Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Hockey
Spellman’s Scorecard: Maddon hiring will be a real treat Oct 30, 2014 9:28 PM
The main reason I’m excited about the anticipated arrival of Joe Maddon is that he’s universally respected. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a guy like that on the North Side. A real long time.
Hossa reaches scoring milestone in Hawks victory Oct 30, 2014 10:31 PM
OTTAWA, Ontario — Marian Hossa had a goal and an assist in the Blackhawks’ 5-4 shootout win over the Ottawa Senators, reaching two milestones in the city in which he started his NHL career back in 1997. Patrick Sharp scored the only goal of the shootout. Jonathan Toews scored twice for Chicago (6-3-1), and Kris Versteeg added a goal. Scott Darling turned aside 28 shots for the win. Mark Stone, Clarke MacArthur, Bobby Ryan and Mika Zibanejad had goals for Ottawa (5-2-2). Craig Anderson made 35 saves. Hossa’s goal at 13:50 of the third period was his second of the season and his 1,000th career point. It came in his 1,100th NHL game. The goal was one of four in a third-period outburst between the teams that entered the frame tied 2-2. Ryan gave the Senators a 3-2 lead 30 seconds into the third when he grabbed a loose puck in front of the Blackhawks net and surprised Darling with a quick shot. Toews scored his second of the game at 7:31, and Hossa gave Chicago the lead six minutes later. The Senators pressured Chicago until Zibanejad scored his first goal and recorded his first point of the season when he beat Darling through the legs from the slot at 17:52. MacArthur scored the only goal of the second period, making it 2-2 at 2:51. The Senators took a 1-0 lead just 2:48 into the game. After taking a pass from second-year defenseman Cody Ceci, Mark Stone passed off to rookie Curtis Lazar and headed to the front of the net where he was able to tip Lazar’s shot through Darling’s legs. The Senators held that lead until the Blackhawks scored twice in a span of just over four minutes in the second half of the period. Toews tied it when his wrist shot barely crossed the goal line behind Anderson with several bodies in front. The Blackhawks took their first lead at 15:36 when Versteeg slipped around defenseman Erik Karlsson in the circle and went around a sprawling Anderson before tucking the puck inside the far post.
Scouting report Oct 29, 2014 10:39 PM
Blackhawks stories, graphics and photos
Darling’s play means Hawks have tough decision to make Oct 29, 2014 10:42 PM
With coach Joel Quenneville deeming it “doubtful” that the Hawks would carry three goalies on the roster, the battle between Antti Raanta and Scott Darling looks like it’s officially on, with the loser most likely headed down to Rockford.
Hossa on cusp of impressive milestone Oct 29, 2014 10:39 PM
The one player who everyone will be watching closely when he hits the ice Thursday night at the Canadian Tire Centre will be Marian Hossa as he tries to reach the vaunted 1,000-point mark — he’s just 2 points away — in the same city where he began his remarkable NHL career.
Hockey great Gordie Howe resting after stroke Oct 28, 2014 9:13 PM
Hockey great Gordie Howe has lost some function on the right side of his body after having a stroke Sunday in Texas. Howe’s daughter Cathy said Tuesday night the 86-year-old Detroit Red Wings legend had lost much use of his right arm and right leg. Howe suffered the stroke in Lubbock, where his daughter lives.
Hawks' Crawford returns to ice; hopes to play Thursday Oct 28, 2014 2:22 PM
Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford, who missed the last five games with an upper-body injury, was on the ice with his teammates during Tuesday's morning skate. Crawford said he hopes to make the trip to Ottawa and play in Thursday's game against the Senators.
Hawks can’t Duck scoring drought Oct 29, 2014 12:06 PM
Blackhawks fans must be wondering when this team will find its scoring touch. Coach Joel Quenneville’s squad has scored only scored a minimum of two goals in three of the first nine games this season. Tuesday night was another offensive struggle as the Hawks fell 1-0 to Anaheim at the United Center.
Rozner: Playoff preview? Ducks steal one from Hawks Oct 28, 2014 11:10 PM
Two teams favored to meet in the final four next May faced off at the UC Tuesday night, when the Ducks stole a game from the Blackhawks.
Crawford trying to play it smart Oct 29, 2014 12:13 AM
Corey Crawford is itching to get back into the net and hopes it's as soon as Thursday when the Hawks travel to Ottawa.
Hawks to assess Crawford’s status Tuesday Oct 27, 2014 8:23 PM
Corey Crawford was scheduled to skate on his own Monday, and remains day-to-day as he rehabs his upper body injury according to Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville, So, where does that leave Scott Darling, who had a stellar NHL debut Sunday night agaisnt Ottawa?
