Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Northern Illinois
Winston says he knew he would ‘be vindicated’ Dec 13, 2013 7:35 PM
Jameis Winston and four of the other six Heisman finalists — Northern Illinois’ Jordan Lynch, Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, Auburn’s Tre Mason and Boston College’s Andre Williams — met with reporters at a Midtown Manhattan hotel for short interviews Friday.
Heisman trip fitting tribute to wide-eyed Lynch Dec 10, 2013 9:02 PM
For NIU and Jordan Lynch, an invite to New York as a Heisman finalist seems a fitting tribute to one of the best players in college football.
NIU’s Lynch among Heisman finalists Dec 9, 2013 6:08 PM
Jameis Winston will have plenty of company at the Heisman Trophy ceremony, though he’s not expected to have much competition. The Florida State quarterback was among a record-tying six Heisman finalists revealed Monday, along with Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch, Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel, Alabama’s AJ McCarron, Auburn’s Tre Mason and Boston College’s Andre Williams. Six finalists invited to New York for the presentation are the most since 1994. The winner will be announced Saturday night. Winston is the overwhelming favorite to win the award now that a sexual assault complaint against him in Tallahassee, Fla., has been closed without charges being filed. He could also become the second freshman to win the award. Manziel was the first last year. The Aggies quarterback is trying to join another exclusive Heisman club by becoming the second player to win the award twice. Ohio State’s Archie Griffin won the award in 1974 and `75. Lynch led No. 24 Northern Illinois (12-1) to within a victory of a BCS bid and has set the major college record for yards rushing for a quarterback this season with 1,815. He also tweeted that he was a finalist about five minutes before the official announcement was made on ESPN by former winner Danny Wuerffel. “NYC here I come!! Thanks to the coaches teammates and media relation couldn’t of did it wt out them!” the record-setting senior posted. McCarron completed 67 percent of his passes for 2,676 yards and 26 touchdowns for the fourth-ranked Crimson Tide (11-1). Mason has made a late push into the Heisman conversation as No. 2 Auburn reached the BCS title game. He ran for 304 yards and four TDs in the SEC championship game, and is ninth in the country in rushing (124 ypg) with 22 touchdowns Williams is the nation’s leading rusher at 175 yards per game, the 16th player in FBS to run for 2,000 yards in a season and the first since 2008. Winston’s arrival as Florida State’s starting quarterback was being touted as a major event in the spring and he has surpassed the hype. The Alabama native is on pace to break the NCAA record for passer efficiency rating (190.1) and has already set records for yards passing (3,820) and TD passes (38) for a freshman. Winston’s only issues have come off the field. About a month ago, a year-old sexual assault complaint against him made by a female Florida State student was given by police to the state attorney’s office for a full investigation. A woman claimed Winston raped her. Winston’s lawyer said the sex was consensual. Winston continued to play, and play well, during the investigation. Last week, the state attorney announced there would be no charges filed in the case, and two days later Winston threw for three touchdown passes and ran for a score as No. 1 Florida State won the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game 45-7 against Duke and wrapped up a spot in the BCS title game. In the latest straw poll released Monday by HeismanPundit.com, which has correctly predicted the last seven winners, Winston received seven of the 10 first-place votes and 26 points to easily outdistance Lynch (eight points and two first-place votes). Winston is also a finalist for the Maxwell and Walter Camp player of the year awards. All six finalists are expected to attend the ceremony, which would match `94 for the most in Heisman history. That season Colorado tailback Rashaan Salaam won the Heisman, and Penn State’s Ki-Jana Carter and Kerry Collins, along with Alcorn State’s Steve McNair, Alabama’s Jay Barker and Miami’s Warren Sapp were finalists. In 1989, eight players were invited to the ceremony, but only four attended. Among the missing was Houston’s Andre Ware, who won the award but was preparing for a game.
