Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Niles
Gala raises $815,000 for Women's Health Initiative Dec 17, 2013 4:11 PM
This year's Swedish Covenant Hospital Foundation's Gala raised a remarkable $815,000 for the health of north side women and their families.
Prosecutor: Maine West hazing culture 'rampant' Dec 18, 2013 10:02 AM
Former Maine West High School soccer coach Michael Divincenzo perpetuated a culture of hazing in his program by doing nothing to stop initiation practices by his players, a Cook County prosecutor said as the former coach and teacher went on trial on multiple misdemeanor charges. Defense attorney Todd Pugh said holding Divincenzo criminally liable for actions of third parties is “morally and legally wrong.”
Collins nets Maine West career scoring record Dec 18, 2013 12:07 AM
Maine West senior Brittany Collins had a hard time describing her feelings after the Warriors defeated Maine South 43-39 for the first time in her four-year career. But it couldn’t have been as hard it has been for opponents trying to stop the 6-foot forward from scoring points the last four seasons. Her 15 points in Tuesday night’s Central Suburban League crossover in Park Ridge placed Collins in the No. 1 spot in school history for career points. She now has 1,653, breaking the mark of 1,648 set by Megan Edwards in 2005.
Man: ‘I already shot a cop. I’m not afraid to shoot her’ Dec 17, 2013 6:02 AM
Moments after shooting an Arlington Heights police officer and leaving him critically wounded Thursday night, a Niles man phoned a 911 dispatcher, telling him he was in a basement with his estranged girlfriend and would shoot anyone who tried to enter, according to recordings obtained Monday by the Daily Herald. “I already shot a cop. I’m not afraid to shoot her,” Eric M. Anderson tells the dispatcher.
2013-2014 Northwest suburban Leadership Team Dec 13, 2013 8:35 AM
The 10 winners in the 2013-14 Northwest suburban Leadership Team competition do many different things, but they share a common purpose of living for others. "Changing a community is the first step to changing the world and it cannot be done without the dedicated hearts of many," writes Emily Hernandez of Buffalo Grove High School, who is among the 36 students — both winners and honorable mentions — being honored here.
2013-2014 Northwest Suburban Leadership Team honorable mentions Dec 13, 2013 5:45 AM
2013-2014 Northwest Suburban Leadership Team honorable mentions
Maine West looks sharp, tops Maine East Dec 13, 2013 10:27 PM
Maine West rolled over an undermanned but spirited Maine East wrestling club Friday night in a Central Suburban League crosstown dual in the Demons’ historic fieldhouse. The visiting Warriors (5-2-0, 2-0-0) were fueled by a handful of forfeits and a trio of pins from Adeel Afshar, Kevin Mendoza and Joey Vogeny to record a 54-19 victory in advance of a trip to the 29th annual Wildcat Invite at Wheeling on Saturday. The field there features state power Sandburg, the reigning Class 3A state champion.
Arlington Hts. shooter had criminal past, cop expected to recover Dec 13, 2013 10:47 PM
Arlington Heights Police Officer Michael McEvoy is in an induced coma and facing more surgeries as he recovers from a gunshot wound to the face suffered during a hostage situation Thursday night, but he is expected to recover fully, police say. The shooter, Eric Anderson,41, of Niles, had a long criminal record and was recently the subject of an order of protection from the woman he took hostage. Anderson was killed by police Thursday night.
District 207 abates nearly $1.5 million Dec 11, 2013 4:17 PM
Maine Township High School District 207 is abating $1,478,562 to taxpayers from tax proceeds collected in 2013. “We believe our financial management and cost-containment efforts have put us in a position that we can make this tax abatement without compromising the quality of our education,” Superintendent Ken Wallace said.
Dist. 207 planning $6 million of improvements at schools Dec 10, 2013 7:11 PM
Maine Township High School District 207 officials are planning more than $6 million worth of facility improvement projects next summer at the district’s three schools as part of a 10-year capital plan. The work includes the installation of security cameras at all schools and the replacement of football stadium lights at Maine West and Maine East. “We’re starting to hear some themes, which is ‘replace’ (and) ‘50 years old’ on a lot of our equipment. Fifty years is a long time for some of this equipment,” said Mary Kalou, the district’s assistant superintendent for business.
Andress helps Conant complete perfect day at Addison Trail Dec 7, 2013 6:05 PM
Conant saved its best for last. Dan Andress earned a hard-fought 6-4 decision over Stephen Hayden in the final bout of the day to edge host Addison Trail 33-28 and finish a perfect 3-0 effort Saturday afternoon in Addison. The Cougars bested state ranked Notre Dame 36-27 in its opener, then walloped Glenbrook North 84-0, setting the stage for what proved to be a thriller with the feel of something much bigger than an early dual.
Chicago artists on exhibit at Koehnline Museum Dec 6, 2013 5:21 PM
Enjoy a fascinating side-by-side look at works by contemporary Chicago artists Sandra Holubow and Judith Roth, each of whom brings a unique perspective to capturing the Windy City, starting Thursday, Dec. 12, at Oakton’s Koehnline Museum of Art, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines. Both artists will attend a public reception on opening night from 5 to 8 p.m. The free exhibition Unforgettable Places, Memorable People runs through Friday, Jan. 24.
10th Empty Bowls fundraiser comes to Oakton Saturday Dec 4, 2013 1:36 PM
Professional and student potters from the Chicago area have contributed hundreds of unique bowls for the 10th Empty Bowls fundraiser at Oakton Community College. The event, which raises awareness about local and worldwide hunger, will run 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., at Oakton’s Des Plaines campus, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines.
