300 items were collected.
Pope praises ‘heroic’ responders to Ebola Oct 29, 2014 10:42 AM
Pope Francis has praised the “heroic” response by doctors, nurses and volunteers helping contain the Ebola epidemic and has urged renewed international efforts to defeat the virus.
Coco Rocha showcases the art of posing in new book Oct 29, 2014 5:45 AM
Supermodel Coco Rocha is known for her ability to strike a pose, but she says it wasn’t always appreciated. When she moved to New York, people thought she was overzealous with her posing, but what made her different ended up being appreciated — for the most part, she said. Now she has compiled a coffee-table-style book of 1,000 poses titled, “Study of Pose,” out Tuesday.
Sleep Out Saturday to raise money for the homeless on Nov. 1 Oct 29, 2014 9:03 AM
Bridge Communities will sponsor its 11th annual Sleep Out Saturday on Nov. 1 to raise money for housing and other programs for homeless families in DuPage County.
Cantigny 5K benefits homeless veterans Oct 29, 2014 9:07 AM
Runners of all ages can raise money to benefit the Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans during the 11th annual Cantigny 5K Run/Walk on Saturday, Nov. 1. The race steps off at 9 a.m. at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton.
Funding to tame an Ebola outbreak has fallen short Oct 29, 2014 11:57 AM
The nation’s preparedness effort to fight outbreaks of Ebola and other infectious diseases has been under-funded and lacking in political will and commitment.
Sandy’s mental health impact looms large Oct 29, 2014 12:19 PM
New York health officials estimate about 700,000 residents are still experiencing mental health problems from Superstorm Sandy, which hit on Oct 29, 2012. In the 15 months since Sandy, New Jersey has supported a disaster mental health program that served 500,000 people. “There’s just this sort of cumulative stress that has taken a toll on people,” said Renee Burawski, director of Office for Sandy Recovery in the New Jersey Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services.
A little discipline can accomplish a lot Oct 29, 2014 12:21 PM
Good things can be accomplished in our lives by applying a little bit of discipline.
No trick-or-treaters? Buy Halloween candy anyway! Oct 29, 2014 6:00 AM
Don Stewart and his wife will be home with the lights on Halloween night, waiting for trick-or-treaters. But like a lot of folks who stock up on candy, they’ll probably end up eating it themselves. “My wife and I buy candy every year, knowing that trick-or-treaters won’t come to see us,” said Stewart, an artist in Homewood, Alabama.
Delnor Glen Senior Living to offer “Introduction to Essential Oils” Oct 29, 2014 8:48 PM
Delnor Glen Senior Living will offer "Introduction to Essential Oils" at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 3, at 975 N. Fifth Ave., St. Charles. Come to a fun and informative talk about how you can use essential oils to improve your health and well-being.
GreenFields of Geneva residents visit Casey’s Safe Haven Oct 29, 2014 8:52 PM
Eleven residents from GreenFields of Geneva visited Casey’s Safe Haven earlier this month. Casey’s is a nonprofit equine rescue in Elburn.
Drawing on friends to bury happy, outgoing 30-year-old Oct 30, 2014 6:48 AM
An artist who taught cartooning to kids, St. Charles native Matt Jordan died at age 30. Friend and fellow artist Peter Keene is heading an effort to raise enough money to bury Jordan next to his mother.
