Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Potts, Ken
Deciding how much we really need can be trickyNov 3, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts continues his exploration of what — and how much — we really need, this time from the perspective of American psychologist Abraham Maslow.
How much is enough? Enough Oct 24, 2013 12:00 AM
How much is enough? Our Ken Potts poses the question and considers how a billionaire's and Mother Teresa's answers might differ. And with help from a Chinese philosopher, he develops an answer that could help guide us all.
When women work, men should share the load at home Oct 17, 2013 12:00 AM
When a wife heads into the working world - taking on a share of the earning responsibility - she often ends up keeping most or all of her household responsibilities as well. Our Ken Potts says it's in everyone's best interests for husbands to pick up a share of the domestic chores.
Kids don’t always understand what we mean Oct 2, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says just because we talk to children doesn't necessarily mean they understand what we're saying.
Tips for avoiding wedding warfare Sep 26, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts offers some tips for avoiding the stress and problems that sometime come with planning weddings.
Expect the unexpected out in the world Sep 19, 2013 12:00 AM
Like most of us, our Ken Potts grew up with his mother's admonitions to always wear clean underwear. But though he took the advice to heart, he didn't think much about the meaning behind the words until he saw an unexpected sight holding up traffic on the tollway.
Summertime and the living really is easier Aug 8, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says living really may be easier in the summer -- and it may be worthwhile to keep that in mind all year long.
For each generation, changing the world is tougher than it looks Aug 1, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts remembers back when Baby Boomers were going to change the world. That, it turns out, was a little more difficult than it looked.
Manage emotional sensitivity for successful relationships Jul 25, 2013 12:00 AM
Some people are emotionally sensitive, more affected by the drama of everyday life than the average population. But learning to live with being emotionally sensitive is awfully important, our Ken Potts says. Developing a few emotional calluses just might help.
Balancing all our ‘wants’ can be a tricky thing Jul 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says balancing all our "wants" can be a tricky -- and sometimes nearly impossible -- thing.
We only come this way once Jul 15, 2013 12:00 AM
We've all know the feeling of wondering, "What have I done," our Ken Potts says. Sometimes we're questioning simple, everyday decisions. Othertimes, we're shaken by doubts about life-changing choices. Today, Potts explores getting back on the right path in life.
Avoid sounding like adults in “Charlie Brown” Jul 15, 2013 12:00 AM
One morning while rushing his son to get ready for the day, our Ken Potts realized he sounded a lot like the droning trumpet that stands in for adult voices in the animated Charlie Brown specials. "If those tones sounded so negative to me, how were my words sounding to my son?" Potts asks.
Finding a balance between being submissive and aggressiveJul 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Being assertive means claiming and exercising no more — and no less — power than is rightfully ours in any given situation, our Ken Potts says. "Now, that’s not only difficult to say, it is also difficult to do," he said. "It involves figuring out what we are really responsible for, what we ought to do, and then doing it."
‘Submissive’ one end of power spectrumJul 15, 2013 12:00 AM
You probably know a selfless spouse, parent, employee, volunteer -- someone willing to tackle any job even if it consumes every moment of would-be "me time." But if he or she seems a little sad in the midst of all that good work, our Ken Potts says you might be dealing with a submissive -- and potentially destructive -- personality.
Do TV and movies make kids violent? Jul 12, 2013 12:00 AM
Viewed video violence can lead to an increase in pushing, shoving, hitting, or even more dramatic violence, our Ken Potts says. But most of us still don’t seem to be all that aggressive just because we see violence on TV or in a movie. He asks, what’s the catch?
Let your values guide your life choices Jul 8, 2013 12:00 AM
If you knew you had only a short time to live, would you race around having crazy experiences or would you treasure time with family and friends? Our Ken Potts suggests we think about what would matter to us in our final days and let these values guide our decisions every day.
You can ‘get away’ from it all without leaving home Jun 30, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says it's good for all of us to get away every so often just to experience the change of scenery, change of pace and, hopefully, change of perspective that comes with such vacations. But even if we can't afford to travel, Potts says it is possible to “get away” while never leaving home, and to do this on a regular basis if we’re determined enough.
How our eating habits reflect our self-concept Jun 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says our eating habits sometimes can reflect our own self image.
