Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Sports Events
Hospital stay inspires Geneva teen to help others Oct 19, 2014 7:18 AM
Spending 14 weeks in hospital beds and a wheelchair could have ruined the summer for 15-year-old Lindsey McDonald of Geneva, injured when a horse fell on her. But she chose to concentrate on making life a little better for other patients at Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, where she noticed other children weren't getting any gifts — “not even a balloon” — and their families struggled.
Two suburban marathoners running 26 for Special Olympics Oct 13, 2014 8:13 AM
Among the thousands of runners at Sunday's Chicago Marathon will be about 75 from more than 30 states raising money for Special Olympics Chicago. And among that group are two suburban women, Bartlett resident Maureen Lue and Carpentersville native Becky Gould, for whom the cause is very dear to their hearts. “They're just about the sweetest kids you could meet,” Lue said. “They have such great sportsmanship. They enjoy everything!”
Costumed runners to take downtown Palatine once again at 9th Halloween Hustle Oct 10, 2014 7:10 PM
The 9th Halloween Hustle 5K Fun Run & Walk through downtown Palatine will start at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 25, at the intersection of Eric Drive and Colfax Street.
Hanover Park, Little League clash over new sign at sports complex Oct 7, 2014 6:39 PM
Two years after taking over the facility, Hanover Park plans to make several improvements at a sports complex on Barrington Road. But the sports teams that use the athletic fields want more input on how the village spends money there. "We would love to see more transparency between them and us," said Mike Byrne, the Hanover Park Little League treasurer.
Korean celebrities coming to Schaumburg ballpark Oct 3, 2014 2:33 PM
A gathering of famous South Korean actors, singers and a comedian will be at Boomers Stadium in Schaumburg on Saturday, Oct. 11 and Sunday, Oct. 12 for the Korean All-Star Baseball Game and a concert in the spirit of R’October. The South Korean celebrities will be playing against the Chicago Korean American Baseball team at 4 p.m. Oct. 11 at the baseball stadium at 1999 S. Springinsguth Road in Schaumburg.
McIlroy backing Clarke for next European captain Oct 1, 2014 6:18 AM
Rory McIlroy is backing Darren Clarke as the next Ryder Cup captain for Europe. McIlroy was among influential voices who threw support behind Paul McGinley when Europe was choosing a captain for Gleneagles. McGinley pushed all the right buttons as Europe sailed to victory over the Americans last week.
Europe leads 5-3 after Day 1 of Ryder Cup Sep 26, 2014 4:12 PM
Europe dominated the afternoon foursomes to grab a 5-3 lead after the first day of the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles. With the United States ahead 2½-1½ after Friday morning’s fourballs, Europe won three of the alternate-shot matches in the second session and halved the fourth.
Rozner: Memories of Medinah fresh for Team USA Sep 24, 2014 7:43 AM
The 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah was one of the great sporting events of our time and Europe will ride that high into this week’s match at Gleneagles, where the host team will go off as a nearly 2-1 favorite to win its eighth Ryder Cup in the last 10 tries.
Davis Cup players take time out for local youth Sep 15, 2014 12:15 PM
As some of the best U.S. tennis players gathered in the Northwest suburbs this past weekend for Davis Cup matches at the Sears Centre, they didn’t forget an important constituency: youth players from the area. Team USA held a Davis Cup Fun Day at the South Barrington Club, where nearly 300 young players from tennis clubs throughout the suburbs met some of the best players in the country and had fun playing tennis.
Schaumburg firefighters’ charity softball event Sept. 13 Sep 11, 2014 6:14 PM
The Schaumburg Firefighters Benevolent Association will host its 21st annual charity softball tournament from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 13, at Olympic Park, 1675 E. Old Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg. Thirty-four fire departments from throughout the Chicago area will come together this year to raise money for Loyola University’s Burn Center and the Schaumburg Township Food Pantry.
Davis Cup a big win for suburbs, mayor says Sep 11, 2014 7:13 PM
When Hoffman Estates Mayor Bill McLeod selected the players for the opening match of the Davis Cup tournament that opens Friday at the Sears Centre Arena, he also signaled the return of the “World Cup of Tennis” to Illinois after an absence of more than 85 years. “It brings incredible excitement to the area and impacts the entire region," the mayor said.