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- DuPage drug cops 'making a difference' in heroin fight
- Rozner: Cubs' pursuit of Maddon strictly business
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Waukegan school district, teachers reach tentative deal
- Rauner vs. Quinn: Seven issues where they will clash
- Our Lady of Destiny School in Des Plaines closing
- Tres, St. Viator blank Antioch
- Attorney general: DuPage forest preserve should release termination letter
- Indications point to Maddon, but Cubs mum
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Sleepy Hollow voters asked to double their taxes
- Fremd educator named Illinois Teacher of the Year
- Vernon Hills readying for Biden's visit
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- Pumpkin seeds and carving take center stage at BatFest
- Round Lake's homecoming parade a rousing affair
- Kaneland blanks Hampshire for regional title
- Tri-Cities police reports
- Palatine artist repairing his horse statue in Chicago
- AUTO SALES - Auto AUTO SALES -HIRING FAIR - Start Your New Career...No Experience Needed...We Will Train You the Right Way to Sell Cars! The BOB ROHRMAN AUTO GROUP is not only the Midwest's #1 volume family-owned auto group, we're also an industry leader in ethical sales. We're looking for 10 to 20 good men & women to join our staff of sales professionals. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a positive, family-oriented dealership that does things the RIGHT WAY! As a result of continued rapid growth, The Bob Rohrman Auto Group is currently hiring multiple sales consultants at multiple locations. If you are selected WE OFFER: FREE 3-day training class at Rohrman University $50,000 -$75,000+ annual earning potential! Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Etc. Career advancement op- portunities to management Excellent floor traffic, in- ventory & a great reputa- tion in the community! We require of our sale team: Professional appearance with good communication skills. If you are bilingual that is a real advantage. Must have integrity, with a positive attitude & a strong work ethic Willing to learn & be recep- tive to new ideas You must be a team player We are a drug-free, equal opportunity employer Valid drivers license Interviews: Tuesday, October 28 - 3pm to 7pm Interviews held at: -ARLINGTON NISSAN 1100 West Dundee Road, Arlington Heights, IL -Just east of Route 53 on Dundee Road. No appointment necessary but if you need to schedule a specific time contact: JR Rohrman email@example.com -1-269-591-2223 -Please dress professionally for your interview (id:4389512) SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST - CONSULTANT WANTED SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST PLEASE NOTE: We are looking for someone to do the work, NOT tell us how to do it. Leading auto aftermarket supplier of consumer and industrial chemical products seeks an industry expert to work with our team on an ongoing basis (annual retainer). Areas of expertise we are seeking include: Sourcing (packaging components, chemicals, display, promotion) Manufacturing / Operations National manufacturing & distribution. Fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. We have # 1 brands and sell to most major chains. Some travel may be required. Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with your credentials. (id:4389177) CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961)
- POWER UNIT BUILDER - Hydraulic lift manufacturer in St. Charles, Illinois has an immediate full time opening for a panel-power unit builder. Candidate must have extensive electrical, electronic and hydraulic experience to layout and build control panels and power units from Cad drawings, electrical schematics and hydraulic drawings. Candidate must be well versed in the use of hand and power tools as well as various multimeters and hydraulic valve test equipment. Send resume to fax# (630) 584-9895 Email:email@example.com (id:4389188) AUTO SALES - Auto Auto Dealership Management Team The Bob Rohrman Auto Group continues to grow. How do we continue to do this? By finding the best people available to join our organization. Are you one of these people? We are currently looking for experienced Managers at our Kia store in Schaumburg. GENERAL MANAGER -We're looking for a "take charge" leader with proven past success to hit the ground running. In this key role you will oversee activities of all dealership departments NEW CAR SALES MANAGER -Responsible for all activities in the New Car Sales division including assisting Sales Consultants in closing sales as needed. USED CAR MANAGER -Manager inventory of 150+ vehicles. Ensure individual and department sales goals and quotas are met. You must be a good closer in this role. This is an outstanding opportunity at a store with great location, a strong product line, and solid sales growth in 2014. We offer one of the industry's best pay plans plus all the BENEFITS including Health, Dental, 401(k), Etc. To set up a confidential interview please e-mail resume to: John Barrett Director of Operations -Chicago Bob Rohrman Auto Group firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389812) SALES - Silverleaf Resorts, Inc. is now hiring for the The Lombard Silverleaf Vacation Store! Silverleaf Sales Representatives are responsible for leading tours of the resort sales gallery, giving presentations of the Silverleaf Vacation Ownership Program to guests, as well as explaining and selling program benefits. This position requires NO cold-calling! Customers come to you EVERYDAY! The ideal Sales Representative is an excellent communicator with a positive, outgoing personality. You must be self-motivated, confident & results-oriented to boost the performance of our sales team. The ideal Sales Representative will also have: Competitive Pay Structure! -Previous sales or customer service experience -Confidence in giving presentations -Outgoing and approachable personality -Professional demeanor and image -Ability to work Wednesday through Sunday Sales Representatives receive: -Draw vs. commission (paid weekly)40k-60k Avg. First Year Earnings! -Monthly bonus potential -Energetic, fun work environment -Paid training ($15/hr) -Growth opportunities -Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance and 401K Apply online: www.silverleafresorts.com/careers or contact Sales Recruiter: John Pogorzelski email@example.com Direct 224-240-5578 Silverleaf Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4388985)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.