Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Severe Weather
Chance of severe storms mainly south this evening Oct 13, 2014 6:02 PM
Strong thunderstorms with wind gusts in excess of 60 mph could hit the area this evening, the National Weather Service is reporting. Any of these storms could produce heavy rain, lightning and an “isolated tornado,” according to the weather service. A tornado watch that had been effect for counties south of the Chicago area has been expanded to include Will County.
Storm damages some homes in northeastern Indiana Oct 8, 2014 6:20 AM
Officials say a storm damaged several homes in northeastern Indiana a weather front moved across the state.
Weather forces flight cancellations in Chicago Oct 2, 2014 4:36 PM
Weather is causing delays and hundreds of cancellations at Chicago’s international airports almost a week after sabotage at a suburban air traffic control center disrupted travel nationwide. The Chicago Department of Aviation said Thursday that 450 flights were canceled at O’Hare and 300 flights were canceled at Midway, including all Southwest Airlines flights.
O’Hare, Midway, canceling flights due to chance of bad weather Oct 2, 2014 2:26 PM
O’Hare International Airport and Midway Airport have been canceling flights scheduled this afternoon due to expected bad weather and the previous fire at the Federal Aviation Administration tower in Aurora. About 450 flights have been canceled at O’Hare and up to 300 at Midway as of late morning.
Forecasters: This winter won't be as bad as last year Sep 22, 2014 7:06 AM
While summer ended nearly spot-on as far as average temperature goes, it probably didn't seem that way because of a soggy atmosphere and overcast skies that frequently lurked. “What was lacking this year were the warm spells,” Tom Skilling said. The good news? Forecasters say the winter ahead won't be nearly as bad as the last one.
Firefighters finally home from Cabo: ‘We figured it was time to try' Sep 21, 2014 1:20 AM
The Hoffman Estates wedding party slipped out of their Mexican hotel at 5 a.m. Thursday, toting their luggage down a side road and through an industrial area heavily damaged by Hurrican Odile. There, they met the vans they were promised to get them to the Los Cabos airport. "We figured it was time to try something,” Hoffman Estate firefighter Bart Needham said. They were finally going home.
How Hoffman Estates firefighters got out of storm-damaged Cabo Sep 19, 2014 9:06 AM
For days after Hurricane Odile struck Los Cabos, Mexico, the wedding party of Hoffman Estates fire Lt. Tom Mangiameli had contended with dwindling food and water supplies, no electricity and the threat of looters roaming the area outside their hotel. But with the resourcefulness of some former military members among their ranks, the party made its break for freedom under cover of darkness early Thursday morning.
Flood advisory for suburbs extended as rain continues to fall Sep 10, 2014 11:16 AM
The National Weather Service has issued a flood advisory for the suburbs until 2:30 p.m. The weather service estimates two to four inches of rain has fallen on the area so far today, with another one to inches possible.
Storm causes as much as $5 million in damage to Wheeling High School Sep 9, 2014 11:37 PM
The severe storm that ripped through the suburbs Friday afternoon caused as much as $5 million in damages at Wheeling High School that need to be fixed immediately, officials said. The Northwest Suburban High School District 214 school board will hold an emergency meeting Thursday morning to approve waiving competitive bidding and spending the funds needed for quick repairs to the school.
ComEd: 930 suburban homes still without power Sep 7, 2014 8:43 PM
About 930 suburban homes are still without power Sunday afternoon from Friday afternoon's violent storm.
ComEd: On track to restore power by Sunday night Sep 6, 2014 10:10 PM
While around 31,500, most in the Northwest and North suburbs, remained without electrical power Saturday night in the wake of Friday’s violent storms, ComEd officials said repair crews were making progress and that almost all service is expected to be restored by Sunday night.
Falling tree in Northfield kills Chicago actress Sep 13, 2014 1:01 AM
A veteran actress in TV shows and stage productions across the area, Molly Glynn died Saturday after being struck by a tree uprooted during Friday’s violent storms. “I couldn’t save her. I couldn’t save her. She’s gone,” read a Saturday morning Facebook post by her husband and fellow actor Joe Foust.
