Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Lifestyle
Photography exhibit shows suburban railroaders on the jobApr 4, 2014 12:00 AM
A new photography exhibit opening Saturday in the Chicago History Museum features suburban railroaders who helped power a key industry during World War II. For the descendants of the workers, the images fill missing chapters in family history. "I thought, 'Oh my gosh, I see my father in him,'" said Marilyn Theobald, when she studied a photo of her grandad.
Eggs break out, crack the haute cuisine sceneApr 3, 2014 12:00 AM
Don’t tell James Beard Award-winning food writer Michael Ruhlman that eggs are trending. The egg, after all, can be “the height of refinement or the quintessential simple peasant dish. It can be four-star cooking or it can be a last-minute on-the-run lunch,” he says. “What can’t it do?”
American vermouth stirs heated debateApr 3, 2014 12:00 AM
Would a vermouth by any other name sell as sweet? American vermouth producers might start wondering. Some of their products have stirred an international scuffle, raising the question of how much the inclusion of artemisia, a single genus of plant, defines an entire category of fortified wine.
Palatine Resident Places in Major Contests at 19th Yo-Yo & Skill Toys EventApr 3, 2014 12:00 AM
Palatine student places in major Yo-Yo Contest
Chicago chef Paul Kahan prefers to focus on family Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM
Paul Kahan is one of the most award-winning chefs in America, but don't go looking for him on television. In fact, the former computer scientist turned last year's James Beard Award winner for best chef shies away from the spotlight almost entirely. Instead, he chooses to focus on his family and the handful of Chicago restaurants he runs with his partners — nationally known eateries like Blackbird, avec and The Publican.
Wood Dale Cardiac Surgeon Supervises Pound-A-Day Weight Loss Diet!Apr 2, 2014 12:00 AM
Wood Dale Cardiac surgeon supervises new pound a day weight loss diet to prevent heart problems from ever occurring.
Cook of the Week: Kaneland senior shares healthy teen-friendly recipesApr 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Cook of the Week Melissa Cherry has made it her passion to make healthier versions of favorite foods — from stuffed peppers to macaroni and cheese — that still satisfy. “Eating healthy can be intimidating because you'll think I'll only be able to have a smoothie for breakfast, eat a salad for lunch and have a piece of broccoli for dinner. People think it's restrictive,” she said.
Healthy Living Event Scheduled for April 5 in PalatineApr 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Event to include 5K run/walk, 12 mile bike ride, and a free healthy living expo with 25 exhibitors.
Palatine Park District Offers Preschool Open HouseApr 1, 2014 12:00 AM
Open House to be held at all four school locations on April 12.
GARDNERS, SAVE THE DATE!! Mar 31, 2014 12:00 AM
Roselle Garden Club announces its plant sale.
Harper students to get sobering look at impaired drivingMar 31, 2014 12:00 AM
Harper College students will get a lesson in the dangers of impaired driving when the national Save a Life Tour pays a visit to the Student Center on April 2.
Trans Am owner remains attached to 1977 modelMar 31, 2014 12:00 AM
While growing up, Arnie Goldstein didn’t regularly cry over the usual little boy miseries.But his father’s frequent trading of the family car did bring him to tears. Maybe that's why he has held on tight to his 1977 Pontiac Trans Am.
Loreto: Quiet gem on Mexico's Baja PeninsulaMar 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Efforts to turn the seaside village of Loreto, Mexico, into a major destination have been going on for years. So far, though, the results have been limited, and that in itself makes it worth visiting. Loreto is already a gem — a historic town nestled between gold-hued mountains and the blue Sea of Cortez. It's known mainly to whale watchers (late winter), sport fishermen (year-round) and snowbirds who drive down from British Columbia, Canada. Two years ago, Mexico's tourism agency gave Loreto its “Magic Town” moniker, a label to promote places notable for natural beauty, cultural riches or historical relevance.
Clowns gather for contests, latest trends at world conventionMar 28, 2014 12:00 AM
Less is more for today's clowns gathering at a world convention in the suburbs this week. The jokesters embrace the latest — real hair and subtle makeup — in the spirit of competition at the convention in Northbrook. "Clowns like to have fun," said John Joseph, of Arlington Heights. "But if you look at all the people here, you will find that the majority of them are type-A personalities."
