Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Westmont
State Rep. Flowers visits Northwestern College in Bridgeview Mar 27, 2015 8:09 PM
This week, Northwestern College was pleased to welcome Illinois State Rep. Mary Flowers of the 30th District to its Bridgeview Campus for a tour and to meet some of its faculty and administrators. It was Rep. Flowers’ first visit to the college, which provided an opportunity for her to meet numerous instructors and to view the various student labs, many of which featured health care technology.
Son gets 35 years for killing father after fight about living arrangements Mar 24, 2015 5:55 AM
A Westmont man convicted of fatally stabbing his father in May 2011 was sentenced Monday to 35 years in prison. A DuPage County jury deliberated for less than two hours in January before convicting William Clifford III, 36, of first-degree murder.
College of DuPage Welcomes Community to Renovated Naperville Regional Center Mar 23, 2015 5:41 PM
Judy Thommes (far right), lead instructional assistant at the Naperville Learning Commons, speaks with visitors to the Naperville Regional Center Grand Re-Opening Open House. The recent event attracted more than 100 community members, students and prospective students to tour the 20,460 square-foot facility, where recent renovations included a new science lab, new student lounge areas, a multi-purpose conference room and a faculty workroom. In addition, all classrooms have been updated to reflect a state-of-the-art learning environment. Click here for more photos from the event. (Photos by Press Photography Network/Special to College of DuPage)
Author Sam Weller Shares Work at College of DuPage Writers Read Series Mar 23, 2015 5:43 PM
Acclaimed author and authorized Ray Bradbury biographer Sam Weller recently read and discussed his work as part of the “Writers Read” series sponsored by the Creative Writing Committee, Sci-Fi/Fantasy Club and the Liberal Arts division at College of DuPage. Click to view more images or a video from the event. Weller is the authorized biographer of Ray Bradbury. His book “The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury” was a Los Angeles Times bestseller and winner of the 2005 Society of Midland Authors Award for Best Biography and a Bram stoker award finalist. (Press Photography Network/ Special to College of DuPage)
College of DuPage Offers New Game Animation and Design Degree Mar 23, 2015 5:36 PM
College of DuPage is offering a new Game Animation and Design degree that will give students the skills to design video and computer games across multiple platforms. Recently approved by the Illinois Community College Board, the associate in applied science degree will provide the knowledge for students to gain entry-level positions as a designer and animator in such fields as game development and design, broadcast design, and television effects. “The digital revolution has created jobs that never existed before, while other jobs continue to evolve because of the rapid advancement of technology,” said Erin Birt, Chair of the College of DuPage Board of Trustees. “Students earning this degree will find work creating everything from mobile applications to corporate videos.” John Kronenburger, Associate Dean of Technology, said the degree is a collaborative effort between the Computer Information System and Animation programs at COD. The new degree consists of 68 credit hours and combines existing courses from both programs in a new way. “We are taking both design and development skills that have been taught separately and integrating them together for the first time,” he said. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for software publishers, including game development, is expected to increase 30 percent through 2018. Tony Venezia, Professor of Motion Picture/Television and Animation, said Illinois is the sixth highest state in the nation for game development. More than 49 game development companies and 48 animation companies are located in the Chicago region, as well as one of the fastest-growing independent game development markets in the country. “This is a unique degree because we are combining classic animation techniques with video game skills and integrating animation into two- and three-dimensional programming,” he said. “It’s exciting to bring these areas together because of the tremendous potential for student success in the workplace.” For more information, call (630) 942-2020, (630) 942-2599 or email email@example.com.
COD physics professor gets nailed in class Mar 23, 2015 6:35 PM
College of DuPage physics professor David Fazzini lies on a bed of nails as physics professor Tom Carter smashes a cinder block on top of him. The demonstration in Fazzini’s Physics 1100 class was part of a lecture on the principles of energy.
Westmont woman pleads guilty to fatally stabbing husband Mar 19, 2015 6:05 AM
A Westmont woman accused of fatally stabbing her husband during a 2013 argument pleaded guilty Wednesday to second-degree murder. Lisa Davis, 44, was immediately sentenced to 14 years in prison for the Feb. 15, 2013, slaying of 49-year-old David Davis.
Local educators named Golden Apple finalists Mar 16, 2015 1:07 PM
Suburban teachers and administrators were among those named finalists on Monday for the 2015 Golden Apple Awards for Excellence in Teaching and Leadership. Thirty teachers were announced as finalists on Monday from more than 600 nominations, according to a news release. The final 10 winners will be announced later this spring after another round of reviews and classroom observations.
