Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Mauer, Don
Lean and lovin’ it: ‘Deliciously Ella’ finds audience for healthy recipes on the Internet Mar 25, 2015 3:31 PM
Today’s generation of young cookbook authors embrace all the new media and technology that some of us are still trying to figure out and they’re doing it in fun ways. Take “Deliciously Ella” by Ella Woodward (Scribner, 2015).
Lean and lovin' it: Bacon-braised cabbage beefs up St. Patrick's Day dinner Mar 10, 2015 6:00 AM
Don Mauer loves good corned beef, but doesn't always have time to corn his own brisket. So he's learned how to make perfect corned beef from a store-bought corned brisket. He also shares a recipe for bacon-braised cabbage and has a potato suggestion for rounding out the St. Patrick's Day meal.
Lean and lovin’ it: Low-carb almond flour puts pizza back on the menu Feb 24, 2015 6:00 AM
Kicking refined sugars and carbos from your diet doesn't have to mean kicking pizza to the curb. Don Mauer learned how to make pizza crust using almond meal (ground blanched almonds) which, although higher in fat than wheat flour (14 grams versus 0.5 grams per ¼-cup) and higher in calories (160 versus 102) was way lower in carbs (6 grams versus 22). Plus, almond flour delivers almost twice as much protein (48 grams versus 26).
Lean and Lovin’ it: Tempt your valentine with guilt-less brownies Feb 12, 2015 7:19 AM
So you know that fat doesn’t make people fat, sugar does. But does that mean you have to waved goodbye to the many delcious low-fat desserts in your recipe files? Not just yet. Don Mauer reworked his Double Chocolate Chip Fudge Brownies into a no-added-sugars dessert that's a sweet treat for Valentine's Day, or any other day of the week.
Lean and Lovin’ it: Is a grain-free diet a path to better health? Jan 28, 2015 6:36 AM
Carrie Vitt shares an inspirational story, intimate portrait of her family and solid recipes in a new book, “The Grain-Free Family Table” (2014 William Morrow, $29.99). She tells readers how to revamp their pantries with healthy ingredients that make meal prep easier and can reduce dependency on prescription drugs.
Lean and lovin it: Homemade chocolate fits into a healthy eating plan Jan 13, 2015 2:41 PM
Over the years, Don Mauer has learned that if he cuts a food out of his food plan forever, he craves it. Chocolate included. After giving it some thought, he realized he could make a chocolate bar using organic cocoa powder, organic coconut oil or cocoa butter, vanilla and stevia, a natural calorie-free sugar substitute that would fit into a healthy eating plan.
Lean and lovin it: Don Mauer recommends books for cooks Dec 9, 2014 6:19 AM
Thinking about what to give someone who loves to cook this holiday season? Look no further. Don Mauer says Mark Bittman's “How to Cook Everything Fast: A Better Way to Cook Great Food” should be under tree, as should "The Skinnytaste Cookbook" by Gina Homolka.
Lean and lovin' it: Making the case for heritage turkey Nov 12, 2014 6:00 AM
If you're considering a heritage turkey for this year's feast, Don Mauer wants you to know a few things. One: once on the edge of extinction there are about 25,000 birds. Two: they're expensive. Three: the flavor and texture are superior to traditional birds.
Lean and lovin’ it: ATK cookbooks help slow cooker novices get into the groove Oct 21, 2014 6:00 AM
Don Mauer says he launched his slow cooker adventure without a cookbook as a compass for guidance. To make future slow cooking forays easier he sought out a reliable cookbook that could make my slow-cooking learning path less bumpy. He found the "Slow Cooker Revolution" books by the people at American Test Kitchen.
Lean and Lovin’ it: Don Mauer reflects on two decades of advice, looks forward to healthier recipes Oct 8, 2014 6:01 AM
Don Mauer marks 22 years as the Daily Herald's Lean and Lovin' it columnist. He shares lessons learned over those two decades and how he plans to move forward.
Lean and lovin’ it: Don catches up with the slow cooker revolution Sep 24, 2014 5:51 AM
It took him a few decades, but Don Mauer has learned to embrace slow cookers. He takes us on his inagural experience and shares a hearty beef stew recipe.