Images: Friday Severe Weather Sep 5, 2014 9:05 PM
Images from Friday's sudden rain and fast-moving severe weather in the suburbs of Chicago. Thousands were out of power in the region, and large trees were downed as well.
Storms packing high winds and heavy rain roll through the area Sep 5, 2014 4:03 PM
A quick-moving storm brought high winds and heavy rain into Lake County Friday afternoon. A tree fell onto a car at the Libertyville Metra Station and trapped the driver.
More than 60,000 without power in suburbs Sep 6, 2014 7:54 AM
More than 60,000 customers remained without power in the Northwest and West suburbs as of 8 a.m. after strong storms whipped through Friday afternoon. More than 37,000 were without power there as of 1 a.m., especially in an area centered on Arlington Heights, Rolling Meadows, Palatine, Mount Prospect, Prospect Heights and Wheeling. Kane County's 10,000 without power centered on Elgin and East and West Dundee.
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice Sep 2, 2014 2:08 PM
Remember the polar vortex, the huge mass of Arctic air that can plunge much of the U.S. into the deep freeze? You might have to get used to it. A new study says that as the world gets warmer, parts of North America, Europe and Asia could see more frequent and stronger visits of that cold air. Researchers say that’s because of shrinking ice in the seas off Russia.
Severe thunderstorm warning for Cook, Lake counties expires Aug 26, 2014 11:29 AM
A severe thunderstorm warning issued for northwestern Cook and Lake counties was allowed to expire at 10:45 a.m., according the National Weather Service. The line of storms that prompted the warning weakened and no longer posed a serious threat, the weather service said.
Storms cause flight cancellations, delays; maybe rain overnight Aug 25, 2014 11:34 PM
A band of thunderstorms that traveled through the area in early afternoon caused delays at both airports and a severe thunderstorm watch has been extended for some areas through 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service.
District 95 puts new excessive heat plan to use on the first day of classes Aug 25, 2014 5:48 PM
It didn't take long for Lake Zurich Unit District 95 officials to tap into a new heat policy designed for school buildings without central air conditioning. “Yes, how ironic that we had to institute the extreme heat procedures on the first day after a relatively cool summer,” District 95 spokeswoman Jean Malek said.
Storms bring relief from hot temperatures Aug 25, 2014 2:17 PM
Temperatures rose quickly this morning before storms moved into the area and sent temperatures back into the 70s. The forecast calls for more storms this afternoon and evening.
- State officials: No more 'failing' schools this year
- Batavia football coach criticized over referendum email
- Des Plaines gifted school cuts hair for a cause
- Bulls' Butler not worried about his next deal
- Girls volleyball: Thursday's results
- Lake County to announce street gang arrests today
- Prisoner who helped free death row inmate is freed himself
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- St. Charles East completes trifecta against Waubonsie Valley
- McGraw: Bulls, Cavs should be a good rivalry this season
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3pm-11pm shift & Weekend Only Program and PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4389403) MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) ARCHITECT SYSTEM - Solution Architect Grant Thornton LLP is seeking a Solution Architect in Chicago, IL with the following requirements: BS in CS, CIS, MIS, Management or a related field and 5 years prior experience. Prior exp. must include: design, develop and implement all parts of an Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application (EPMA or classic): metadata, lists, rules, security, webforms and reports; develop Excel tools with Smartview and VBA to meet client needs on HFM; design and create dynamic reports with Financial Reporting Studio; implement, maintain and update HFM related tools including FDM, DRM and EPMA. 100% travel required. Must live near a major airport. Please apply at www.gt.com by clicking on the Careers link. (id:4389494)
- FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660) JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
- EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) CAREGIVER/CNA - Flexible hours and positions. Assisitng Hands 630-305-9100 (id:4388613) CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.