Activate Your Free
Articles filed under MLB
Rongey: Never fun to see baseball season end Sep 22, 2014 1:07 PM
For a team like the White Sox that will miss the postseason for the sixth straight year, Chris Rongey says he understands why some fans welcome a merciful end to the season. He doesn't feel the same way, though.
Kasper: MVP should go to Kershaw Sep 22, 2014 4:43 PM
The National League Most Valuable Player race seems to be a three-man ballgame with Giancarlo Stanton, reigning MVP Andrew McCutchen and pitcher Clayton Kershaw at the top of the list. In his Cubs Insider column, Len Kasper explains why Kershaw deserves to win it.
Girardi thinking about Jeter’s home finale Sep 22, 2014 7:43 PM
Joe Girardi already is thinking about how to handle Derek Jeter’s home finale Thursday. Last year, the manager sent Jeter and Andy Pettitte to the mound with two outs in the ninth inning of New York’s last game at Yankee Stadium to remove Mariano Rivera.
Wainwright wins No. 20 as Cardinals beat Cubs Sep 22, 2014 10:10 PM
Last Friday, the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw won his 20th game of the season with a 14-5 victory over the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Monday night, Adam Wainwright came to town and picked up his 20th victory as the St. Louis Cardinals routed the Cubs 8-0.
Frustrating season for Wood ends with another loss Sep 22, 2014 11:03 PM
While St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Adam Wainwright was winning his 20th game of the season Monday night, Cubs lefty Travis Wood was lamenting a poor season. The Cardinals shut out the Cubs 8-0 as Wood fell to 8-13 with a 5.03 ERA.
Baseball looks to speed things up Sep 22, 2014 7:47 PM
Major League Baseball announced Monday it has formed a committee to study ways of speeding up the pace of games. This past weekend, the Cubs played four nine-inning games, with the shortest taking 3 hours, 31 minutes. Daily Herald Cubs writer Bruce Miles says a good start would be enforcing the rules that already exist.
Successful teams need players like Cubs’ Coghlan Sep 21, 2014 7:31 PM
As the Cubs continue to bring young players up through their minor-league system to the big leagues, it will be important to surround them with veteran leaders, writes Daily Herald Cubs writer Bruce Miles. Left fielder Chris Coghlan doesn't consider himself a veteran, but he may end up being one of those leaders.
Imrem: Still some questions about upcoming Wrigley renovations Sep 21, 2014 8:54 PM
Wrigley Field won't be the same Wrigley Field next season. That's OK as long as the makeover plans include creature conveniences for fans as well as cash for the team.
Dodgers hold off Cubs, take three of four Sep 21, 2014 5:13 PM
Once again Sunday, the Cubs made a comeback attempt against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Wrigley Field. Unlike Saturday, when the Cubs rallied for a stirring victory, they fell short Sunday 8-5 and wound up dropping three of four in this series.
Danks, Garcia lead Sox over Rays Sep 21, 2014 4:41 PM
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Avisail Garcia hit two home runs and John Danks took a no-hitter into the sixth inning Sunday as the White Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays 10-5 in the Rays’ home finale. Garcia’s first homer started a four-run second inning against Rays starter Nathan Karns during which Marcus Semien added a three-run homer for a 4-0 Chicago lead. Garcia led off the sixth with his second home run of the game and his seventh of the season, starting a six-run inning that knocked Karns out of the game. The White Sox followed with four more hits, including Alexei Ramirez’s two-run double off reliever Alex Colome. Rookie Jose Abreu drove in Ramirez with a single for his 105th RBI, giving the White Sox a 10-0 lead. Winning for the first time in 10 starts since July 25, Danks (10-11) gave up two runs on two hits in six innings. Brandon Guyer’s double with one out in the sixth was the first hit for Tampa Bay, which finished with its worst home record (36-45) since 2002. Kevin Kiermaier’s ground ball and Wil Myers’ two-out single drove in the Rays’ runs off Danks. Garcia had three of Chicago’s 12 hits while Semien and Jordan Danks had two each. Karns (1-1) gave up six runs in five innings in his second start for the Rays, who will finish their season with six road games. Their 81st loss assured the Rays of a non-winning season for the first time since 2007. TRAINER’S ROOM White Sox: 1B Paul Konerko was out the lineup for the second straight day, but manager Robin Ventura said it is not related to the broken hand that kept him out two weeks. Rays: RHP Brad Boxberger (birth of daughter) and INF Sean Rodriguez (death in family) both rejoined the team. UP NEXT White Sox: RHP Chris Bassitt (0-1) and Detroit LHP Kyle Lobstein (1-0) are the scheduled starters Monday night. ... LHP Chris Sale’s final start will be Wednesday at Detroit. Rays: RHP Alex Cobb (9-8) is the scheduled to face Boston RHP Clay Buchholz (8-9) Tuesday night. Tampa Bay and Boston both will miss the playoffs one year after the Red Sox beat the Rays in the ALDS en route to the 2013 World Series title. “It’s awful for both of us,” Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
Rozner: For Konerko, farewell just about perfect Sep 21, 2014 8:20 AM
Paul Konerko will probably be remembered most for his World Series grand slam, but he could just as easily be remembered as the consummate pro, a class act who cared about representing his uniform and his game at all times, a brilliant hitter who sought perfection at the plate, knowing it was at best fleeting and at worst impossible.
