Daily Herald's print edition.
Articles filed under Mitt Romney
Nature slams campaigns into real world Oct 30, 2012 12:00 AM
Suddenly, after drifting through months of confusing finger-pointing and iffy economic theory, the presidential candidates are getting walloped by an all-too-tangible October surprise. Superstorm Sandy is a real-world, gut-level test. "It's sort of like Mother Nature is intervening and calling a timeout," said historian and presidential biographer Douglas Brinkley.
Romney China-made Jeep comments become Ohio campaign issue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 AM
Mitt Romney’s focus on Chrysler Group LLC’s desire to build some Jeeps in China has spawned a TV ad battle in Ohio, where the Republican presidential candidate and President Barack Obama are trying to attract car-minded voters with a week to go until Election Day.
Sandy upends final week of presidential race Oct 30, 2012 12:00 AM
Superstorm Sandy’s mayhem is upending the final week of the presidential race, with President Barack Obama calling off another of the waning days left to campaign and Republican Mitt Romney struggling to strike the right tone.
A week to go: Sandy disrupts presidential campaign Oct 29, 2012 12:00 AM
Eight days before the election, President Barack Obama switched from campaigner to hands-on commander of the federal response to Superstorm Sandy as it barreled across the Eastern Seaboard. Republican Mitt Romney scaled back his appearances and urged supporters to "do your very best" in donating to relief efforts.
Advantage Obama in hunt for 270 electoral votes Oct 28, 2012 12:00 AM
President Barack Obama is poised to eke out a victory in the race for the 270 electoral votes needed to win re-election, having beaten back Republican Mitt Romney’s attempts to convert momentum from the debates into support in all-important Ohio, according to an Associated Press analysis a week before Election Day.
Endorsement: The case for Mitt Romney for presidentOct 28, 2012 12:00 AM
The Daily Herald endorses Mitt Romney for president, breaking with Barack Obama who received its endorsement four years ago with the argument that only a moderate, bipartisan approach will meet the country's profound economic challenges. Romney, unlike Obama, understands that business creates jobs, not governments, the newspaper editorial argues.
Hurricane Sandy upsets candidates’ campaign plans Oct 28, 2012 12:00 AM
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama frantically sought to close the deal with voters with precious few days left in an incredibly close race as this year’s October surprise — an unprecedented storm menacing the East Coast — wreaked havoc on their best-laid plans.
Campaigns deploy radio ads to gin up base voters Oct 26, 2012 12:00 AM
Radio ads, an important component of a presidential candidate's media strategy, are bombarding voters in battleground states much the way such political commercials swamp television.
Star-powered political rallies get party started Oct 26, 2012 12:00 AM
Baseball great Hank Aaron is a Barack Obama guy. Golf legend Jack Nicklaus is in Mitt Romney's camp. From athletes and astronauts to singers and Hollywood stars, a growing line of celebrities is turning up at fancy dinners and rallies to build support and get out the vote for Obama or Romney, the president's Republican challenger.
Romney closing argument focuses on the economy Oct 26, 2012 12:00 AM
Mitt Romney is trying to close the deal with voters by focusing on their economic concerns, an area where polling shows the Republican nominee has an edge heading into the final days of the campaign. As President Barack Obama takes a break from the campaign trail, Romney was to deliver what his campaign billed as a significant economic address in swing state Iowa.
Obama assails Romney in bid for women’s vote Oct 25, 2012 12:00 AM
Seeking to shore up his support among women voters, President Barack Obama on Thursday hammered Republican rival Mitt Romney anew over his backing of Richard Mourdock, the Indiana Senate candidate drawing fire for saying that pregnancies that result from rape are "something God intended."
Guns, climate, gays missing in presidential race Oct 25, 2012 12:00 AM
Of the roughly 50,000 words spoken in this month's three presidential debates, none were "climate change," "global warming" or "greenhouse gas." Housing was discussed in the first debate, but the word "foreclosure" was mentioned in none. Nor was gay marriage. The 2012 presidential campaign, not just the debates, has focused heavily from the start on jobs, pushing other once high-profile issues to the sidelines.