Health Insurance for People 65 + Years Mar 17, 2015 3:12 PM
This lesson will explore the options and tools necessary for health insurance decisions by people approaching or whom are already on Medicare.
Naperville Teen Wins Soroptimist Award Mar 16, 2015 5:44 PM
Trisha Prabhu of Naperville is the winner of this year’s Violet Richardson Award. Soroptimist International of Suburban Chicago honors Trisha for her project, Rethink, which is an anti- cyberbullying app that will benefit others globally. Trisha is a student at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville. In the fall of 2013, after learning about an 11 year old girl’s suicide because of cyberbullying, she set out to find a way to stop this from ever happening again. She wanted to define and design a long-term solution to stop cyberbullying. Her research and hard work led her to the product Rethink, which won a spot as a Google Science Fair 2014 Global Finalist. Rethink gives someone trying to post an offensive message on social media a second chance to reconsider their decision. Her “Rethink” has had a lot of media coverage both locally and globally. She spoke about “Rethink” at TEDxTeen in London (www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkzwHuf6C2U). She currently holds a Provisional Patent with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for her Rethink idea. She has always been interested in the inner workings of the brain. Prior to her Rethink project, Trisha won an award for her research on the cognitive distraction that causes distracted driving. As an advocate of STEM in education (importance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics for future United States global competitiveness and future economic prosperity), she believes that technology is the future. Aside from her love of science and technology, Trisha is a published author of four books. She was also named Chicago’s Financial Literacy Ambassador by the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Soroptimists strive to improve the lives of women and girls in the local area and globally through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. Soroptimist International of Suburban Chicago offers several Grants/Awards for women and girls. The award celebration for Trisha and other Suburban Chicago winners will be held in May. If you would like to learn more about us, please visit our web site, www.si-suburbanchicago.org , or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Display your skills for collegiate coaches at JUCO Spring Hoops Showcase Mar 13, 2015 11:49 PM
High school and junior college men’s and women’s basketball players with collegiate aspirations are invited to display their talents for coaches at the JUCO 2015 Spring Showcase. The event takes place on Saturday, April 25, at Judson University in Elgin.
Express Employment Professionals Hosts National Leadership Event Featuring Daymond John, Dan Aykroyd and Liz Murray Mar 13, 2015 4:02 PM
Back for its sixth year and sponsored by the Chicagoland Express Employment Professionals offices, the FREE event will be held Wednesday, April 8 at the Rosemont Theatre, 5400 N. River Road in Rosemont, Ill. Doors open at 7 a.m. and the program begins at 7:50 a.m.
GLMV Chamber of Commerce Presents Breakfast For Growth Seminar: ‘March Into Marketing You Biz’ - 3/18 Mar 12, 2015 10:13 AM
Get pro tips and discover how to use the power of marketing to increase exposure and visibility of your business, at the upcoming GLMV Chamber of Commerce Breakfast For Growth Seminar "March Into Marketing Your Biz" to be held Wednesday, March 18, 7:30 - 9 am at the GLMV Chamber Office, 1123 S. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville.
Join GLMV Chamber of Commerce at economic luncheon Mar 13, 2015 12:57 PM
Business leaders, managers and executives can prepare for the future at the GLMV Chamber of Commerce 2015 Economic Outlook Luncheon to be held Tuesday, March 17, at Dave & Busters, Westfield Mall, Vernon Hills.
Images: The Week in Pictures Mar 9, 2015 1:00 AM
This edition of The Week in Pictures features Daily Herald staff photos, representing two dozen communities, of young musicians performing, young chefs competing, young people playing and more ice and snow.