Lean and Lovin’ it: Delicious pasta swap for homemade Bolognese Sep 9, 2014 5:45 AM
Don Mauer has loved pasta since his first serving of mac and cheese. But that love affair has been on hold for a bit since he's been avoiding sugars and refined carbs and ... well ... macaroni’s a refined carb. He recently learned of a carb-free spaghetti substitute that goes well with his homemade Bolognese.
Lean and lovin’ it: Learning to recognize, curb sugar addiction Aug 26, 2014 5:55 AM
Eve O. Schaub's ode to sugar sounds dangerously close to an addiction, and perhaps there’s more truth in that than any of us would like. Don Mauer takes a look inside her book and the role of sugar in our diets.
Lean and lovin’ it: Everyone loses (weight, that is!) when fats go back into their diet Aug 12, 2014 11:30 AM
Don Mauer hasn't stopped thinking about "The Big Fat Surprise" and the conclusions author Nina Teicholz drew: that low-fat diets triggered Americans’ hefty weight gain over the last 20 years; saturated fat consumption does not cause heart disease; and that reducing cholesterol levels has a minimal effect on heart disease and lower cholesterol levels could raise risk factors for other diseases. In the past two months, he's taken her advice to heart and has seen the scale trend downward.
Lean and lovin’ it: Fat does not make us fat. Really. Jul 23, 2014 5:30 AM
It’s all been a big fat, supersized lie. And what bother’s Don Mauer most is that he helped perpetuate it. New research shows that saturated fats might not be unhealthy and fat does not makes you fat.
Lean and lovin’ it: Swiss chard’s nutrition hard to beat Jul 8, 2014 6:30 AM
Swiss chard is one of the 10 best foods we aren’t eating, according to Men's Health magazine. And Don Mauer was in that group until bunches of chard showed up in his CSA box the other week. Turns out few vegetables deliver the carotenoid wallop that one cup of fresh, uncooked Swiss chard does. That's a good thing, and so is the fettuccine and chard recipe he shares.
Lean and lovin’ it: CSA puts fresh surprise in every box Jun 25, 2014 5:45 AM
Don Mauer joined a community supported agriculture service this spring and loves the challenge of using up the close-to-organic fruits and vegetables. See what he does when confronted by a box full of zucchini.
Lean and lovin’ it: Celebrate eggs and the many ways to cook them Jun 11, 2014 6:03 AM
Don Mauer dives into Michael Ruhlman’s new book “Egg: A Culinary Exploration of the World’s Most Versatile Ingredient.” (Little Brown, 2014) He says it's egg-actly the book you need to learn about cooking eggs. While seemingly simple — it’s just a yolk and a white — an egg can be made and used in more ways than you might think.
Lean and lovin’ it: Don’s tips for safe, healthful summer grilling May 29, 2014 6:19 AM
When Don Mauer started cleaning his grill in preparation for regular summer use, he started thinking about the history of backyard grills. Believe it or not, your Chicago area backyard’s the epicenter for the creation of backyard barbecue grills.
Lean and lovin’ it: Changes coming to FDA nutrition labels May 14, 2014 5:30 AM
Don Mauer weighs in on the proposed changes to the FDA nutrition labels. Is adding "added sugars" and vitamin D a good thing?
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Bulls thriving after being spurned by Melo
- PM&L Theatre plans expansion in downtown Antioch
- Cardinal in hospital for pain, 'hydration issues'
- Batavia, Kaneland, Geneva school candidates' views on campaign contributions
- What you don't know about Internet algorithms is hurting you
- Endorsement: Burke, Hartogh, Morris for Island Lake Village Board
- Softball scoreboard: Thursday's results
- Pamela Voorhees: Candidate Profile
- Seventh-seed Dayton beats Louisville 82-66
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- Tollway sets higher speed limits, bucks state law
- Snow leads to slick roads, accidents in the suburbs
- Budget fix averts shutdowns but cuts schools
- Why man is still paying for a 2004 speeding ticket
- Aurora cousins accused of plotting to bring 'flames of war' to suburbs
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Schaumburg donor drive seeks match for nurse
- Volo woman charged after bank robbery in Grayslake
- Obama talks drug war with 'The Wire' creator David Simon
- Change in constitution is only permanent solution to pension crisis
- Endorsement: Our choices for the College of DuPage board
- Promapalooza in Lombard offers 'one-stop shop'
- Charges yet to be filed in fatal hospital stabbing
- Judson kicks off new inspirational world leaders series this fall
- Prosecutor: Family heard murder victim's screams
- South Elgin man's unique relic of Iwo Jima
- Signing Ball gives Bears depth at cornerback
- The sex discrimination trial that rocked Silicon Valley. What you need to know.