Blackhawks chat: van Riemsdyk impresses Oct 27, 2014 9:13 PM
Blackhawks writers Mike Spellman and John Dietz talk a little hockey — a little Blackhawks hockey that is — in the first of what will be a semi-regular fixture. Let’s dive in.
Blackhawks goalie earns win in first NHL start Oct 26, 2014 10:14 PM
Jonathan Toews and Brent Seabrook scored, Scott Darling made 32 saves in his NHL debut, and the Blackhawks snapped a two-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory over the Ottawa Senators on Sunday night at United Center.
Darling makes NHL debut a winner for Blackhawks Oct 26, 2014 10:34 PM
Scott Darling, making his NHL debut, stopped 32 of the 33 shots he faced to help the Hawks snap a two-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory over Ottawa in a game that had a little bit of everything.
Blackhawks disagree with ‘interpretation’ of loss Oct 25, 2014 11:46 PM
The Saturday Showdown in St. Louis will most likely be remembered for the Slo-Mo goal ... that finally was.
Wolves drop a close one 4-3 Oct 25, 2014 10:53 PM
Not much ‘zazz’ at Wrigley since McDonough left Oct 24, 2014 8:17 AM
Doesn’t it seem like there’s been something missing around Wrigley Field for quite a while? And I’m not talking wins. Or even the bleachers.
Could be a feisty night in St. Louis for Hawks Oct 24, 2014 7:58 PM
OK then, this has the makings of some kind of Saturday night showdown when the Blackhawks, fresh off a tough 3-2 loss to Nashville, head into a hornets nest at Scottrade Center to take on the agitated Blues.
Admirals edge Wolves in overtime Oct 24, 2014 10:58 PM
Hawks can’t climb out of 2-goal hole Oct 23, 2014 11:19 PM
Even though the season is younger than young, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville knew Thursday night’s game in Nashville, featuring the last two teams in the league without a loss in regulation, could mean quite a bit. “It’s a big game for us,” Quenneville said following morning skate. “It’s a chance to get into first place."
- Oak Brook woman still learning and teaching at 83
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Drawing on friends to bury happy, outgoing 30-year-old
- Bomb threat cancels activities at Neuqua Valley, school open Friday
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- Sheriff's office denies politics in indictment of former jail guards
- Pro athletes are way overpaid
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Sleepy Hollow voters asked to double their taxes
- Sun-Times reporter quits over paper's handling of story
- $1.9 million spent, but Cook court parking fees ditched
- Gene & Georgetti to replace Rosewood in Rosemont?
- Change-of-plea hearing set for Farnham
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- St. Charles North takes 2nd at own invite
- RETAIL - Retail -Carson's/Yorktown hiring seasonal associates. Flex hrs, immediate 20% discount. Apply online careers.bonton.com (id:4389245) EDUCATION - Summit School needs 2 paraprofessionals, part time receptionist; fulltime counselor/social worker call 847-468-0490 (id:4387981) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
- MAINTENANCE MECHANIC - Mechanic -Simpson Strong-Tie is looking for a Building Maintenance Mechanic Repair all facility equipment and ground maintenance. Experience in electrical, HVAC, and plumbing repairs a plus. Landscape maintenance, snow removal, factory housekeeping. Forklift exp. desired. Great benefits. Fax to 630-596-1458 or email email@example.com (id:4389553) CLEANING - CLEANING HOMES must have DL & speak Eng. $9-14 + bnfts. Call McMaid Rolling Mdws: 847-991-2383 Dwnrs Grv: 630-515-8800 Wauconda: 847-526-4447 (id:4389575) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254)
- NURSING INSTRUCTORS - Education MORTON COLLEGE, seeks ADJUNCT NURSING ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS, for Spring 2015. For more info., see our ad under "Nursing" EOE (id:4389469) PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Fremont Public Libary, Mundelein. 16 hrs-wk, evenings and weekends. Cleaning, snow removal, meeting room set-ups. Knowledge of automated building controls a plus. Lift at least 70 lbs, read-write English. 1170 N. Midlothian Rd, Mundelein www.fremontlibrary.org-about-us-jobs (id:4389826) POWER UNIT BUILDER - Hydraulic lift manufacturer in St. Charles, Illinois has an immediate full time opening for a panel-power unit builder. Candidate must have extensive electrical, electronic and hydraulic experience to layout and build control panels and power units from Cad drawings, electrical schematics and hydraulic drawings. Candidate must be well versed in the use of hand and power tools as well as various multimeters and hydraulic valve test equipment. Send resume to fax# (630) 584-9895 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389188)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.