New charitable service organization formed at St. Mary of Gostyn Parish Mar 10, 2015 5:46 PM
Parishioners from St. Mary of Gostyn (SMG) in Downers Grove recently established a new council of the Knights of Columbus. This is the first time that SMG has had its own council; in the past men from the parish participated in Knights of Columbus councils sponsored by other Catholic churches. “We decided to form our own council because we wanted to develop programs and events that will respond specifically to some of the needs of our parish, in addition to doing charitable works for the community at large,” said Art Kraft, KoC Grand Knight and one of the founders of the new council. SMG Council 16062 installed its inaugural group of officers on March 1 with a Mass and induction ceremony presided by Joliet Diocese’s Auxiliary Bishop Joseph M. Siegel. Some of the Council’s upcoming activities include a food and clothing drive from March 7-22 for the Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans in Wheaton, a St. Joseph’s Table (dinner) event on March 19 at the parish, and assisting in the organization of the parish picnic in the fall. They also sponsor St. Mary of Gostyn’s annual breakfast with St. Nicholas held every December. With more than 16,000 councils and 1.8 million members from around the world, the Knights of Columbus is the world’s largest Catholic fraternal service organization. The first council was established in 1882 by the Venerable Father Michael J. McGivney at St. Mary’s Catholic parish in New Haven, Connecticut. John F. Kennedy, Mike Ditka, Vince Lombardi, Babe Ruth, Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, Speaker of the House John Boehner and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush are just a few of the famous past and present members of the Knights of Columbus. In 2013, the worldwide organization donated more than $170 million along with more than 70 million hours of charitable service to a variety of causes. For more information about Knights of Columbus Council 16062 visit their website at http://www.stmarygostyn.org/?page=MinistriesKoC St. Mary of Gostyn is the oldest Catholic parish in Downers Grove, serving the area since 1891. Located in eastern Downers Grove at 445 Prairie Avenue, the parish was established by a small group of immigrants from Gostyn, Poland. Today the parish has more than 2,800 families for a total of 10,000 parishioners. More than 600 children attend its religious education classes and more than 500 students are enrolled in its grade school, which serves students from preschool to eighth grade. In addition, more than 100 ministries provide services to parishioners, the Downers Grove community and neighboring towns, states and countries. For more information about the parish and school, visit their website at http://www.stmarygostyn.org
The Birches sponsors Alzheimer’s research education event Mar 10, 2015 5:44 PM
On March 19, The Birches Assisted Living in Clarendon Hills is partnering with the Alzheimer’s Association and The Community House to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s research. As part of a series of Alzheimer’s Association education events titled “Alzheimer’s Research: Get Informed, Get Involved,” The Birches and The Community House will host a presentation by keynote speaker Kumar Bharat Rajan, Ph.D. from Rush University Medical Center. The presentation will take place from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Community House, 415 W. Eighth Street, Hinsdale. Dr. Kumar Bharat Rajan will discuss current trends, efforts and directions in dementia research and will provide information about the benefits of participation in research and local studies. He will also be awarded a check for $49,957.00 through the New Investigator Research Grant program to fund the first year of his research titled “Role of Activities on Genetic Risk of Neurodegeneration by Race/Ethnicity.” At the end of the presentation, participants will have the opportunity to enroll in the Alzheimer’s Association’s TrialMatch program. The TrialMatch program is a free service provided by the Alzheimer’s Association that matches individuals with Alzheimer’s, caregivers, healthy volunteers and physicians with current Alzheimer’s studies. The Alzheimer’s Association’s TrialMatch database contains more than 225 clinical studies that are being performed at 700 trial sites throughout the country. Clinical trials play an important role in finding new treatments and, ultimately, a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. Scientists have already made great strides in developing treatments for Alzheimer’s. Drugs have been developed that can temporarily improve the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, but more research is necessary to develop treatments that slow or stop the progression of the disease. For clinical trials to be productive, volunteers are needed from a variety of backgrounds. Those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s play an important role in research, but researchers also need volunteers without Alzheimer’s. According to the Alzheimer’s Association, recruiting and retaining trial participants is the greatest barrier to finding new Alzheimer’s treatments besides funding. “I think raising awareness about the need for volunteers in clinical trials is important,” said Birches’ Director of Encore and Memory Care Services Jackie Raschke. “A lot of people would love to help find a cure for Alzheimer’s but don’t know what they can do. TrialMatch gives people a concrete way to contribute.” This event is free and open to the public. To register, call 847-933-2413 or register online at www.alz.org/illinois. The Birches Assisted Living in Clarendon Hills is a premier retirement community dedicated to providing professional services that support its residents’ physical, social, intellectual and spiritual growth. The Birches offers a full calendar of purposeful programs and activities designed to promote a healthy aging lifestyle and a strong sense of community. For more information about The Birches, call 630-789-1135 or visit: birches.net.
Westmont man facing child pornography charges Mar 6, 2015 8:29 PM
A Westmont man faces four felony counts stemming from possession of child pornography following a joint investigation by the DuPage County Sheriff and Wheaton police.
Mindfulness and Soul Care Mar 10, 2015 3:00 PM
Mindfulness is the act of paying purposeful attention to the present moment. It offers us a way to enjoy our lives more and reduce stress through a few simple practices.
