Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Lakes Community High School
Lakes, Oakland students use hands-on activities to learn about the life of a tree Oct 28, 2014 8:02 PM
Oakland Elementary School fourth-graders pretended to be trees gathering pieces of paper that represented sunlight, water and nutrients as they worked with Lakes Community High School seniors to learn environmental lessons Tuesday in Lake Villa.
Girls volleyball: Daul, Grayslake Central stand tall Oct 28, 2014 10:35 PM
Allie Daul nearly recorded a double-double in kills and blocks, as the 6-foot-2 junior led Grayslake Central’s volleyball team to a 21-25, 27-25, 25-20 upset of fifth-seeded Lakes in the Class 4A Grayslake Central regional semifinals Tuesday night. Daul’s 10 kills and 9 blocks propelled No. 12 Grayslake Central (22-15) into Thursday’s 6 p.m. final against No. 4 Glenbrook South.
Girls cross country: Lake County roundup Oct 25, 2014 10:45 PM
Girls cross country Antioch regional: At Fox River Park in Wilmot, Wis., Lakes junior Kortney Schardt won the Class 2A race in 19:17, helping the Eagles (59 points) finish second to Lake Forest (31). Lakes’ effort also included the runs of seniors Danielle Griesbaum (fifth, 20:08), Ashley Espinosa (11th, 20:35) and Nicole Towne (20th, 21:42) and junior Sarah Sprague (22nd, 21:44). Third-place Grayslake Central (74) was led by sophomore Megan Girmscheid (sixth, 20:11). The Rams also counted juniors Lura Quandt (seventh, 20:15) and Umaiyal Sridas (16th, 21:31), senior Emma Mitchiner (19th, 21:40) and junior Sara O’Malley (26th, 22:01). Freshman Aileen Hull paced fifth-place Carmel (116). The Corsairs’ other runners included freshman Lauren Laughlin (21st, 21:43), sophomore Maddie Cusack (25th, 21:52), freshman Molly Machala (28th, 22:06) and senior Riley Felicicchia (33rd, 22:26). Antioch (sixth, 162) advanced too, as sophomore Tessa Furlong (13th, 21:09) was the first Sequoit to finish. Freshmen Jessica Lamberty (31st, 22:16) and Allison Morris (34th, 22:32) and juniors Kayla Fahey (41st, 23:15) and Brenda Herman (43rd, 23:25) also helped out Antioch. The advancing individuals included Grayslake North’s duo of sophomore Cindy Alcala (29th, 22:12) and junior Paloma Alcala (39th, 23:10). Palatine regional: At Deer Grove East Forest Preserve, Lake Zurich (79 points) finished second in the Class 3A meet, well behind Palatine (27). Junior Caitlin Shepard was Lake Zurich’s top runner, as she finished seventh (18:20) The Bears’ top five also consisted of freshman Kelly Ledinsky (15th, 18:55), senior Nicole Syverson (18th, 19:03), junior Kristie Houghton (19th, 19:04) and senior Laura McNair (20th, 19:06). Grant (sixth, 130) advanced too, with junior Madison Romig (14th, 18:49) leading the way. Sophomore Rachael Temple (16th, 18:56), senior Kaleigh Bauer (32nd, 19:57), sophomore Lauren Troemel (33rd, 20:01) and freshman Samantha Kaye (35th, 20:06) completed the Bulldogs’ scoring. Woodstock regional: At Emricson Park, Vernon Hills (88) finished third behind Yorkville (28) and Crystal Lake Central (68) in the Class 2A meet. Vernon Hills’ top five consisted of junior Vivian Overbeck (18:51), senior Samantha Hershman (19:51), junior Shannon Skeoch (20:13), freshman Lauren Katz (20:35) and senior Lauren Kim (21:01).