Home-schooler petitions Dist. 207 to play sports Dec 4, 2013 5:28 AM
As a home-schooled student, 15-year-old Nick Peterson was told he couldn’t join the Maine West wrestling team — unless Maine Township District 207 rules changed. That’s why Nick and his parents are appealing to school board members and district administrators to change a district policy that prevents home-schooled students from participating in interscholastic athletics.
DCFS campaign emphasizes anti-hazing message Dec 3, 2013 10:35 AM
A year after the suburban hazing scandal at Maine West High School, the state agency responsible for safeguarding the welfare of children is renewing its push to educate school districts about the state's “mandated reporter” law and to empower students to speak up about abuse. “We've reached an estimated 1.5 million students statewide so far. It's an effort to speak directly to the students. ... It's also a message for (mandated reporters),” DCFS spokeswoman Karen Hawkins said.
Moylan visits Maine Community Youth Assistance Foundation Dec 31, 2013 11:07 AM
State Rep. Marty Moylan, of Des Plaines, recently visited the Maine Township Community Youth Assistance Foundation, a nonprofit organization that promotes healthy choices among Maine Township’s youth, focusing on preventing the use of alcohol and other drugs.
Master puppeteer at Oakton performance for adults Nov 27, 2013 1:07 PM
11.14- with one photo-page 2 Chicago’s Redmoon Theater co-founder Blair Thomas sure knows how to pull the strings behind the scenes! Puppetry, storytelling, and high art converge for an unbelievable night of amazing showmanship in “Hard Headed Heart” at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, at Oakton’s Footlik Theater, 1600 East Golf Road, Des Plaines.
Defense-first Grayslake Central stops Maine S. Nov 26, 2013 11:24 PM
Defense means a great deal to Grayslake Central’s girls basketball team. The Rams would like to keep their opponents under 40 in each game this season. Grayslake Central followed its game plan to a “D” and earned a 46-35 victory over host Maine South in the Bison Classic on Tuesday night in Park Ridge.
Master puppeteer to perform at Oakton Nov 24, 2013 4:38 PM
Redmoon Theater co-founder Blair will give an amazing display of puppeteer showmanship in “Hard Headed Heart” at 8 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 7, at Oakton’s Footlik Theater, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines.
Latino students inspired to success by Harper summit Nov 22, 2013 5:13 PM
Nestor Zavala came to the U.S. at 10 years old knowing success would be a lot harder for him than most of his peers. His broken English attracted bullies. He didn’t particularly like school. His family was poor. It wasn’t until he attended one of the first Latino Summits at Harper College that he realized higher education would be the gateway. “I didn’t know what college was until that event,” Zavala said. “I was inspired. I told myself, ‘I want to be like that.’”
- Chicago broadcasting legend Roy Leonard dies
- Top 10 home features buyers want now
- Garth Brooks hits the stage in Rosemont
- Fire engulfs former Lake County forest district HQ
- 2 arrested after shooting in Carpentersville
- Football: Week 1 MVPs
- Dist. 158 parents worry kids can access porn on tablets
- Cops: 2 more possible victims in teacher sex abuse case come forward
- Former Arlington Hts. 'Jeopardy!' champ facing charges
- Three shot during Aurora restaurant robbery
- New app will fly drone to your emergency situation
- Former Arlington Hts. 'Jeopardy!' champ facing charges
- Elgin officer's Facebook comments under investigation
- Top 10 home features buyers want now
- Building burns two days before it was supposed to
- Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy wed in St. Charles
- Workers hit picket lines at Des Plaines business
- Naperville church offers spaces 'for sake of our community'
- Cops: Beer cans found near where boy hit by train
- Football Focus: Week 2 Preview
- SHIPPING / RECEIVING - Shipping / Receiving PT, M-F 3p-7p. Weigh parts -write orders. Also Shop/Back-up driver. 4a-12:30p Apply at 106 Chancellor Dr., Roselle,IL or call 630-893-9204 (id:4384648) COUNTERTOP/PREMIUM SURFACE FABRICATOR - Immediate positions for Fabricators : No experience necessary. Apply at:Gerali Custom Design, Inc., 1482 Sheldon Dr., Elgin, IL 60120. (id:4384844) HEALTHCARE - NURSE ASSISTANTS - Health Care Substitute Nurses/ Nurse Assistants NSSEO, a public school special education district is accepting application for Substitute Nurses (RN) and substitute Nurse Assistants (RN or LPN). Must be able to lift and position students 30 -80 lbs. Gastric tube feedings, Naso-tracheo suctioning , medication administration, assisting and implementing health care and emergency health plans when needed. Apply online at www.nsseo.org. EOE (id:4384424)
- SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS - NOW HIRING SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS -No experience necessary -Training Provided -Part-time morning and afternoon hours -Bring your child to work Starting wage for new drivers beginning 9/1/14 -$14.70 $1,000 SIGN-ON-BONUS for fully licensed CDL drivers w/ "SBP" Endorsement Apply online at: www.durhamschoolservices.com Or in person: 880 South Route 83 Grayslake, IL 60030 847-543-9244 EOE (id:4384772) JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Open House Career Fair Walk-ins welcome Mariano's - Glenview Hiring Center 8930 Waukegan Rd., Suite 230 Saturday, September 6th 9am to 1pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR NEW GLENVIEW STORE We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please ap-ply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk. Please contact Glenview.Marianos@gmail.com with any questions. Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4384312) ATTORNEY - Attorney Established Wheaton Law Firm seeks attorney with 3-5 years of family/transactional law experience, personal injury a plus. Submit resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. (id:4384425)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.