2015 Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference Mar 10, 2015 3:00 PM
More than 100 seventh and eighth grade youth learned ways to improve their leadership skills at the 2015 Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference held Feb. 28 and March 1 at the Decatur Conference Center and Hotel in Decatur.
- Getty oil heir found dead wrote of serious health problem
- Authorities: Revenge for being called ugly spurs Naperville man to stab two
- Homeowner who saw car crash through walls: 'It was a super big boom'
- Woodland Elementary Dist. 50: We're not against charter schools
- COD board's $66.52-a-person meal cost dwarfs other colleges'
- K9 bulldog in Elgin? Police chief joins April Fools' fun
- Subpoenas seek years of COD records on Breuder, foundation board member
- Will Bryant and Soler battle for top rookie honors?
- Streamwood, Aurora girls top sellers of Girl Scout cookies
- No charges in fatal Rosemont cop shooting of brother-in-law
- Rozner: Bryant decision easy to understand
- One person found shot at Lake Villa area bar
- Lukemeyer steps down at Grant
- Jogger uses pepper spray to fight off Busse Woods assailant
- Final Four all about the head coaches
- Another delay in sex abuse trial of former Chicago Bulls player
- Three groups merge to create mega local hospice organization
- Naperville teen's idea to end cyberbullying picks up steam
- DuPage County prosecutors probing College of DuPage, charges appear unlikely
- Dawn Patrol: Aurora mayor urges alderman to resign; Crystal Lake police hunt bank robber
- Mom asks Arlington Heights schools to ban peanuts
- Endorsement: Our choices for the College of DuPage board
- Special report: Doctors doubt Shaken Baby Syndrome science, fear bad convictions
- Judge: Grayslake charter school should not have been renewed
- Endorsements: Burke, Gerber, Recker, Yung for Dist. 211 school board
- COD board's $66.52-a-person meal cost dwarfs other colleges'
- Candidates pitch fix for division on Dist. 15 school board
- Kuma's Corner may come to Schaumburg this summer
- Homeowner who saw car crash through walls: 'It was a super big boom'
- Subpoenas seek years of COD records on Breuder, foundation board member
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - Customer Support We are an Independent Food Broker located in the Western Suburbs of Chicago in business for 15 years. Summary: Manage client accounts and support Account Managers to ensure client, customer and company expectation are adhered to. Support Sales Team with order entry and sales presentations Assist with daily account management for select client accounts Ensure order entry database is maintained with accurate client/customer information Resolves problems in an efficient and courteous manner Organizes and files client correspondence, contracts, bill backs and deductions Process client claims and deductions for repayment Issue client check drafts in a timely and accurate manner and maintain log accurately Process misc. sales and customer service correspondence as needed Perform month end reporting invoicing for various account Requirements: Excellent customer service skills Strong organization, problem solving analytical and time management skills Attention to detail Outstanding written and verbal communication skills Taking initiative; strong sense of task completion Trustworthy; ability to handle confidential and sensitive information Able to work in a fast paced environment, organized, able to multi task TEAM orientated and hard working Prompt attendance Must be efficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) 2+ Years Sales Support or Customer Service College degree preferred Please send resume to HR@ISIMIDWEST.COM (id:4400672) CUSTOMER SERVICE - RN'S-FREE UP YOUR WEEKENDS! HINES & ASSOCIATES, INC. Due to large growth, we are offering FT Case Mgmt & Utilization Review Positions In our Elgin & St. Charles locations NO NIGHTS, HOLIDAYS OR WEEKENDS! Must be an RN w/ Min. 3 yrs hospital exp or HHC exp Rehab exp a plus! Fax resume to: 847-741-1728 Or email to: email@example.com Or call 877-429-7345 X 3426 with questions (id:4402637) LEAD WEBMETHODS DEVELOPER - Lead Webmethods Developer eTek IT Services Inc has j/o's for Lead Webmethods Developer. Jobs loc in Schaumburg, IL & var unanticip locs t/o the US. Dsgn, build, or mntn web sites, usng authrng or scriptng lnguges, contnt creatn tools, mngmnt tools, & digital media. Cnfr w/ mngmnt or dvlpmnt teams to prioritize needs, reslve conflcts, dvlp contnt criteria, chooz solutns. Mxmz site up-time by mngng operatns; reslvng outages. Req exp w/ Webmethods, WebSphere, JMS, EnterpriseOne adapter, & Oracle. Trvl/reloc to var unanticip locs t/o the US for LT/ST asgnmnts at clt sites. Req: BS or frgn equiv in Comp Sci, Engg (any), or rel & 5 yrs of exp in the job/off or as a Comp S/W Profl. Also OK: MS or frgn equiv in Comp Sci, Engg (any), or rel & 3 yrs of exp in the job/off or as a Comp S/W Profl. Mail res w/cvr ltr: eTek IT Services Inc PO Box 59058 Schaumburg, IL 60159 Job 14ETI33; EOE (id:4401965)