Boys cross country: Lake County roundup Oct 25, 2014 10:46 PM
Boys cross country Palatine regional: At Deer Grove East Forest Preserve, sophomore Matt Pereira’s runner-up finish led Lake Zurich to the Class 3A championship with 52 points, 15 fewer than runner-up McHenry. Lake Zurich’s top five also included freshman Patrick Burns (eighth, 15:43), sophomore Brian Griffith (13th, 15:56), senior Justin Shim (14th, 15:57) and sophomore Kyle Griffith (15th, 15:59). Senior Mark Spatz (18th, 16:03) also ran well. Pereira (14:52) finished behind McHenry’s Jesse Reiser (14:47). Grant (eighth, 215) advanced seniors Frank Cardy (20th, 16:06) and Jeffrey Brundidge (38th, 16:35). Antioch regional: At Fox River Park in Wilmot, Wis., sophomore Jack Aho won the Class 2A race, leading Grayslake Central to the championship with 28 points, well ahead of runner-up Lake Forest (79). Carmel (111), Grayslake North (116), Antioch (118) and Lakes (127) also advanced. Grayslake Central’s dominant performance also featured the races of junior Jack Battaglia (fourth, 16:50), senior Max Brunk (fifth, 17:00), junior John Girmscheid (seventh, 17:15), senior Suneed Ahmed (11th, 17:30), junior Danny Vincent (17th, 17:53) and senior Gavin Achtemeier (18th, 17:54). Carmel’s top five consisted of senior Patrick Pastika (12th, 17:39), junior Michael Cusack (14th, 17:43), sophomore Stephen Lacke (23rd, 18;09) and seniors Patrick Hogan (28th, 18:33) and Austin Truesdale (34th, 18:51). Grayslake North was led by sophomore Liam O’Connell (ninth, 17:29). Junior Dylan Ponomar (24th, 18:18), sophomore Cameron Detweiler (25th, 18:27), senior Brannan Morris (27th, 18:32) and freshman Blake Barrecca (31st, 18:41) completed the Knights’ scoring. Senior Dan Ressler’s sixth-place run (17:08) led the way for Antioch. The Sequoits’ scoring also included senior Zach Besson (10th, 17:29), sophomore Kevin Vettesse (30th, 18:40), senior Tommy Castino (33rd, 18:50) and junior Tyler Glassman (39th, 19:00). Lakes’ top-five was made up of senior Daniel Miller (19th, 17:59), freshman Kael Moran (21st, 18:02) and juniors Jacob Hubbard (22nd, 18:07), Kellen Moczynski (29th, 18:37) and Robert Kuhlmann (36th, 18:54). Woodstock regional: At Emricson Park, Vernon Hills (74 points) finished second in the Class 2A regional to Yorkville (49). Vernon Hills’ sectional-qualifying squad was led by sophomore Shane Williamson (15:52). The Cougars’ top five also included seniors Tyler Smith (16:14) and Rob Williams (16:50), junior Trevor Moyers (17:13) and sophomore Tim Krashevsky (17:18).
History repeats as Antioch comes back on Lakes Oct 25, 2014 11:34 PM
Antioch found itself trailing rival Lakes in the regional final, just like last year. But the Sequoits once again rallied to produce a come-from-behind victory. Iven Hernandez scored the winning goal to lift top-seeded Antioch past No. 8 seed Lakes 2-1 in a Class 2A regional final in Lake Villa on Saturday night.
Top-seeded Stevenson gears up for playoffs Oct 25, 2014 11:39 PM
There have been undefeated football seasons at Stevenson in the past. There have also been too many conference titles to count and a 26-year consecutive playoff streak that is among the best in the state. But one item is missing from Stevenson’s resume, and it’s a pretty big one at that: a state championship. With one of their best teams in program history, the Patriots are hoping to finally add that elusive piece of hardware to their trophy case, and on Saturday night they learned the path they’ll have to take to do so. The IHSA announced the 256 teams across eight classes that make up its state playoff field. At 9-0, Stevenson was the top-ranked team in Class 8A and will face No. 16 Lyons (5-4) in Lincolnshire.
Lakes wraps up unbeaten Prairie run Oct 25, 2014 12:16 AM
Lakes 52, North Chicago 0: Special teams delivered, as the host Eagles completed a 6-0 run in the North Suburban Prairie Division for the third straight year. Lakes finished the regular season with an 8-1 record, while North Chicago ended up winless (0-9, 0-6). Lakes blocked the first two punts of the game. The second block was returned for a touchdown by Dave Boudart. On North Chicago’s third punt, Jake Balliu returned it 42 yards for a TD. Lakes led 28-0 after one quarter and 49-0 at halftime. Balliu finished with 3 touchdowns, as he also scored on receptions of 13 and 41 yards. Lakes quarterback Jordan Mercure was 7-of-11 passing for 109 yards and 3 TDs. He also scored on a 37-yard run.