Renz Center Supports Alcohol-Free Weekend Mar 28, 2014 12:00 AM
April is National Alcohol Awareness month. Renz Addiction Counseling Center is encouraging residents to participate in a community-wide three day Alcohol-free Weekend April 4-6.
Pi Beta Phi Promotes Literacy in DuPageMar 28, 2014 12:00 AM
Women of the Glen Ellyn – Wheaton Alumnae Club of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity spent the month of March promoting literacy throughout DuPage county.
EXPERT TEACHES DOWNSIZING AT WINDSOR PARK Mar 28, 2014 12:00 AM
Senior living community learns to “rightsize” from downsizing expert.
Area Artists & Craftsartists Invited to Jury to Exhibit in ShowMar 28, 2014 12:00 AM
Area Artists & Craftsartist are invited to jury to participate in Park Rdge May 10 show
Seniors at Oakton Place Stay “Tied In” to Community through Rosary Making Mar 27, 2014 12:00 AM
Seniors at Oakton Place have learned to make rosaries and stay connected to the larger community in the Northwest Suburbs.
Indoor Farmers market this Sunday in Elgin Mar 26, 2014 12:00 AM
All are welcome to browse our fifteenth indoor farmers' market this Sunday from 1 to 3 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Elgin.
- Mom upset over candy, movies at daughter's school
- Coldwater Creek stores to close
- Arlington Heights man sentenced for 6th DUI
- Huntley could become distribution hub for Weber grills
- Rentals, mixed-use projects revive suburban sites
- Chapa LaVia apologizes over racial comments
- Classmate of murder suspect wants to end confusion about names
- Dawn Patrol: 6 years for 6th DUI; good, bad news for Schaumburg dogs
- Help and tears follow story on veterinarian
- No Wing pool, new farm animals in Elgin this summer
- LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE - Moore Landscapes, Inc La compania de Moore Landscapes localisada en Northbrook il esta solicitando trabajadores para los suburbios de Chicago. De preferencia que tengan experiencia. Por fabor llamar a Simon Garcia al (847)774-0753. (id:4368882) BOOKKEEPER WANTED - Bookkeeper Wanted!! Position within insurance related business. Must be proficient with Quickbooks. email: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4369428) CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVES - FMS INVESTMENT CORPORTION Mark your calendars! FMS Investment Corporation (FMS), a subsidiary of CEANNATE Corp. is expanding its operations to 1100 West Lake Cook Rd, Buffalo Grove, IL 60089. With over 31,000 square feet, our Private Services Division is growing and looking to fill 250+ full time positions (entry level and management) in our new state of the art contact center. This is an opportunity to service the leading clients in the Student Loan Receivables industry. If you are looking for a exciting career opportunity and the potential to earn an unlimited income, APPLY NOW and come with your updated resume to our open house from Tuesday, April 8th through Thursday, April 10th between 8am-5pm. Applicants must have at least 2 years of customer service, collections, sales & marketing, or financial services experience and an Associate's Degree or higher. Applicants without an Associate's Degree may substitute relevant work experience. FMS offers competitive starting wages, benefits and an uncapped monthly incentive plan. Training classes are now beginning to form for April and May. For any questions contact us at 888-853-8148 OR apply online at www.ceannate.com/careers CEANNATE Corp. and its subsidiaries are an EOE (id:4370034)
- MACHINE OPERATOR - MACHINE OPERATOR Steel Co in Addison has immed opening for exp CNC/Plasma Burning Machine & Waterjet Ops. or CNC exp. Use of measuring devices needed. Hiring day and night shifts, good pay & benefits. Call #630-627-2900, email: email@example.com or apply at 145 N. Swift Rd. Addison (id:4370645) LIFEGUARD - LIFEGUARDS For condo pools in all sub- urbs. 5/24-9/02. Top pay, Flex Hrs. We train and cert- ify. Apply at 630-529-1117 www.poolwatch.net (id:4370557) DRIVERS - DRIVERS-HOME WEEKLY! Ashley Distribution Services seeks TRUCKLOAD DRIVERS UP to $58-$62K/1st YEAR NO TOUCH DELIVERIESPaid VACA,401k,Med/Life/Drug/Dental!Class A CDL & at least 1 year current OTR exp. Clean MVR/PSP Reports. Call 1-800-837-2241 8AM to 4PM CST for info & app or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.ashleydistributionservices.com to apply under jobs. (id:4369019)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.