- SOCIAL SERVICES - Social Services -Help at Home, Inc has immediate openings for the following positions in DeKalb, DuPage, Kane, and McHenry counties: Homemakers DCFS Case Aides Respite employees CNA's We are proud to offer Union Benefits and higher wages. We also offer paid Holidays, paid vacation, Travel Time, Mileage, and full Health and Dental Insurance. During this limited hiring time, we are offering free training and sign on bonuses. Contact Sam at (630) 443-1800. (id:4402161) LANDSCAPE - Landscape company seeks Sales and design person with exp. and 2 people exp. in brick paving. Call for job information. 630-973-8057 (id:4402395) PROGRAMMER ANALYST - Programmer Analyst eTek IT Services Inc has j/o's for Programmer Analyst. Jobs loc in Schaumburg, IL & var unanticip locs t/o the US. Cnvrt proj specs & statemnts of probs & procdrs to dtaild logcl flow charts for coding into comp lnguge. Dvlp & write comp progs to store, loc, & retrve spcfc docs, data, & info. Rsrch, anlyz & dtrmne info needs & dataflw reqmnts. Req exp w/ IBM Information Server, DataStage, & MS Visio. Trvl/reloc to var unanticip locs t/o the US for LT/ST asgnmnts at clt sites. Req: MS or frgn equiv in Comp Sci, Engg (any), or rel & 6 mos. of exp in the job/off or as a Comp S/W Profl. Mail res w/cvr ltr: eTek IT Services Inc PO Box 59058 Schaumburg, IL 60159 Job 14ETI02 EOE (id:4401964)
- AUTO SALES - Auto AUTO SALES -HIRING EVENT - The Bob Rohrman Auto Group is not only the MIDWEST"S #1 VOLUME family-owned auto group, we're also an industry leader in ethical sales. How do we do continue to do it? By always hiring THE BEST individuals to work at our stores. And once we hire the best individuals, we train them to be even better by providing them with all the necessary skills for success. We try to do things the RIGHT WAY! As a result of continued rapid growth, we are looking to hire 10 to 20 good men & women to join our staff of sales professionals...NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY...if you have the right attitude; we have a job for you! WE OFFER: FREE 3-day training class at Rohrman University & on-going training on-the-job An outstanding pay plan. Our top sales associates made over $100,000 last yr. Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Etc. Career advancement op- portunities to management Excellent floor traffic, in- ventory & a great reputation in the community! We require of our sale team: Professional appearance - Good communication skills. If you are bilingual that is a real advantage. Must have integrity, with a positive attitude & a strong work ethic Willing to learn & be recep- tive to new ideas You must be a team player We are a drug-free, equal opportunity employer Valid drivers license -INTERVIEWS: Monday, March 30, 2015 2pm to 6pm Interviews held at: -ROHRMAN UNIVERSITY 1225 N Plum Grove Rd -At the corner of Golf & Plum Grove Rd in Schaumburg -Across from Schaumburg Honda Automobiles No appointment necessary but if you need to schedule a specific time contact: JR Rohrman firstname.lastname@example.org -1-269-591-2223 -Please dress professionally for your interview (id:4402684) GRAPHIC DESIGNER - Arlington Heights, IL company is seeking to fill a pt-time-first shift Graphic Designers position. InDesign; Strong in Illustrator-Photoshop. This position MAC only.Accuracy and consistency are key. Send resume to email@example.com for consideration. (id:4402023) QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR - Quality Control Inspector 2nd Shift 2:00pm-11:00pm Aerospace Manufacturing Duties: CMM experience, ability to perform dimensional inspection of complex machined parts experience with setting up and using bore gages. Benefits: Shift Premium, 401K, Blue Cross Health Insurance Send Resume Fax: 847 439 0230 or email resume PamS@ajrindustries.com See web site for more information at www.ajrindustries.com (id:4400160)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.