Articles filed under Festivals/Fairs
Cary businessman turned war's terrors into art May 19, 2013 12:00 AM
Cary businessman Mike Duffy studied art after he came home from the war in Vietnam. Duffy's paintings will be part of a new exhibit at the National Veterans Art Museum on Chicago's Northwest Side. "I figured I'd be dead by morning," he says of the intense gunfire that greeted his arrival in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive.
Des Plaines spring fair draws crowds May 19, 2013 12:00 AM
Dozens of Des Plaines families enjoyed activities, including a pet parade, during the sixth annual Des Plaines Park District Spring Fun Fair Saturday at the Mountain View Adventure Center and in the Juno Lighting parking lot in Des Plaines.
Lisa Sheppard is named the 2013 Gurnee Days honoree May 17, 2013 12:00 AM
Lisa Sheppard is the 2013 Gurnee Days honoree. She's a former longtime employee of the Gurnee Park District.
‘Idol’ finale a dead heat May 16, 2013 12:00 AM
Randy Jackson isn't sure which budding diva will take the crown on "American Idol." The veteran judge of the Fox talent competition declared Wednesday's final performance round at the Nokia Theatre a dead heat after finalists Kree Harrison and Candice Glover each performed three songs. "Dude, this is so close," beamed Jackson, who announced last week that he's leaving the panel after his 12th season. "Everybody go vote!"
You can try adventure activities at Carol Stream’s JustPlay! festival May 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Maybe your dream adventure vacation would have you paddleboarding off a picturesque coast or kayaking an exotic river. Or you see yourself at a clinic with professional athletes or taking up a new game. Whatever you think you might like to try, you're likely to find it at the JustPlay! Sports and Recreation Festival running Saturday and Sunday, May 18 and 19, in Carol Stream.
Four-day Glen Ellyn fest features sampling of food, music May 14, 2013 12:00 AM
The Taste of Glen Ellyn, which opens Thursday, May 16, will tempt those who attend with food from 16 vendors. But the village's first major outdoor festival of the year also is known for its music, which features performers of varying ages playing a variety of music.
More than 100 artists expected at St. Charles Fine Art Show May 14, 2013 12:00 AM
Organizers of this year's St. Charles Fine Art Show say it is going to be the largest show to date, with 110 artists expected. The 15th annual show will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, May 25 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 26 on Riverside Avenue in downtown St. Charles.
One-day hot-air balloon festival planned in GrayslakeMay 14, 2013 12:00 AM
Grayslake expects to be full of hot air Aug. 24. That's when the village plans to hold its inaugural hot-air balloon festival at Central Park. Officials say they expect the first-time event to be small but successful. “We've been laying the groundwork since January,” Grayslake Trustee Bruce Bassett said Monday. “The balloonists who do this are hobbyists who have jobs and other lives.”
Celebrate spring at the Des Plaines fun fair May 14, 2013 12:00 AM
The sixth annual Spring Fun Fair will take place 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, May 18, at Mountain View Adventure Center, 510 E. Algonquin Road and across the street in the Juno Lighting parking lot, in Des Plaines.
Swedish Days’ festival deadlines draw near May 10, 2013 12:00 AM
There are some upcoming May deadlines for events at the 64th annual Swedish Days, Geneva's Midsommar Festival slated for June 18-23.
Schaumburg’s Prairie Arts Festival May 25-26 May 8, 2013 12:00 AM
Schaumburg's 26th annual Prairie Arts Festival will run rain or shine from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26 on the grounds of the Robert O. Atcher Municipal Center at Schaumburg Road and Summit Drive. The exhibition and sale will feature nearly 130 fine artists displaying ceramics, fiber arts, glass, graphics, jewelry, mixed media, painting, photography, pottery and sculpture.
Check out Prairie Crossing farm open house, plant sale May 6, 2013 12:00 AM
Prairie Crossing subdivision's farm will host an open house and organic plant sale Saturday, May 18, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Visitors may purchase organic plants, meet the farmers, visit the chickens and baby goats, and support the farmers growing local food in Grayslake.
Lombard's Lilac Time offers a variety of blooms, activities May 1, 2013 12:00 AM
One of the strengths of Lombard's lilac collection is its variety. Some bushes bloom early, reminding visitors Lilac Time is on its way. Other plants hit the nail on the head, bursting with fragrance and purple blooming beauty from May 4 to 19 — this year's dates for the annual festival held in Lilacia Park, 150 S. Park Ave. The festival offers activities as varied as the types of lilacs, including art fairs, library events, culinary activities and a 5K.
Get ready for Geneva’s first All-American Soap Box Derby RaceMay 1, 2013 12:00 AM
The Geneva Kiwanis Club will hold the first Geneva All-American Soap Box Derby Race during the city's Swedish Days Festival. The race is a qualifying event for the national event. The Soap Box Derby is a youth racing program which has run nationally since 1934. World Championship finals are held each July at Derby Downs in Akron, Ohio.
Chocolate fest opens May 3 in Long Grove May 1, 2013 12:00 AM
Prepare to dive into three days of chocolate, as the annual Chocolate Fest runs May 3-5 in historic Long Grove near routes 53 and 83.
Batavia to have fireworks, but money still needed for the show Apr 30, 2013 12:00 AM
There will be a Fourth of July fireworks show in Batavia this year, but the length will depend on how much money the fireworks committee raises this weekend.
Naperville’s Ribfest tickets now on sale Apr 22, 2013 12:00 AM
Tickets are now on sale for Naperville's annual Ribfest celebration, which runs from July 3 through 7 in Knoch Park near downtown. Organizers from the Naperville Exchange Club said tickets are $12 if purchased online or $15 at the gate. Children 11 and younger are admitted free with a paying adult.
