Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Mauer, Don
Lean and lovin’ it: Foods to eat for health and happiness Jun 6, 2012 2:51 PM
Is our modern American diet to blame for the doubling of obesity and depression rates over the last 20 years? It sure is, say Tyler Graham and Drew Ramsey. Graham, a leading health and fitness editor, and Ramsey, clinical psychiatrist make their case in "The Happiness Diet" (2011 Rodale, $25.99).
Reducing fructose intake can lead to better health May 9, 2012 4:17 PM
As a nation, we now consume an average of 130 pounds of sugars a year. Over the years, our granulated sugar consumption has gone down, but before you start cheering, over that same time our consumption of high fructose corn syrup shot through the roof.
Don Mauer likes what he sees in the lastest ‘Volumetrics’ book Apr 25, 2012 3:48 PM
If you just realized that swimsuit season will be here faster than you’re ready for and you’re looking for a safe, weight-loss plan to help you shed some winter pounds, you’ll be pleased learn that “The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet — Smart, Simple, Science-based Strategies for Losing Weight and Keeping It Off” just hit the shelves.
Where, and why to look for trans fats Mar 28, 2012 3:28 PM
Partially hydrogenated fat isnt just fat, its trans fat. So how can some products contain that and stil be labeled fat and trans fat free? Turns out, theres a loophole that many products slip right through.
Mayo Clinic book full of advice, recipes for diabetics Mar 12, 2012 12:06 PM
I am neither diabetic nor pre-diabetic, but if I were I'd quickly turn to certified authorities for the best advice on what lifestyle changes would keep me from either becoming diabetic, or help me to manage my diabetes; tough beating the world-renowned Mayo Clinic for solid guidance.
Applesauce beats out bananas, prune puree as fat substitute Feb 28, 2012 2:30 PM
For trimming fat from muffins, quick breads, cakes and brownies, Eat Right, Live Well columnist Toby Smithson recently recommended fruit purees, such as apple (as in sauce), bananas, peaches or prunes. Certainly valid, but a method that I’d like to shed more light on. Fiber is the reason pureed fruit is considered a fat substitute.
What you need to ‘Unjunk Your Junk Food' Feb 15, 2012 6:00 AM
Do you think your favorite junk food can be un-junked? Authors Andrea Donsky and Randy Boyer, founders of naturallysavvy.com, believe it can be done and they've written “Unjunk Your Junk Food” to prove it.
Lean and lovin’ it: Don Mauer maps diet menu traps for Valentine’s Day dinner Feb 1, 2012 6:00 AM
With Valentine’s Day coming up you may be considering heading out for a romantic dinner with your sweetie. Don Mauer explains how you can skirt major dangers that can quickly send you down a path you’ve been carefully avoiding this year and end Valentine’s Day with a smile and your scale’s numbers right where you want them.
Weight-loss cookbook for carb lovers Jan 18, 2012 1:29 PM
Last summer I wrote about Health magazine's newest book, “The CarbLovers Diet.” “A carb packed food plan to lose weight?” I wrote. “You've got to be kidding.” My skepticism melted away when I learned about resistant starch (a unique carbohydrate and the key to the diet's success) and how it helps satisfy your appetite and keep it satisfied. That book topped The New York Times best-seller list for two months.
Follow Don's tip for successful weight loss Jan 4, 2012 5:49 PM
Studies show that the faster you lose it, the more likely you are to gain it back. Check in with some of TV's “Biggest Losers” after a year and you'll learn the reality of fast weight loss: speedy weight gain. If you want don't want to fall into weight-loss, weight-gain cycle, follow Don Mauer's seven tips gleaned from his two decades of weight loss and maintenance.