NIU going to Poinsettia Bowl Dec 8, 2013 9:27 PM
Star dual-threat quarterback Jordan Lynch and the No. 24. Northern Illinois Huskies will face Mountain West Conference Mountain Division champion Utah State in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 26 at Qualcomm Stadium. Northern Illinois (12-1) saw its hopes of playing in a BCS game dashed by a 47-27 loss to Bowling Green in the Mid-American Conference title game. Lynch ran for 1,881 yards, an NCAA record for quarterbacks, and passed for 2,676. Utah State (8-5) lost 24-17 to No. 21 Fresno State in the inaugural Mountain West title game Saturday night. It will play in its school-record third straight bowl game.
Thanks NIU for a remarkable run Dec 7, 2013 10:48 PM
Never did I think I'd see NIU go on a 24-3 run and reach the Orange Bowl, while becoming relevant on the national college football stage. Not in my lifetime. Thanks, NIU, for the memories.
Bowling Green stuns NIU 47-27 Dec 6, 2013 11:23 PM
Matt Johnson threw four of his career-high five touchdown passes in the first half and Bowling Green routed No. 16 Northern Illinois 47-27 on Friday night for the Mid-American Conference title, ending the Huskies’ shot at playing in a marquee bowl game. The Northern Illinois (12-1) loss improves the chances of Baylor or Oregon being an at-large team in a BCS bowl game.
NIU’s new husky mascot from Marengo Dec 6, 2013 5:12 PM
Northern Illinois University’s new husky mascot is coming from a dog breeder in Marengo. The school said last month that it was retiring Diesel the husky dog after nine years. He’ll be replaced by a 2-year-old husky named Mission.
Da timing a bit off for Da ceremony Dec 5, 2013 10:01 PM
Here's a proposition for the Bears: How about finding a way to hold a jersey retirement ceremony in September?
Carey leads NIU to brink of another BCS bowl Dec 5, 2013 4:40 PM
Rod Carey has a shot at a conference championship and a chance to crash the BCS party again as he winds up his first full season as Northern Illinois’ head coach. With Heisman Trophy candidate Jordan Lynch at quarterback, the 16th-ranked Huskies will try to remain unbeaten and capture their third straight Mid-American Conference championship when they meet Bowling Green in the title game in Detroit on Friday.
Another MAC honor for NIU’s Lynch Dec 2, 2013 4:35 PM
Northern Illinois University quarterback Jordan Lynch earned a his eighth Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Week honor after leading NIU to a 33-14 victory over Western Michigan, league officials announced Monday.
Huskie legend Jorgensen dies at 78 Dec 2, 2013 4:34 PM
DEKALB — A member of the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame, former men’s basketball head coach Tom Jorgensen, who was known for his high-scoring teams, died Friday in Aurora, Colo., at the age of 78.
Nebraska edges Northern Illinois 63-58 Nov 30, 2013 3:15 PM
Deverell Biggs had 18 points and hit four free throws in the final 7 seconds as Nebraska held on to defeat Northern Illinois 63-58 Saturday.
Fresno State loss may have implications for NIU Nov 29, 2013 8:34 PM
David Fales threw for 543 yards and six touchdowns in an entertaining showdown with Derek Carr and San Jose ended No. 16 Fresno State's run toward a possible BCS bowl with a 62-52 victory Friday. The loss ended Fresno State's chances to beat out Northern Illinois for a spot in a prestigious BCS game. The Huskies are the only undefeated team from a non-automatic qualifying conference.
Thanksgiving edition reveals so much gratitude in so little space Nov 28, 2013 5:30 AM
Despite a rough week in Chicago sports, Spellman's Scorecard somehow still finds plenty to be thankful for.
Diesel, NIU’s mascot, retiring after 9 years Nov 26, 2013 12:57 PM
Northern Illinois’ blue-eyed husky mascot is retiring after spending nine years on the sidelines. The high-fiving canine is a furry fixture at Huskies games along with his owner, Tom Bonnevier. The school’s athletics director, Sean Frazier, says in a statement that Diesel “has become the face of Huskie football.”
