Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Wrestling
Conant’s Alexander excels but misses title shotFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
For a brief moment Friday night, Bobby Alexander sent shock waves through the State Farm Center, the kind the usual big wrestling state semifinals crowd hopes for each year. The Conant junior, who fought and defended with all his might during the opening moments against No. 1 Jared Cortez turned the tables on the nationally ranked Glenbard North star by putting him on his back. Much to the surprise and delight of many fans, who thought they might be seeing the end of a fourth straight state title pursuit for the Illinois-bound Cortez. But after that first-period jolt, Cortez got his footing back and eventually defeated Alexander (37-4), sending sent the Cougars’ standout into the consolation bracket. He still has a chance for a top-three medal, which would be his second in three seasons.
Down to a final day at stateFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
They have been the mainstays for Glenbard North the last three years. But Jered Cortez is returning to a familiar perch for the final day of the individual wrestling season; Jon Marmolejo, on the other hand, is in uncharted territory to conclude his extraordinary time with the Panthers. Marmion is the common theme for the two seniors.
Marmion’s Jimenez one match from historyFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Jon Marmolejo has the ultimate chance at redemption on Saturday in the Class 3A 126-pound wrestling state-championship match. The Glenbard North senior has a chance to reverse his only defeat of the season, but Johnny Jimenez has his own agenda. The Marmion senior dispatched two DuPage Valley Conference members, Dayton Olson of Glenbard East and Dylan Thomas of Wheaton North, to advance to his fourth consecutive state finals appearance.
Dundee-Crown’s Brunner taking Champaign by stormFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Dundee-Crown assistant Matt Wahl said Christian Brunner he was a year away from greatness. Chargers’ head coach Robert Skillman added his super sophomore was on a the cusp of something special. The Chargers’ duo probably won’t mind being a little off with their predictions now that their top man became the man the stars at 182 pounds should fear. Brunner (43-4), the only unseeded player in the quarterfinals, would first stun No. 6 Jimmy Mickens (Mt. Carmel, 36-9) Friday afternoon, then shock No. 1 Alex Benoit (38-3) of Marist in an OT tiebreaker in the semifinals to advance into tonight’s state final against No. 2 Colton Emmerich (46-1) of Deerfield in a rematch of the sectional final last weekend in Barrington.
Images: State Wrestling, Friday, Feb. 21Feb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Images from state Boys Wrestling Individual quarterfinals and semifinals at State Farm Center in Champaign on Friday, Feb. 21.
Libertyville’s Polakowski, Warren’s Parker make title boutsFeb 21, 2014 12:00 AM
Last year, Steve Polakowski and Emery Parker last year could not have been further from competing for a state title. But Saturday night, the dynamic duo from the North Suburban Conference will be chasing Class 3A championships in Champaign. Wauconda senior Nate Magiera will do likewise at 220 pounds as he pursues the top honor in Class 2A.
Wrestling scoreboard: Thursday’s resultsFeb 20, 2014 12:00 AM
Five MSL wrestlers stake their claim in quarterfinalsFeb 20, 2014 12:00 AM
As the final whistles were blown across the big floor of State Farm Arena to signal the end of the first day of competition at the wrestling state tournament Thursday, the state of play follows: Five Mid-Suburban League competitors have a foothold in the championship bracket after advancing into Friday’s quarterfinals. Barrington’s Mitch Stathakis (106 pounds, 33-3) and Matt Conrad (132, 32-11) advanced with first-round victories, as did Wheeling’s Tulga Zuunbayan (40-8), after a stunning OT win. Champaign veteran Matt Stopka (Schaumburg) and three-time qualifier, Bobby Alexander (Conant), whose travel plans here were almost cancelled, join their teammates from the MSL for Friday’s 1:30 p.m. quarterfinals and a chance at the 7 p.m. semifinals, which would guarantee a state medal later.
FVC wrestlers have stellar day at stateFeb 20, 2014 12:00 AM
The Fox Valley Conference championship machine was at it again Thursday night. The magnificent six — Michael Cullen, Logan Hanselman, Nick Gil, Eric Barone, Christian Brunner, and Jeremy Marshall — who just three weeks ago reigned supreme at the conference tourney, all were purring during the first day of the Class 3A state tournament on the big floor of State Farm Arena ion Champaign. This group is still all alive in the championship bracket when today’s late morning quarterfinals take place, with an eye on tonight’s semifinals.
Lake County’s best meet first-round tests downstateFeb 20, 2014 12:00 AM
Lake County’s elite competitors outclassed their foes competition Thursday night as the state wrestling tournament got started at State Farm Arena on the University of Illinois campus. Jordan Reich (Vernon Hills, 120, 39-4), Nate Magiera (Wauconda, 220, 45-1) and Libertyville’s Steve Polakowski (120, 40-1) and Kayne MacCullum (170, 40-1) each trumped their opponents, sending all four into Friday’s quarterfinals. The road will only get tougher for this quartet and the others competing in the championship bracket.
Wheaton Academy bringing football back to campusFeb 20, 2014 12:00 AM
With apologies to the Dos Equis guy, Batavia's Connor McKeehan may be the most interesting man in the world.
Scouting state wrestling / Fox ValleyFeb 19, 2014 12:00 AM
Here's a look at the wrestling state tourament from the perspective of nothern Fox Valley schools.
Scouting state wrestling / NorthwestFeb 19, 2014 12:00 AM
Here's a look at the wrestling state tournament, from the perspective of teams in the Mid-Suburban League plus St. Viator and Maine West.
Scouting state wrestling / Lake CountyFeb 19, 2014 12:00 AM
Here's a look at the wrestling state meet from the perspective of Lake County's participants.