Continuing grandmother's tradition of home-baked gifts Dec 26, 2011 10:36 AM
Holidays, food and families have been woven together, like braids on a challah loaf or strands of colored beads on a Christmas tree, since time now forgotten and continues to be true for me. When I was a kid, the parade of holidays always stepped-off with Thanksgiving and since my folks couldn't decide whether we should be with Mom's family or dad's folks we settled on being with both. This didn't happen just once, but for many years. If you ever wondered how I got to be more than 300 pounds, knowing just that bit of holiday history should be enlightening.
Don Mauer shares ideas for holiday gift giving Dec 7, 2011 4:01 PM
Strolling through a store’s cookware department presents so many choices that finding a gift for your favorite cook isn’t so simple. There are plenty of expensive kitchen gadgets (panini presses come to mind), but how much a gift costs and how fancy it is doesn’t mean it’ll get much past its first “Wow” before turning into a dust-collector. So this year, let’s focus on kitchen tools or ingredients less than $25. Each item listed is a favored go-to tool or ingredient that passed my “what did I ever do without this?” test.
Trimming the fat from the Tday trimmings Nov 21, 2011 3:21 PM
The “T” in my Thanksgiving stands for turkey. Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same without a golden, roasted bird on the table. No Tofurkey (turkey roll made from soybeans) on my dinner table. More often than not that turkey, whether a whole bird or just the breast, has been brined. I still believe brining — submerging it overnight in a solution of water or beer or wine, salt, sugar and seasonings — results in the tastiest, most tender and moistest turkey you'll ever eat.
Consider celeriac for fall flavor Nov 9, 2011 6:00 AM
There's one fall vegetable in your supermarket's produce section that's definitely been hit by the ugly stick: celery root, also called celeriac (seh-LER-ee-ak). For years I scooted-by that gnarly, green-spiked, scraggly-rooted vegetable not really knowing for what it was good or how to prepare one.
Try pumpkin cookies for a Halloween treat Oct 25, 2011 6:00 AM
Since I'm a lousy pumpkin carver, I started considering all the delicious ways pumpkin can be prepared and eaten: pie, soup, ice cream, turned into cheesecake, cookies, cupcakes and even mousse. After sampling many of those variations, pumpkin cookies stood out as the least successful, thanks to their frequent flat flavor notes and cake-like texture.
Seven lessons for successful long-term weight loss Oct 13, 2011 1:53 PM
In 1992, when my first column appeared, I didn't project this far into the future; but here it is over 800 columns later. Times have changed. In 1992 I believed that I could lose weight and keep it off, just by keeping fats in my food plan to a minimum. Since it was fat free, sugar seemed to be a non-issue. Today I know better. Here are some other lessons I've learned over the years.
Decoding poultry labels Sep 28, 2011 5:00 PM
Ever wonder what a chicken package label that reads “No Retained Water” means? Been befuddled by trying to figure out the difference between “No Antibiotics Added” and “Raised Without Antibiotics”? Confused by a poultry label that reads: “All Natural — Minimally Processed”? Labels like those confuse me too, so I decided to do some research at the food labeling source the: US Department of Agriculture.
Learn what’s what in added sugar Sep 19, 2011 10:22 AM
Want to avoid foods with a lot of added sugar? Finding added sugar isn't always as easy as looking for "sugar" on the product's food label.
Reader recipe makeover: Banana bread Aug 31, 2011 12:14 PM
Mary Holda of Elk Grove Village proposed challenge I couldn’t walk away from: remake her family’s favorite streusel-topped banana bread. “We love it, but I wondered if I could cut some fat (butter or sugar),” Mary wrote in an email. I put on my leanwizard’s cap and headed to the kitchen to see what magic I could conjure up for Mary.
Worst fast food meals pack a wallop of fat, sugar and salt Aug 23, 2011 12:55 AM
What’s the worst restaurant meal in America? According to Eat This, Not That’s website, a Carl’s Jr. Six Dollar Guacamole Bacon Burger with Medium Natural Cut Fries and a 32-ounce cola.
