Activate Your Free
Articles filed under U.S. Congress
Senate control could turn on 2 independents’ moves Oct 30, 2014 9:03 AM
After millions of Americans vote next week, it’s possible that one or two men will decide which party controls the Senate. One is Sen. Angus King, a Maine independent who generally “caucuses” — or cooperates — with Democrats but says he might switch to the Republicans. The other is Greg Orman of Kansas, an independent candidate trying to oust Republican Sen. Pat Roberts.
Endorsement: Quigley for Congress, Dist. 5 Oct 29, 2014 1:01 AM
The Daily Herald endorses Democrat Mike Quigley for Congress in District 5.
Durbin, Oberweis see red over environmental issues Oct 29, 2014 9:37 PM
In their last debate before the election, Sen. Dick Durbin and Republican state Sen. Jim Oberweis didn't pull any punches. Such as on the Keystone oil pipeline: “I generally believe in doing the right thing to bring down energy costs so we’re no longer dependent on Middle Eastern oil,” Oberweis said. “Is it appropriate to say, ‘Hell, no?” asked Durbin. “I’ll just say no.”
Foster, Senger debate political advertising Oct 29, 2014 5:56 PM
The 11th Congressional District race hasn’t been littered with attack ads, but both candidates have made it a point to raise questions about the political advertising put out by their opponent. Early in the campaign, Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Foster of Naperville sent out a mailer that said his top priority is “to support policies that strengthen the middle class and bring good jobs to our region.”
Lack of debate, money highlight 14th Congress race Oct 28, 2014 5:45 PM
Despite both 14th Congressional candidates saying they welcomed debate in the race, it never materialized. Democratic challenger Dennis Anderson and his supporters have called out GOP Randy Hultgren on the issue.
Viewers invited to tweet during live Senate debate on WTTW Oct 28, 2014 6:26 PM
The U.S. Senate candidates will debate live at 7 p.m. Wednesday on WTTW Channel 11’s “Chicago Tonight,” in a broadcast that will use Twitter to provide real-time viewer feedback. Democrat Sen. Richard Durbin and his challenger, Republican Jim Oberweis, will face off in their second debate, this one moderated by Phil Ponce before a live studio audience. The debate also will be streamed live at wttw.com.
Foster, Senger talk guns, national security Oct 28, 2014 1:39 PM
Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Foster and his Republican challenger, state Rep. Darlene Senger, go toe-to-toe on issues involving gun control and the war on terror in the 11th Congressional District race.
Schneider, Dold talk immigration and jobs at North Chicago forum Oct 27, 2014 5:30 AM
Immigration reform and jobs were front and center Sunday at a candidates forum featuring the two nominees in the hotly contested 10th Congressional District race, Republican challenger Bob Dold and Democrat incumbent U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider. Lake County sheriff's candidates also spoke at the forum in North Chicago.
Bidens rally for Illinois Democrats on Monday Oct 27, 2014 5:54 PM
Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, are in Illinois campaigning for Democrats ahead of the Nov. 4 election. U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider’s campaign says Jill Biden attended a morning coffee event with him and approximately 100 women at a Northbrook deli on Monday.
6th Congressional candidates clash on immigration Oct 27, 2014 12:09 PM
Republican U.S. Rep. Peter Roskam knows that immigration reform needs to occur, but he wants to see it occur in well-thought out steps. His challenger for the 6th Congressional District seat, however, Democrat Michael Mason, said if Congress continues to stall reform he believes President Barack Obama should utilize his executive powers to move it forward.
Duckworth has 10 times the money, but Kaifesh says he’s got the message Oct 26, 2014 8:00 AM
Congressional candidate Larry Kaifesh knew he was taking on an opponent with strong name recognition in Tammy Duckworth, and so remains undaunted by the fact her campaign funding is nearly 10 times the amount he’s been able to raise over the past year.
Dold blasts Schneider after accusation about Lake Michigan oil drilling vote Oct 26, 2014 1:07 AM
Time and again, U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider has accused Republican challenger Robert Dold of voting to allow oil drilling in Lake Michigan when Dold served in Congress. Dold has repeatedly called the allegation ludicrious, saying the vote in question isn't what Schneider claims it to be.
Sex slavery rampant in the suburbs, experts say Oct 24, 2014 1:35 PM
Sex slavery is rampant in the suburbs and Chicago, say FBI agents and victims advocates. About 25,000 women and underage girls are trafficked in, around and through local neighborhoods each year. "The people responsible for these crimes are the pimps and johns and those making money from the slaves,” said Congressman Randy Hultgren. "It's a local problem."