Football: Scouting Week 9, Lake County Oct 23, 2014 8:23 PM
Here's a look at what to expect from Week 9 of the high school football season from the perspective of teams in the North Suburban Conference, plus Carmel Catholic, Grayslake Central and Grayslake North.
Boys soccer / Lake County roundup Oct 21, 2014 11:07 PM
Max Warren scored in the first overtime, lifting Stevenson’s boys soccer team to a 1-0 upset of fourth-seeded Barrington in a Class 3A regional semifinal at Barrington on Tuesday night.
Sectional title is patient Warren’s reward Oct 18, 2014 11:07 PM
It was worth the wait for Warren’s girls tennis team. Morning rain showers pushed back the start of the final day of the Lakes sectional in Lake Villa on Saturday. After the resumption of play by midafternoon, matches didn’t conclude into the evening hours under the lights at Lakes. Warren advanced both of its singles players and doubles team to this week’s state tournament. The Blue Devils won the sectional with 35 points, Antioch was distant second with 17 and Grayslake Central placed third with 16 in the 10-team field.
Lake Zurich reclaims NSC boys cross country title Oct 18, 2014 7:49 PM
After taking second place to Vernon Hills last year, the Lake Zurich boys cross country team returned to the league mountain top Saturday afternoon at the North Suburban Conference meet in Lake Forest. The Bears outdistanced the runner-up Cougars this time around as Lake Zurich captured the championship of the 13-team meet with 43 points, well ahead of VH’s 96, in the 3-mile race on the grounds of the west campus.
Girls cross country: Repeat NSC title for Lake Zurich Oct 18, 2014 8:09 PM
After winning the North Suburban Conference title by 26 points last year over Vernon Hills, Lake Zurich knew it was definitely a contender to make it two in a row Saturday afternoon at Lake Forest’s west campus. And the determined Bears did exactly that on the slightly muddy and damp 3-mile course as they earned a third NSC championship in the last four years, finishing with 68 points to 89 for runner-up Warren. It turned out to be an epic battle for that second-place finish in the team standings as the Blue Devils edged Libertyville (93 points) in third, the host Scouts (94) in fourth, and Vernon Hills (96) in fifth.
Top 5 prep football games you don't want to miss tonight Oct 17, 2014 3:58 PM
High school football week 8 brings some great matchups to the field all across the suburbs. Elgin and Larkin play for the Town Jug, and undefeated Batavia takes on Geneva, who only has one loss. Get all the details here.
Images: Antioch vs. Lakes football Oct 17, 2014 11:02 PM
The Antioch Sequoits hosted and lost 45-18 to the Lakes Eagles for football action on Friday, October 17 in Antioch.
Rivalry classic favors Lakes Oct 18, 2014 12:14 AM
As if the game itself wouldn’t have been memorable enough, Lakes senior Jake Balliu added a striking personal touch Friday night in Antioch. Now, it will be next to impossible for him to keep his final crosstown football rivalry game off his list of all-time favorites. As Antioch was scrambling to get a score in the final moments, Balliu intercepted a pass at the 1-yard line and ran 99 yards in the other direction for a touchdown. It was the sparkly red bow that wrapped up a 45-18 Lakes victory over District 117 peer Antioch.
Football: Scouting Week 8, Lake County Oct 16, 2014 8:43 PM
Here's what to expect in Week 8 of the high school footall season for the teams in the North Suburban Conference plus Carmel Catholic, Grayslake North and Grayslake Central.
Lakes High freshman preparing to compete in baton twirling world championship Oct 16, 2014 8:46 AM
Troy Kraly was 4 years old when he held his first baton that was given to him by his older sister, Tess. Now the Lake Villa teen will be twirling and tossing this baton before a worldwide audience. The 14-year-old will represent the United States' junior men's team at the World Twirling Championship next April in Italy.
Sakowicz, Wauconda rise up against Lakes Oct 15, 2014 9:31 PM
It looked like anything but just another ho-hum match as visiting Lakes, a 27-game winner, took a 23-18 lead in set one of a pivotal volleyball match at Wauconda. After all, the North Suburban Conference’s Prairie Division crown was up for discussion on Wednesday night. And then Wauconda’s LeAnne Sakowicz went into serve for the trailing team.