Wrestling scoreboard: Saturday’s resultsFeb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
Barrington’s Stathakis wins at 106Feb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
Mitch Stathakis maintained his perfect postseason record following yet another sparkling weekend performance on the wrestling mats. The Barrington sophomore was virtually flawless on Saturday at the Broncos’ home, using a lethal attack to defeat two challengers, the last coming in the 106-pound final against Ulises Jacobo of DeKalb. Stathakis pinned the sophomore at 1:47 to capture the only championship crown for the Mid-Suburban League at the Barrington sectional.
Crystal Lake South duo impressiveFeb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
In what may be his most important victory thus far at Crystal Lake South, Eric Barone showed remarkable staying power as he pulled a cunning move in OT to defeat No. 3 Fernie Silva of Hononegah to capture a sectional championship at 145 pounds Saturday afternoon at Barrington.
Marmion has a big dayFeb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
The Marmion wrestling team has an entirely different look from this time in January. The Cadets, the reigning state runners-up in Class 3A, were forfeiting as many as five weight classes due to injuries last month. But one week after dominating the Waubonsie Valley regional, Marmion had another stellar team performance at the Hinsdale Central individual sectional on Saturday afternoon.
Glenbard North sends 7 to stateFeb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
With 12 out of 14 wrestlers qualifying for the state tournament, and 10 of them winning the sectional, Oak Park-River Forest continued it run of dominance Saturday at the Leyden sectional in Franklin Park. But that did not deter wrestlers from other schools from flexing muscles of their own. Glenbard North was able to qualify seven of the 11 athletes it sent to Leyden, with Jared Cortez (132 pounds) and Jon Marmolejo (126) winning their weight class. Kirk Johansen (106), Austin Gomez (113), Patrick Augustyn (120) Colton Wegner (170) all finished third with Luke Greenberg (195) qualifying and finishing fourth in his weight class for the Panthers.
Libertyville, Grant lead march downstateFeb 15, 2014 12:00 AM
Libertyville collectively flexed its muscle Saturday in Barrington, and Warren’s Emery Parker validated his chances as a trophy chaser in the upcoming week as the Class 3A state tournament begins. The Wildcats, who are on their way to the dual-team sectionals later this month, won four individual titles and will send six downstate after a successful second day of sectional wrestling Saturday at Barrington. North Suburban Conference champion Grant will have five in action Thursday in Champaign, including 132-pound champion Troy Parent (30-9). Lake Zurich will send three into action later in the week.
- Mom upset over candy, movies at daughter's school
- Coldwater Creek stores to close
- Arlington Heights man sentenced for 6th DUI
- Huntley could become distribution hub for Weber grills
- Rentals, mixed-use projects revive suburban sites
- Chapa LaVia apologizes over racial comments
- Classmate of murder suspect wants to end confusion about names
- Dawn Patrol: 6 years for 6th DUI; good, bad news for Schaumburg dogs
- Help and tears follow story on veterinarian
- No Wing pool, new farm animals in Elgin this summer
- LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE - Moore Landscapes, Inc La compania de Moore Landscapes localisada en Northbrook il esta solicitando trabajadores para los suburbios de Chicago. De preferencia que tengan experiencia. Por fabor llamar a Simon Garcia al (847)774-0753. (id:4368882) BOOKKEEPER WANTED - Bookkeeper Wanted!! Position within insurance related business. Must be proficient with Quickbooks. email: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4369428) CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES - FMS INVESTMENT CORPORTION Mark your calendars! FMS Investment Corporation (FMS), a subsidiary of CEANNATE Corp. is expanding its operations to 1100 West Lake Cook Rd, Buffalo Grove, IL 60089. With over 31,000 square feet, our Private Services Division is growing and looking to fill 250+ full time positions (entry level and management) in our new state of the art contact center. This is an opportunity to service the leading clients in the Student Loan Receivables industry. If you are looking for a exciting career opportunity and the potential to earn an unlimited income, APPLY NOW and come with your updated resume to our open house from Tuesday, April 8th through Thursday, April 10th between 8am-5pm. Applicants must have at least 2 years of customer service, collections, sales & marketing, or financial services experience and an Associate's Degree or higher. Applicants without an Associate's Degree may substitute relevant work experience. FMS offers competitive starting wages, benefits and an uncapped monthly incentive plan. Training classes are now beginning to form for April and May. For any questions contact us at 888-853-8148 OR apply online at www.ceannate.com/careers CEANNATE Corp. and its subsidiaries are an EOE (id:4370034)
- MACHINE OPERATOR - MACHINE OPERATOR Steel Co in Addison has immed opening for exp CNC/Plasma Burning Machine & Waterjet Ops. or CNC exp. Use of measuring devices needed. Hiring day and night shifts, good pay & benefits. Call #630-627-2900, email: email@example.com or apply at 145 N. Swift Rd. Addison (id:4370645) LIFEGUARD - LIFEGUARDS For condo pools in all sub- urbs. 5/24-9/02. Top pay, Flex Hrs. We train and cert- ify. Apply at 630-529-1117 www.poolwatch.net (id:4370557) DRIVERS - DRIVERS-HOME WEEKLY! Ashley Distribution Services seeks TRUCKLOAD DRIVERS UP to $58-$62K/1st YEAR NO TOUCH DELIVERIESPaid VACA,401k,Med/Life/Drug/Dental!Class A CDL & at least 1 year current OTR exp. Clean MVR/PSP Reports. Call 1-800-837-2241 8AM to 4PM CST for info & app or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.ashleydistributionservices.com to apply under jobs. (id:4369019)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.