Lineup announced for Chicago Gospel Festival Apr 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Joe Ligon and The Mighty Clouds of Joy will headline this year’s Chicago Gospel Music Festival. The festival runs from June 20 to 23 with performances and events in Chicago’s Bronzeville neighborhood, Millennium Park and the Chicago Cultural Center.
Kaneland arts festival celebrates creativity Apr 17, 2013 12:00 AM
When the Kaneland Community Fine Arts Festival opens its doors on Sunday, April 21, at Kaneland High School in Maple Park, visitors will be invited to look, touch, hear, see, smell, taste, and participate fully in an amazing choice of arts experiences. Admission is free, and the event runs from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Northwest Fourth Fest might charge cover for one night of musicApr 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Attendees at this year's Northwest Fourth Fest might have to pay for a ticket if they want to see two bands perform live on July 5 in Hoffman Estates. Guests could be charged $10 to enter the fenced-off Village Green across the street from the Sears Centre arena, where rock band 7th Heaven and a yet-to-be-determined musical act will be playing.
- South Elgin High mourns student who died in his sleep
- Police say Schaumburg cop under investigation
- COD paves new way to earn bachelor's degree
- State workers anxious as lawmakers debate pensions
- Winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Two charged in South Elgin heroin overdose death
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- Don Mauer puts 'The 8-Hour Diet' to the test
- Man injured in suspected gang shooting in Elgin
- South Elgin High mourns student who died in his sleep
- Wanna win Powerball? Try these numbers
- Two charged in South Elgin heroin overdose death
- Google boosts photo offerings to rival Facebook
- Elgin man charged with kidnapping, sexual assault
- Hoffman Estates men accused of drug dealing
- After DUI, Huntley coach suspended for rest of season
- Apartment building catches fire in Palatine
- NEWSPAPER DELIVERY - DELIVERY -Newspapers Early Mornings, Should have van or SUV. Palatine area. 847-571-3733 (id:4339735) JOB FAIR - AAA SALES JOB FAIR/ OPEN HOUSE! AAA is seeking sales professionals. We have opportunities available in Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, Northbrook, Orland Park, Wilmette and other offices in the Chicago area for: Insurance Sales Agents -Leisure Travel Agents Would you or someone you know be interested in these opportunities? We invite you to attend our: JOB FAIR/OPEN HOUSE Thursday, May 30 -5:00 -8:00pm AAA's Arlington Heights Branch -1840 S. Arlington Heights Road 847/364-4465 We seek candidates with sales experience and a demonstrated history of sales success. Interviews Conducted On-site! Bring Your Resume! If unable to attend, send your resume to Jobs@aaachicago.com Please reference Job Code: DHOH519; Fax: 630/236-7681. www.aaa.com/careers -EOE (id:4340052) BEVERAGE EQUIPMENT SERVICE SHOP - Beverage Equipment Service Shop needs labor help. Full or Part Time Abesco Inc. 2200 Stonington Ave. Suite 200 Hoffman Estates, IL. 847-884-9595 Apply in Person (id:4339414)
- POLICE OFFICER - POLICE OFFICER The Village of Mount Prospect Board of Police and Fire Commissioners will be conducting a Police Officer Examination. Preliminary application, requirements and testing information is available at: PublicSafetyRecruitment.com Call 1-800-343-HIRE with questions. APPLICATION AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION DUE BY NOON CDT, JULY 3, 2013 Mandatory orientation will be held on July 31, 2013 at 6:00 p.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Testing will be held on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. at Prospect High School, Mount Prospect, IL. Starting Salary $56,115 with full benefits package EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER -M/F (id:4339311) HEALTH CARE - Life Experience Coordinator The Garlands of Barrington is seeking a creative and energetic leader to transition our Memory Care unit into a dynamic, activity and ability based model of service. This position will have direct involvement with families and other departments while developing individualized plans for each member. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing and implementing programs, as well as training and motivating others. A passion for dementia care is a MUST. A flexible work schedule to accommodate the needs of our members will include weekend and holiday rotation. Experience in a long term care environment as well as Supervisory experience preferred. Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423 (id:4340181) HEALTH CARE - The Garlands of Barrington is looking for special and caring individuals who want to make a difference in an older adult's life to join our team! We have opened our own homecare department, Garlands Homecare Solutions, and we are looking to fill the following positions: -C.N.A's Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Caregivers Part time -All shifts -1 year home health experience preferred -Live-In C.N.A. Full time 1 year home health experience preferred Apply today and experience The Garlands difference! We look forward to meeting you! Apply in person at The Garlands, 1000 Garlands Lane, Barrington IL 60010, email Sandy at Shlousek@thegarlands.com, fax to 847-756-3100 or call Sandy at 847-756-3423. (id:4340178)
- COMPUTER - Computer -Network Objects seeks Master's+0 or Bachelor's+5 or foreign equiv as System Administration (NOSA13): Lotus Script, VMWare, Sybase. Resumes: Resource Manager, 2300 Barrington Rd, Suite 400, Hoffman Estates, IL 60169. (id:4337277) WAREHOUSE - Warehouse -Co in Lake Zurich seeks warehouse worker. Duties incl packing orders for shipment. 401K, health ins. ind. must speak & read English. Call Herb 847-438-4556 (id:4340099) RECEPTIONIST - Receptionist Glendale Hts Auto Dealer seeks part time Receptionist/ Cashier. Dealership exp. a plus. Multi-tasking and reliability a must. Responsibilities will include answering phones, cashiering and light filing. 20 -25 hours per week. Retail environment. Schedule will include some Saturday & holiday hours. Please email resume to Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4340098)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.
Powered by Local.com