Hoffman Estates police, fire softball fundraiser Sept. 27 Sep 8, 2014 12:52 PM
Hoffman Estates’ police officers and firefighters will hold their second annual Shootz & Ladderz Softball Fundraiser from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27 at Cannon Crossings, 1675 Nicholson Drive, in Hoffman Estates. Proceeds will go toward new Citizens Fire Academy equipment for the fire department.
In honor of others, Palatine’s Gates to compete in Wisconsin triathlon Sep 3, 2014 3:54 PM
Palatine's Christine Gates will compete in the Ironman race in Madison, Wisconsin, on Sunday, Sept. 7. Her effort in the grueling race will be made more tolerable by knowing it is benefitting others.
5 great coaching meltdowns Aug 14, 2014 11:55 AM
White Sox manager Robin Ventura has been ejected from a few games for arguing calls, but he took it to another level Wednesday in San Francisco. Ventura kicked dirt and got in the face of umpires after a call at home plate was overturned following a review. Here are five great coaching rants.
Hoffman Ests. Platzkonzert to include 5K race Aug 10, 2014 4:18 PM
The Village of Hoffman Estates annual Platzkonzert Germanfest on Saturday, Sept. 13, this year will include competitive 5K race through the scenic Prairie Stone Business Park.
Fox River fans promote vision for ‘underutilized’ asset Aug 9, 2014 8:12 PM
While hundreds of runners, some as young as 13, raced for the finish line of the eighth Bob Leonard River Run/Walk, an enthusiastic group of Fox River fans used the event to promote their vision of how the river can be home to white water rafting, decorative pedestrian bridgesr, floating gardens, splash pads for kids and rowing clubs for teens and adults
Boomers host ‘Human Interaction Night’ July 26 Jul 22, 2014 6:59 PM
Leave the phone at home (or at least turn it off) for the Schaumburg Boomers’ “Human Interaction Night” at 6 p.m. Saturday, July 26 when the defending Frontier League champions square off against the Traverse City Beach Bums.
Polo tournament fundraiser set for Sunday in Batavia Jul 14, 2014 1:03 PM
Many people do not know there is a polo field in Batavia, on Bliss Road, just south of Main Street. This weekend, Blackberry Polo Field will host a Seniors Tournament that doubles as a fundraiser for local arts organizations.
Rain adds ‘excitement’ to Winfield Criterium Jul 12, 2014 6:07 PM
With earlier rain and the threat of more looming, the 15th annual Winfield Criterium bike race took a bit more significance. The dicey weather meant riders needed to be doubly diligent in avoiding crashes.
Criterium riders pedal into Winfield Jul 11, 2014 2:29 PM
When you have an event that has packs of cyclists speeding down residential streets, how can you ramp up the excitement level? For the organizers of Saturday's Winfield Criterium, it involves taking a normally two-day event and consolidating it into a single day crammed with professional and amateur races.
- Bomb threat cancels activities at Neuqua Valley, school open Friday
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- Girls volleyball: Thursday's results
- Oak Brook woman still learning and teaching at 83
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- Northwest suburban schools show growth in math
- State officials: No more 'failing' schools this year
- Batavia football coach criticized over referendum email
- When smoke clears, Cubs will hunt for free agents
- Lake Barrington planners recommend gas station
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3pm-11pm shift & Weekend Only Program and PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4389403) MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to email@example.com Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) ARCHITECT SYSTEM - Solution Architect Grant Thornton LLP is seeking a Solution Architect in Chicago, IL with the following requirements: BS in CS, CIS, MIS, Management or a related field and 5 years prior experience. Prior exp. must include: design, develop and implement all parts of an Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application (EPMA or classic): metadata, lists, rules, security, webforms and reports; develop Excel tools with Smartview and VBA to meet client needs on HFM; design and create dynamic reports with Financial Reporting Studio; implement, maintain and update HFM related tools including FDM, DRM and EPMA. 100% travel required. Must live near a major airport. Please apply at www.gt.com by clicking on the Careers link. (id:4389494)
- FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660) JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
- EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) CAREGIVER/CNA - Flexible hours and positions. Assisitng Hands 630-305-9100 (id:4388613) CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.