Recommit to being better dads this Father’s Day Jun 13, 2013 12:00 AM
On Father's Day, our Ken Potts reflects on what we need from our dads and what fathers should be giving their children. "For us dads, we want to always remember that we have a big and important job to do and that our kids are really counting on us," Potts says. "And since we’re not going to be around forever, we’d better not put things off. There is no time like now to be a good dad."
Weekends are the time to go at a more leisurely pace Jun 6, 2013 12:00 AM
Our Ken Potts says it's important to carve out a little time for ourselves over the weekend -- time when we can set aside our to-do lists and simply recharge our batteries.
- Mom upset over candy, movies at daughter's school
- Coldwater Creek stores to close
- Arlington Heights man sentenced for 6th DUI
- Huntley could become distribution hub for Weber grills
- Rentals, mixed-use projects revive suburban sites
- Chapa LaVia apologizes over racial comments
- Classmate of murder suspect wants to end confusion about names
- Dawn Patrol: 6 years for 6th DUI; good, bad news for Schaumburg dogs
- Help and tears follow story on veterinarian
- No Wing pool, new farm animals in Elgin this summer
- SR. FINANCIAL ANALYST - Financial Sr. Financial Analyst -Charge Master Full-time, Days This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business; Master's degree preferred. Requires a minimum five to seven years of health care experience and knowledgeable of the healthcare industry, reimbursement programs, hospital coding, provider billing, and revenue analysis. Apply online at: www.rockfordhealthsystem.org EOE (id:4369976) MERCHANDISER - Hiring P-T Merchandisers and Team Leads Shifts available: M-Th 6am-2:30pm and Sun-Wed 9:30pm-6am. Apply at www.fprs.com (id:4368898) LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE - Moore Landscapes, Inc La compania de Moore Landscapes localisada en Northbrook il esta solicitando trabajadores para los suburbios de Chicago. De preferencia que tengan experiencia. Por fabor llamar a Simon Garcia al (847)774-0753. (id:4368882)
- SR TECH ANALYST - Computer Sr Tech Analyst: Provide on-going tech analysis/development in of enterprise storage mgmt & reporting. Resp for admin & maintenance of storage infrastructure & serve as migration, deployment & admin expert. Provide tech expertise for data center migration/consolidation projects. Chicago, IL loc. Req's MS in Comp Eng'r'g & 2 yrs exp as Systems Analyst. Exp must incl: a) admin & maintenance of storage infrastructure, b) data center migration/consolidation, c) V-Max to V-Max long distance replication for data migration; d) install/ config of ECC 6.1 w/Performance Mgr & Storage scope components; e) config of Cisco 9124e switches, & f) install/ config of Cisco Fabric Mgr. Send resume to: Lion Re:Sources, Inc., 35 W. Wack-er Dr, Chicago, IL, 60601, Attn: J. Capp. Ref # 202MH. (id:4370015) COMMUNITY SERVICE OFFICERS - Part-time Community Service Officers Village of Lombard The Village of Lombard has three positions available for Part-time Community Service Officers assigned to the Police Department. The Community Service Officers perform a variety of routine and complex tasks relating to the interpretation of adopted codes, rules and regulations to achieve compliance and mitigate problems. The successful candidate must possess the following minimum qualifications: High school diploma or equivalent with up to one year of experience communicating with the general public, preferably in a law enforcement environment; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge skills and abilities for this job. Job requires CPR certification and the possession of a valid Illinois driver's license. Starting hourly rate is $18.73. This position will work an average of 29 hours a week. The hours will vary; weekends between 7 a.m. -10 p.m. There may be one weekday also added. Please submit a completed application and resume by Friday, April 11, 2014 to: Village of Lombard 255 E. Wilson Lombard, Illinois 60148 fax: (630) 620-8222 or email: email@example.com EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (id:4368816) EDUCATION - Education Harper College Summer Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Summer 2014 Adjunct Faculty positions: Credit Classes: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu harpercollege.edu Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Exploring Learning Illuminating Academic ESL Adult Education/Literacy ESL Astronomy Certified Nursing Assistant Chemistry Engineering General Biology German Human Anatomy Human Physiology Mathematics Philosophy Physical Science Physics Spanish (id:4369579)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.