Presidential election to pass $2 billion fundraising mark Oct 25, 2012 12:00 AM
The 2012 presidential campaign was expected Thursday to pass the $2 billion mark in fundraising, according to accounting statements submitted to the government, thanks to an outpouring of cash from both ordinary citizens and the wealthiest Americans hoping to influence the selection of the country’s next leader.
AP poll: Romney erases Obama advantage among women Oct 25, 2012 12:00 AM
What gender gap? Less than two weeks out from Election Day, Republican Mitt Romney has erased President Barack Obama's 16-point advantage among women, a new Associated Press-GfK poll shows. And the president, in turn, has largely eliminated Romney's edge among men.
Swing-state voters hit with mail ad barrage Oct 24, 2012 12:00 AM
Around lunchtime each day, the latest missives promoting or pillorying Democratic President Barack Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney arrive in Diane Ouradnik's mailbox. Before long, they're in her trash. Tearing and tossing has become routine for battleground-state voters drenched in caustic mail ads from the presidential candidates, political parties and their allied groups.
Obama talks 2nd term; Romney zeroes in on economy Oct 24, 2012 12:00 AM
President Barack Obama is confidently predicting speedy second-term agreement with Republicans to reduce federal deficits and overhaul immigration laws, commenting before setting out Wednesday on a 40-hour campaign marathon through battleground states. Republican Mitt Romney looked to the Midwest for a breakthrough in a close race shadowed by a weak economy.
Clint Eastwood stars in TV ad supporting Romney Oct 24, 2012 12:00 AM
Analysis: Calm Romney pins hopes on momentum Oct 23, 2012 12:00 AM
Republican Mitt Romney is acting like a challenger who feels he has enough momentum and time to overtake the president by Election Day, two weeks from now. Judging from Monday’s final debate, President Barack Obama almost seems to agree.
Obama, Romney in final sprint to Election Day Oct 23, 2012 12:00 AM
The endgame at hand, President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney plunged into the final two weeks of an excruciatingly close race for the White House Tuesday with TV advertising nearing an astronomical $1 billion and millions of Americans casting early ballots in all regions of the country.
Final debate: Challenging each other face-to-faceOct 23, 2012 12:00 AM
President Barack Obama sharply challenged Mitt Romney on foreign policy in their final campaign debate Monday night, saying, “Every time you've offered an opinion you've been wrong.” The Republican coolly responded, “Attacking me is not an agenda” for dealing with a dangerous world.
- Snow? Who knows? But the cold is a fact
- Bulls unlikely to land Granger
- Ravina lineup includes Carrie Underwood, James Taylor
- Mount Prospect bakery finds temporary home after fire
- Decade ago, everything seemed ducky for Prior and Cubs
- Glassmann, Fremd make it happen in MSL title game
- Schaumburg gives green light to Zurich American HQ
- Streamwood's Fireside Ale House off to a good start
- Are potholes inevitable, or can we prevent winter misery?
- Dawn Patrol: Lawmakers look at soda tax; Mundelein ready to buy land
- Residents call for Dist. 54 chief's firing after DUI charge
- '3 Days' really two bad movies in one
- Park Ridge boy in Amber Alert found unharmed
- Lake County lawmakers want to dissolve Fox Waterway Agency
- Suburban doctor charged with illegally dispensing OxyContin
- Algonquin man on 'most wanted' list arrested
- Ex-Addison cop facing multiple charges gets $200,000 bond
- Religious leaders unite against graffiti attacks
- Small business owners sound off in Elgin
- Route 137 opening has immediate impact
- Get ready for a huge loss of tax money
- Residents call for Dist. 54 chief's firing after DUI charge
- Lake Park pool push getting mixed reviews
- Duckworth shines bright in first term
- Land of opportunity now of opportunism
- COD trustees reimbursed for driving to meetings
- First concealed carry permits could be issued next week
- Streamwood firehouse reopens 4 years after closing
- Will I-90 tollway project raise water rates?