One day Cubs hope to be as batty as the Dodgers Sep 21, 2014 7:34 PM
The Los Angeles Dodgers came to town and scored 37 runs in four games, taking three of those four from the Cubs this past weekend. On Sunday, they beat the Cubs 8-5. Someday soon, the Cubs hope they can field a lineup that's as potent as what the Dodgers have today.
Baez battling through rough start to career Sep 20, 2014 8:44 PM
The Cubs have been steadfast in playing rookie shortstop-second baseman Javier Baez since his call-up from the minor leagues last month. Baez has prodigious power, but he also has a high strikeout rate. The Cubs say the experience he's getting will pay off in the long run.
Key Coghlan homer rallies Cubs past Dodgers Sep 20, 2014 3:54 PM
For the second straight day, the Cubs didn't get much from their starting pitcher, but Chris Coghlan's big day at the plate bailed them out. Coghlan's second homer of the game, a 2-run drive in the eighth inning, helped rally the Cubs past the Dodgers at Wrigley Field.
Rays power past White Sox for 3-1 win Sep 20, 2014 11:13 PM
Chicago managed just two hits against Chris Archer, and White Sox manager Robin Ventura was impressed by the young right-hander. Marcus Semien’s pinch-hit RBI single in the ninth against Jake McGee accounted for Chicago’s only run in a 3-1 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays on Saturday night. Archer (10-8) struck out three and walked four in 6 1-3 innings. The right-hander is 2-0 with a 1.83 ERA in his last three starts. “I think Archer was just so good we didn’t get anything going,” Ventura said. “He throws it hard, he’s got a breaker.”
Coghlan's huge day lifts Cubs Sep 21, 2014 9:48 AM
Chris Coghlan is a long way from his Rookie of the Year season with the Marlins. He's persevered and has been a contributing member of the Cubs this year. His huge day helped them rally Saturday for an improbable 8-7 victory over the Dodgers at Wrigley Field.
Kershaw wins No. 20 as Dodgers rout Cubs Sep 19, 2014 4:59 PM
Los Angeles Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw became the first pitcher in major leagues to reach 20 victories as his team routed the CUbs 14-5 at Wrigley Field. Kershaw lasted just 5 innings, but he got plenty of run support. It was another rough outing for Cubs starter Edwin Jackson, who came off the disabled list but could not get out of the first inning.
‘Exhausted’ Kershaw captures 20th victory Sep 19, 2014 8:39 PM
Cubs pitcher Edwin Jackson would love the kind of non-quality start the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw had Friday. Kershaw lasted "only" 5 innings, but he got plenty of run support as the Dodgers routed the Cubs 14-5 at Wrigley Field. It was Kershaw's 20th win of the season.
White Sox eliminate Rays from playoff contention Sep 19, 2014 11:08 PM
Jose Quintana pitched into the eighth inning and Avisail Garcia had a two-run double to lead the White Sox to a 4-3 victory over Tampa Bay on Friday night, eliminating the Rays from playoff contention. Chicago rookie Jose Abreu also had a run-scoring single during a four-run fifth, giving him 104 RBIs for the season.