- Five injured in West Chicago crash
- BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: email@example.com. (id:4401929) BINDERY OPERATOR - Arlington Heights manufacturer is looking for a full time second shift bindery operator. Should have experience using guillotine cutters, collators, and stitchers. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4402022) QUALITY CONTROL INSPECTOR - Quality Control Inspector 2nd Shift 2:00pm-11:00pm Aerospace Manufacturing Duties: CMM experience, ability to perform dimensional inspection of complex machined parts experience with setting up and using bore gages. Benefits: Shift Premium, 401K, Blue Cross Health Insurance Send Resume Fax: 847 439 0230 or email resume PamS@ajrindustries.com See web site for more information at www.ajrindustries.com (id:4400160)
- ACCOUNTING/ADMIN CLERK - Acctg/Admin Clerk -Arl Hts Co seeks team player for A/R, A/P, inv, phone/admin functions. 5 hrs/day. Good salary. Email resume & salary history to email@example.com (id:4401881) ASSEMBLER - Job Fair Juno Lighting Group Saturday, March 28, 2015 From 9:00am to 1:00pm Des Plaines, IL Assemblers Hiring for full time, M-F. First and Second shift. Juno Lighting, leader in the design and manufacturing of lighting fixtures in the residential and commercial market, is looking for assemblers. This job requires performing basic, repetitive light assembly of quality company products, using tools that include: electric, manual, mechanical, automatic, semi-automatic and/or pneumatic machines and tools. Assemble boxes and pack final product for shipment. It pays $9.00/hr. Union membership after 60 days. Good Benefits. We are located at 1300 S Wolf Road Des Plaines, (Please access the building through Algonquin Road,) You must be at least 18 years of age to apply (EEO Disclosure) (id:4402008) RN/LPN FULL TIME AND PART-TIME RECEPTIO - Ortho. offiice in Arlington Heights seeking receptionist-MA (20-30 hrs) and full time office nurse. Orthopedic experience preferred but not required. Email resume firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (847) 593-0872 (id:4402502)
- DRIVERS - Drivers Se solicitan conductores Quality Carriers, la lnea de camiones cisterna No. 1 en EEUU est buscando conductores con licencia CDL-A con disponibilidad inmediata. Quality Carriers tiene ms de 100 aos de existencia, y cuenta con 100 terminales. Solicite hoy y compruebe la diferencia que Quality puede hacer en su vida! $5000 de Bono de Contratacin para Operadores Propietarios! $1000 de Bono de Contratacin para Conductores de la Compaa Hay Puestos para Conduccin en Carretera y Local Disponibles Ahora Solictud Sencilla en www.work4qc.com. Llame a Ken hoy 1-708-457-7600 Ofrecemos: Paga Mxima y Beneficios Equipo con Modelos Actuales Horario Regular Trabajo estable todo el ao Estndares de Seguridad Lderes en la Industria Disponibilidad de paquete completo de beneficios Para Calificar: Registro de Vehculos de Motor Limpio 22 aos o mayor Avalado por Hazmat o Tanker Habilidad de obtener la tarjeta TWIC 1 ao de experiencia en TT TANKER TOUGH Call 1-708-457-7600 (id:4400963) PAYROLL - Payroll -NSSEO, a special education public school district, has an immediate FT Payroll Officer position available in Mt. Prospect. Responsibilities include processing payroll for 400+ employees & being a key liaison between HR, Business & outside service providers. Ideal candidate will possess a strong payroll or accounting background with exceptional Excel skills & customer service driven attitude. Exp. with AS400 or Infinite Visions a plus. Competitive salary & benefit package starting at $24.19/hr. Apply online at www.nsseo.org. EOE (id:4401863) HUNTLEY FIREFIGHTER - is accepting applications for FIREFIGHTERS Application Deadline: 4pm. on 4-27-15 Application Fee: $30 Entry-Level and Subjective Written Exam: 9am, 5-16-15, Huntley HS Contact: IOS Recruitment Recruitment.iosolutions.org 800-343-HIRE email@example.com (id:4402403)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.