Girls tennis: With authority, Stevenson takes NSC title Oct 11, 2014 9:07 PM
After having to settle for a first-place tie with Lake Forest last year, Stevenson wanted to make sure it didn’t leave anything to chance Saturday afternoon at the North Suburban Conference girls tennis meet. And the Patriots proved they were a cut above the rest in the 14-team meet, as they easily clinched the title over the runner-up Scouts by a comfortable 38-25 score. Warren and Libertyville battled down to the wire with the Blue Devils holding off the Wildcats 23-21.5 for third place. Lake Zurich captured fifth with 16 points.
Radtke, Stevenson in fine form at Glenbrook North Oct 11, 2014 9:47 PM
Jori Radtke was nearly unstoppable for Stevenson’s girls volleyball team in the Glenbrook North tournament. The Patriots wrapped up play by outlasting Morton 30-32, 25-14, 25-19, as Radtke slammed 14 kills for the third time in four matches. She also had 14-kill efforts against Glenbrook North and Glenbrook North’s JV. Stevenson (18-13) won its final two matches, including a 25-23, 26-24 decision over Buffalo Grove. Radtke’s 7 kills led the way against the Bison.
- No more excuses
- Rauner vs. Quinn: Seven issues where they will clash
- Rozner: Cubs' pursuit of Maddon strictly business
- DuPage drug cops 'making a difference' in heroin fight
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- 2 fire districts field 'emotionally charged' questions
- Waukegan school district, teachers reach tentative deal
- 10 ideas -- from tame to terrifying -- for Halloween
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- $1.9 million spent, but Cook court parking fees ditched
- Fremd educator named Illinois Teacher of the Year
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- Hinsdale district OKs new two-year contract
- Pumpkin seeds and carving take center stage at BatFest
- Gander Mountain opens in Algonquin
- SECRETARIAL - SECRETARIAL /T-Arl. Hts. Knowledge of Microsoft Office. Type 60 wpm. Fax resume to 847-690-9883 or e-mail info@IllinoisSoccerRefereeCommittee.org (id:4389258) COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - Computer -Network & Computer Systems Administrator, Provide Network/Server system support for all dept. Bachelor's in Comp. Sci., IT related. Min. 1yr. exp. in network & computer SA. Mail resume to HR Mgr, Nuwave, LLC. 1795 N. Butterfield Rd, Libertyville, IL 60048 (id:4389213) PATIENT COORDINATOR - HEALTHCARE We are looking for an experienced Patient Coordinator to handle the demands of the front office of fast paced surgical practice in NW suburbs. Candidate MUST have at least 3-5 years of medical office experience, a high-school diploma with 2 or more years of college education preferred. Experience with EMR necessary, eClinicalWorks knowledge a plus. Candidate must be professional, possess excellent customer service skills, able to handle multiple tasks effectively and calmly. Good computer skills a must. Commensurate salary, good location. Candidates please email resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4388037)
- POWER UNIT BUILDER - Hydraulic lift manufacturer in St. Charles, Illinois has an immediate full time opening for a panel-power unit builder. Candidate must have extensive electrical, electronic and hydraulic experience to layout and build control panels and power units from Cad drawings, electrical schematics and hydraulic drawings. Candidate must be well versed in the use of hand and power tools as well as various multimeters and hydraulic valve test equipment. Send resume to fax# (630) 584-9895 Email:email@example.com (id:4389188) ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - Admin Assistant seeking PT admin asst in Libertyville area. Computer and cust. svc skills a must. Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389881) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252)
- WAREHOUSE SIT DOWN FORKLIFT OPERATOR/ P - Warehouse Sit Down Forklift Operator-Picker-Packer requirements: and middot;1+ year RECENT Picking-Packing and-with Forklift Operation experience. and middot;ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis and middot;good numerical matching skills and middot;strong attention to details and middot;reliable work ethics and middot;team spirit Pls send the resume to: email@example.com (id:4388989) MAINTENANCE - Maintenance -PT Live-in maintenance person for senior community in Mt. Prospect. Light repairs and janitorial work in exchange for 2 bedroom apartment and small salary. Empathy for seniors essential. firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 630.499.0156 (id:4389386) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.