Soler continues to impress Sep 19, 2014 8:41 PM
Rookie right fielder Jorge Soler continued his good production for the Cubs in Friday's 14-5 loss to the Dodgers. He had an RBI triple. Manager Rick Renteria cited a mature approach at the plate and Soler's natural talent for the fast start to his major-league career.
- Missing Glen Ellyn woman found safe at restaurant
- Police: Theology student solicited teen for sex online
- Niles man killed in motorcycle crash by Oakton College
- Rozner: Gutsy Bears hang on for win, jump atop North
- Ex-church youth worship leader pleads guilty to sex abuse
- Palatine man charged with public indecency
- Metra report reveals views of patronage allegations
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra considering Naperville for a summer home
- Well-traveled Missavage returns to St. Viator
- Bears win: Take Jets' gifts, launch offense, hold 'em off
- Forecasters: This winter won't be as bad as last year
- Elgin man flees police, crashes into car, pole
- Police: Palatine woman held burglar at gunpoint
- Woman injured after being pinned in car near West Dundee
- Police: Theology student solicited teen for sex online
- Rozner: NHL's next commish could be from Chicago
- Bishop Blase Cupich to lead Archdiocese of Chicago
- Police search for missing autistic woman
- Craig Ferguson plays it loose with new game show
- Dawn Patrol: Hypothermia killed man; woman with autism missing
SOSEScript: most_commented failed executing with the following error:
Error on line 34 position 3: The operation timed out
- JOB FAIR - JOB FAIR Tuesday, 9/23, 9a-4p ASIG O'Hare jobs. FT & PT & Seasonal openings. Valid Driver's license req'd. Immediate interviews. Tues., 9/23, 9a-4p. Westin-O'Hare Airport -6100 N. River Rd. Apply prior to job fair at: www.asig.com/employment EOE M/F/Disability/Vet (id:4386454) PHONE WORK - Telephone Work from your W / NW suburban home for AMVETS 6-8 flex hrs per wk good pay . Call Linda at 847-251-8374 Mon-Fri between 9am -Noon (id:4386136) OFFICE ADMINISTRATION - Office Administration: Wheeling, Illinois Office Products Manufacturer seeks a professional, motivated, very organized self-starter. Great phone & PC skills with Quickbooks, Excel & Word preferred. Salary dependent upon experience. Full time w/benefits. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4386362)
- DRIVER - BUS DRIVER -P/T School term. Must be 21 yrs of age w/good driving rec'd. Illinois CDL lic. w/P & S Endorse. req. Apply online: www.fenton100.org Fenton H.S. EOE/MF (id:4385906) PRESSMAN/BINDERY - PRESS/Bind. Lk Zurich prntr FT open Prsmen-Heid Spdmster-5/C press Bind Oper-MBO flder/cutter Email resume: email@example.com (id:4386569) WAREHOUSE/SHIPPING FOREMAN - Warehouse/Shipping Foreman Growing NW Chicago co. seeks a motivated self-starter with exp. in inventory management and shipping. Must possess prior warehouse management skills and be capable of lifting at least 50 lbs. Purchasing knowledge a plus. Salary dependent upon experience. Full time with benefits. Email firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4386484)
- HEALTH CARE - Hospira, Inc. seeks Medical Director, Specialty Pharmaceutical Clinical Development in Lake Forest, IL. Responsible for utilizng exp leadng multidiscplnry clinicl or medicl teams & servng as principl investigatr overseeng or conductng pharmaceut'l clinicl trial progrms to supervse overall pharmaceut'l drug dvlpmnt clinicl trial expans'n progrm. 40 hrs/wk. Apprx 20% travel. Requires MD, 5 yrs practicl clinicl work exp in criticl care or internl med. Interested applicants: send resume to: email@example.com, reference: REQ#: IL0003. (id:4384816) ACCOUNTING - Accounting Tighe, Kress & Orr, PC (847-695-2700)located in Elgin, IL is looking for staff or senior accountant to perform audits; perform Single Audits (A-133); perform for-profit GOA. Bachelor degree required. If interested, please send resume to:firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4386037) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4385292)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.