14th Congressional District candidates cite debt, dysfunction as top woes Oct 24, 2014 7:35 PM
Congressman Randy Hultgren says the biggest problem facing the nation is out-of-control debt, but he thinks it can be addressed with some long-term planning. His Democratic challenger, Dennis Anderson, said congressional dysfunction and gridlock is the biggest problem facing the nation. He's advocating compromise.
Women’s issues cause tension for Foster, Senger Oct 23, 2014 8:51 PM
Democratic incumbent Bill Foster and Republican challenger Darlene Senger trade jabs in Naperville over women's rights issues.
Durbin, Oberweis interested in finding O'Hare noise solutions Oct 22, 2014 5:34 AM
Can a U.S. senator give folks stressed by O'Hare jet noise relief? Candidates Dick Durbin and Jim Oberweis explain what they could do. And, with limited cash in his war chest, tonight's debate is a big chance for Oberweis to get his message out for free.
11th hopefuls discuss foreign policy, environment Oct 22, 2014 11:29 PM
With election season heating up, the two candidates for the U.S. 11th Congressional District seat have grown accustomed to debating popular topics such as immigration, healthcare and changes to the tax code.During a forum at Congregation Beth Shalom in Naperville Wednesday, however, Democratic U.S. Rep. Bill Foster and his challenger, Republican State Rep. Darlene Senger, had a chance to offer their viewpoints on some less discussed items, such as international relations and environmental issues.
Oberweis, Durbin go into — and leave — debate swinging Oct 22, 2014 9:29 PM
Who landed a body blow during a debate Wednesday between Jim Oberweis and Dick Durbin? It was a scrappy exchange between the Senate's No. 2, Durbin, and his Republican challenger Oberweis, a state senator.
Dold, Schneider sling mud during last TV debate Oct 22, 2014 9:16 PM
It didn’t take long for the second and final televised debate between Democratic U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider and Republican challenger Robert Dold to turn into a verbal brawl.
Hundreds fill Vernon Hills gym to see Vice President Joe Biden Oct 23, 2014 1:16 AM
An estimated 750 people packed the Sullivan Community Center’s gym Wednesday afternoon for Vice President Joe Biden’s appearance, part of a rally for three Democrats on the Nov. 4 ballot: U.S. Rep. Brad Schneider, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin and Paul Vallas, who’s running for lieutenant governor as Gov. Pat Quinn’s mate. “It’s not something that happens every day,” a resident said.
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Prisoner who helped free death row inmate is freed himself
- Rozner: Cubs' pursuit of Maddon strictly business
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Family and friends remember Elk Grove Village Marine
- Early voting, mail voting setting new Cook County records
- Party funding pours into 62nd District
- Lake Forest Hospital project gets boost from John Hughes' family
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Sun-Times reporter quits over paper's handling of story
- Gene & Georgetti to replace Rosewood in Rosemont?
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- St. Charles North takes 2nd at own invite
- Short & Sweet guest critic, Christine Murphy, reviews Broadway in Chicago's Amazing Grace with host, Diana Martinez
- How bad will our winter be? A caterpillar can tell you.
- MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) MANUFACTURING - Manufacturing100 Jobs! Plastics company in Hanover Park needs Pickers/ Packers, Assemblers, Inspectors and Machine Operators NOW for 12 hour AM and PM shifts. To $8.60/hr 630-620-9800 Walk-ins Welcome 9am-3pm at Staff Force Addison office 190 North Swift Road, Ste X email@example.com (id:4389520) CUSTOMER SERVICE / INSIDE SALES - C.S/Inside Sales Mgr-NW Chicago Sub. Growing Fastener Co needs exper. Mgr with good PC and phone skills. Email Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389208)
- COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254) KITCHEN HELP - Maintenance Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660)
- JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) DELIVERY DRIVER / WAREHOUSE WORKER - Delivery Driver/Warehouse Worker -Arlington Hts, IL Duties: assembling equipment, delivery, pick-up and installation of office equipment to clients locally. Requirements: high school diploma and a valid driver's license. Good work ethic, clean driving record, mechanical aptitude, clean working conditions, ability to lift 75 lbs. Apply to email@example.com Toshiba Business Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer "M/F/D/V -EOE" (id:4389341) CLERK - MEDICAL RECORDS - Clerical -Medical Records Clerk to work in small friendly Home Health Agency located in Oak Brook. Call Bridget or Diane at Best Care 630-645-9600 or fax to 630-645-1455 (id:4389657)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.