- Tollway sets higher speed limits, bucks state law
- Budget fix averts shutdowns but cuts schools
- Utility: Inspectors found faulty work before NYC blast
- Ex-SEAL brings military training technology to firing range
- Aurora soldier and his cousin accused in terrorist plot
- Priest helps heroin addicts heal 'hole in the soul'
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Dan Bailey: Candidate Profile
- Why man is still paying for a 2004 speeding ticket
- Police: Man charged with DUI had 3 kids in car
- Earthquake reported west of Lake in the Hills
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Why gas prices are rising in the suburbs
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- Aurora soldier and his cousin accused in terrorist plot
- Dawn Patrol: Quake near Lake in the Hills; student brings BB gun to school
- Volo woman charged after bank robbery in Grayslake
- Parents: We shouldn't need permission to skip school testing
- Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to 'destroy' the plane
- Report: Walgreens employees to stop saying 'Be well'
- CLEANING - CLEANING HOMES must have DL & speak Eng. $10-14 + bnfts. Call McMaid Rolling Mdws: 847-991-2383 Dwnrs Grv: 630-515-8800 Wauconda: 847-526-4447 (id:4402019) LABORER & CDL DRIVER - Joe Meyer Tree Service Inc. of Spring Grove, IL is now hiring experienced help. The positions include competive wages, health insurance & retirement package. CDL is a plus. Providing quality tree care for 51 years. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-587-0593 (id:4401689) BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: email@example.com. (id:4401929)
- PROGRAMMER ANALYST - Programmer Analyst eTek IT Services Inc has j/o's for Programmer Analyst. Jobs loc in Schaumburg, IL & var unanticip locs t/o the US. Cnvrt proj specs & statemnts of probs & procdrs to dtaild logcl flow charts for coding into comp lnguge. Dvlp & write comp progs to store, loc, & retrve spcfc docs, data, & info. Rsrch, anlyz & dtrmne info needs & dataflw reqmnts. Req exp w/ IBM Information Server, DataStage, & MS Visio. Trvl/reloc to var unanticip locs t/o the US for LT/ST asgnmnts at clt sites. Req: MS or frgn equiv in Comp Sci, Engg (any), or rel & 6 mos. of exp in the job/off or as a Comp S/W Profl. Mail res w/cvr ltr: eTek IT Services Inc PO Box 59058 Schaumburg, IL 60159 Job 14ETI02 EOE (id:4401632) AUTO SALES - Auto AUTO SALES -HIRING EVENT - Bob Rohrman Auto Group Schaumburg, IL This hiring event is for all 15 Chicagoland locations in the Bob Rohrman Auto Group! We have locations in Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Libertyville, Gurnee, Oakbrook, Kenosha, WI and Chesterton, IN. Start Your New Career...No Experience Needed...We Will Train You the Right Way to Sell Cars! The BOB ROHRMAN AUTO GROUP is not only the Midwest's #1 volume family-owned auto group, we're also an industry leader in ethical sales. We're looking for 10 to 20 good men & women to join our staff of sales professionals. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a positive, family-oriented dealership that does things the RIGHT WAY! As a result of continued rapid growth, The Bob Rohrman Auto Group is currently hiring multiple sales consultants at multiple locations. If you are selected WE OFFER: FREE 3-day training class at Rohrman University Our best sales associates make well over $100,000 per year. Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Etc. Career advancement op- portunities to management Excellent floor traffic, in- ventory & a great reputation in the community! We require of our sale team: Professional appearance with good communication skills. If you are bilingual that is a real advantage. Must have integrity, with a positive attitude & a strong work ethic Willing to learn & be recep- tive to new ideas You must be a team player We are a drug-free, equal opportunity employer Valid drivers license -Interviews: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2pm to 6pm