NIU routs Broncos, completes perfect regular season Nov 27, 2013 7:36 AM
Jordan Lynch broke his single-game rushing record for quarterbacks with 321 yards and No. 18 Northern Illinois completed its first unbeaten regular season in 50 years with a 33-14 victory over Western Michigan on Tuesday night. "Jordan Lynch is the best player in college football and that's no disrespect to anyone else" said Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, who starred at Kaneland High School and Northern Illinois, before taking over the Broncos.
Unbeaten Huskies shrug off BCS questions Nov 26, 2013 9:15 AM
Northern Illinois is a 35-point favorite Tuesday night against Western Michigan (1-10, 1-6 MAC) but Huskies coach Rod Carey won’t let anyone take the week off. A victory would give the Huskies (11-0, 7-0) their first unbeaten regular season since reaching major college status in 1969, and it would extend the nation’s longest active home winning streak to 26.
NIU busts through as Lynch’s stock rises Nov 25, 2013 7:35 PM
A surprising jump in the BCS standings not only boosted NIU’s chances of busting through again, but it also means Jordan Lynch has a better shot at a Heisman invite.
NIU reaches 14th in BCS standings Nov 24, 2013 8:00 PM
Northern Illinois moved ahead of Fresno State in the BCS standings and up to No. 14 as the Huskies and Bulldogs jockey to be the last BCS buster. NIU jumped two spots Sunday and Fresno State slipped one to 16th. The top three teams in the BCS standings were unchanged: Alabama, Florida State and Ohio State — the remaining undefeated teams in BCS automatic qualifying conferences. The other major college unbeatens, Northern Illinois and Fresno State, are fighting for one automatic bid. They have to finish in the top 12 of the last BCS standings, which comes out Dec. 8, or finish in the top 16 while ranking ahead of an AQ-conference champion. Central Florida is in position to win the American Athletic Conference auto-bid, but is 19th in the latest standings. BCS standings: 1. Alabama 2. Florida St. 3. Ohio St. 4. Auburn 5. Missouri 6. Clemson 7. Oklahoma St. 8. Stanford 9. Baylor 10. South Carolina 11. Michigan St. 12. Arizona St. 13. Oregon 14. N. Illinois 15. Wisconsin 16. Fresno St. 17. LSU 18. Oklahoma 19. UCF 20. Louisville 21. Texas A&M 22. UCLA 23. Southern Cal 24. Duke 25. Notre Dame
Lynch’s 3 TDs lead NIU over Toledo 35-17 Nov 21, 2013 8:05 AM
Backed up against the end zone on third down, Northern Illinois' Jordan Lynch had the defense right where he wanted. He dropped back, waited until he spotted an opening and scrambled up the middle for a first down that sparked a 99-yard drive, clinching a 35-17 victory over Toledo on Wednesday night. "That's a momentum killer," he said. "It's a real dagger to the defense."
- Batavia football coach criticized over referendum email
- Bomb threat cancels activities at Neuqua Valley, school open Friday
- St. Charles North can't stop Benet
- Focused Cary-Grove a regional champ
- How does Google Maps find out about traffic delays?
- Top-tier apartments proposed for unfinished Libertyville building
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Girls volleyball: Lake County roundup
- Dawn Patrol: Cold Halloween weather coming; Neuqua Valley to reopen
- Glenbard West wins third consecutive regional title
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3pm-11pm shift & Weekend Only Program and PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4389403) MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to email@example.com Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) ARCHITECT SYSTEM - Solution Architect Grant Thornton LLP is seeking a Solution Architect in Chicago, IL with the following requirements: BS in CS, CIS, MIS, Management or a related field and 5 years prior experience. Prior exp. must include: design, develop and implement all parts of an Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application (EPMA or classic): metadata, lists, rules, security, webforms and reports; develop Excel tools with Smartview and VBA to meet client needs on HFM; design and create dynamic reports with Financial Reporting Studio; implement, maintain and update HFM related tools including FDM, DRM and EPMA. 100% travel required. Must live near a major airport. Please apply at www.gt.com by clicking on the Careers link. (id:4389494)
- FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660) JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
- EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) CAREGIVER/CNA - Flexible hours and positions. Assisitng Hands 630-305-9100 (id:4388613) CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.