- Wauconda administrator earns praise
- SAFETY MANAGER - Manufacturing SAFETY MANAGER Butterball LLC is seeking a Safety Manager in our Montgomery IL location. Incumbent will protect the Company's employees and assets against losses, injuries and accidents through enforcement of safe work practices. Direct, implement & oversee the safety, health and key loss prevention programs. Prevents accidents and other safety exposures by developing preventative measures and practices and ensures regulatory compliance by overseeing OSHA, DOT, and other compliance related activities. Will also mitigate risk exposure and process improvements. We requires 7-10 yrs progressive safety related exp/3-5 years mgmt. BA/BS preferably relating to Safety and Health & fluency in all areas of OSHA incl. CFR 1910 and 1928 & legislation affecting these areas. We offer an excellent bene pkg incl life, health, dental, vision, & 401(k) -also a business casual work environment. EOE M/F/D/V. For immediate consideration, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4365657) RESTAURANT - Seasons of Japan Franchise Restaurant Cashier/Food Runner wanted Vernon Hills 847-770-3776 (id:4365900) SR. TAX ANALYST-INTERNATIONAL - Sr. Tax Analyst-International Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. is seeking a Sr. Tax Analyst-International in Deerfield, IL with the following req: Master's degree in Business Administration or Accounting or Taxation or related field plus 3 years related experience including: prepare U.S. international tax compliance reporting for the Company's foreign interests such as completion of Forms 5471, 926 & 1118; calculate Earnings & Profits & foreign tax credit pools for each foreign entity; calculate company's foreign tax credit, including the IRC Section 861 interest expense allocations & stewardship expense allocations; calculate Subpart F amounts for foreign entities. Must possess CPA license. Please submit resume to email@example.com. Subject line must reference #K103081 (id:4366009)
- JDE SYSTEMS ANALYST - COMPUTER-Baxter Healthcare Corporation is seeking a Senior JDE Systems Analyst-Logistics/Transportation/ EDI in Vernon Hills, Illinois with the following requirements: Bachelor degree in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science plus 5 years related experience including: designing and developing mul-tiple enhancements to the JDE logistics; developing and supporting a global MDM system that controls and main-tains master data in JDE and all other intergrated 3rd party systems; gathering requirements, performing feasibility analysis and designing technical solutions for enhancements across various JDE modules; supporting JDE production environment with troubleshooting complex issues and providing solutions for bug fixes and performance & process improvements; developing and testing EDI (810 and 850) transactions sets in JDE to integrate with various third party systems. Qualified applicants can apply directly to the Baxter Website at: www.Baxter.com. Please reference job #65861BR. EOE (id:4365501) CLASS A CDL DRIVER - Full time Class A CDL Truck Driver wanted for over the road deliveries within 300mi. Curtainside trailer experience is preferred. Must have clean driving record. Email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4365671) MEDICAL - Orthopedic Practice in Elgin seeking full time receptionist-assistant position. Duties include receptionist, answering phone, scheduling tests and surgery. Energetic, organized, efficient with excellent customer service skills. Benefits include vacation, health insurance and pension plan. Email resume to: email@example.com or fax to 847 931-5321. (id:4364305)
- JANITORS - Janitors -Part Time M -F 6:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m. Seeking exp'd Janiitors/House- keepers for basic cleaning/jan- itorial duties. Must be reliable & have good working ethic. Email to:firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 708-615-8806. Pls apply 8a-3p, M-F at The Custom Companies, Inc. 317 W. Lake St., Northlake, IL, 61064 www.customco.com (id:4366047) SERVICE PLUMBER - SERVICE PLUMBER Industry leading plumbing contractor seeks 1-2 good men to add to our growing Service Dept. Competitive salary/benefits. Never on call. 4 YEARS EXP. as a LEAD MAN absolutely necessary. Jon 847-PLUMBER email: J_romano@jsplumb.com (id:4365760) ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN - JOB FAIR! We are currently hiring for 20+ full time positions for immediate hire! Open Positions: Electronics Technician: No Experience Necessary Customer Service Representatives Purchasing Agents Data Entry Agents Shipping and Receiving Clerks Inventory Clerks To Lerrn more please join us for our Job Fair at the Holiday Inn! Date: 2-17-2014 Time: 6pm to 9pm Where: Holiday Inn 1000 Busse Rd Elk Grove, IL 60007 Date:2-20-2014 Time: 11am to 2pm Where: Holiday Inn 1000 Busse Rd Elk Grove, IL 60007 (id:4365017)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.