Interviews held at: -ROHRMAN UNIVERSITY 1225 N Plum Grove Rd Schaumburg, IL 60173. Behind Red Lobster and across fromSchaumburg Honda. No appointment necessary but if you need to schedule a specific time contact: JR Rohrman, 1-269-591-2223, Please dress professionally for your interview (id:4402016) RESTAURANT - Restaurant -Ditka's in Arlington Heights is now hiring for ALL POSITIONS for both AM and PM shifts -servers, ser-ver assistants, food runners, bartenders, bar backs, hosts, line cooks, prep team, and dishwashers. Please apply in person between the hours of 2pm and 4pm. 2000 West Euclid Ave. (id:4401722)
- IT AUDITOR - IT Auditor -Ingredion Inc (Westchester, IL): Perform integrated IT audit procedures, incl identifying & defining issues, dvlpg criteria, reviewing & analyzing evidence, & documenting bus. processes & procedures. Participate in finl audit planning & finl audit prog dvlpmt impacted by IT controls. Eval. adequacy & effectiveness of controls rel. to IT governance, app syss & interfaces, dvlpmt & implementation, logical access & IT data center ops. Determine operational status of IT controls, compliance w/ company policies, standards, procedures, & applicable statutes & govt regs. Comm results of audit projects via written & oral presentations to mgmt. Resp for prep written audit reports for all levels of mgmt, detailing audit findings, conclusions, & agreed-upon corrective actions. Prep audit work papers & flowcharts in order to doc & sppt audit findings & conclusions. Identify improvement oppties & dvlpmt of action plans to enhance bus. process & IT syss integration. Resp for identifying & eval. orgs risk areas & provide input to dvlpmt of Audit Plan, which entails examining, analyzing & interpreting acctg recs such as journal entries & master data. Dvlp working relationships w/ internal stake- holders & global Internal Audit team members to deliver results, support bus. performance, & advice on syss of recording costs & IT-rel. budget data. Min Reqts: Bach in CS, Bus. Admin, Acctg or rel., plus 2 yrs IT Audit exp in public acctg &/or internal audit. Must incl exp in perform- ing data analyses of complex bus. data, auditing SAP Apps & Basis controls (e.g., FI, CO, MM & SD modules) & auditing IT infrastructure controls rel. to dbase & operating syss. Exp reqd in integrated IT/Bus. risk & control concepts rel. to SAP App Controls, Syss Dvlpmt Life Cycle (SDLC), Cloud Computing & IT General Controls. 30% travel reqd to attend trade shows, conferences, trainings, & client sites. Pls send resume to: Krsto (Kris) Nisavic, HR, Ingredion, Inc. 5 Westbrook Corporate Ctr, Westchester, IL 60154. Must specify job code Ing1-2015. EOE, MFDV. (id:4401793) DRIVERS - Drivers Se solicitan conductores Quality Carriers, la lnea de camiones cisterna No. 1 en EEUU est buscando conductores con licencia CDL-A con disponibilidad inmediata. Quality Carriers tiene ms de 100 aos de existencia, y cuenta con 100 terminales. Solicite hoy y compruebe la diferencia que Quality puede hacer en su vida! $5000 de Bono de Contratacin para Operadores Propietarios! $1000 de Bono de Contratacin para Conductores de la Compaa Hay Puestos para Conduccin en Carretera y Local Disponibles Ahora Solictud Sencilla en www.work4qc.com. Llame a Ken hoy 1-708-457-7600 Ofrecemos: Paga Mxima y Beneficios Equipo con Modelos Actuales Horario Regular Trabajo estable todo el ao Estndares de Seguridad Lderes en la Industria Disponibilidad de paquete completo de beneficios Para Calificar: Registro de Vehculos de Motor Limpio 22 aos o mayor Avalado por Hazmat o Tanker Habilidad de obtener la tarjeta TWIC 1 ao de experiencia en TT TANKER TOUGH Call 1-708-457-7600 (id:4400963) ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - West Chicago office looking for a full time person to perform credit, collection, and light data entry duties. $14 to $16 per hour plus full benefits. Email replies to firstname.lastname@example.org. (id:4402421)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.