Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Fashion
Coco Rocha showcases the art of posing in new book Oct 29, 2014 5:45 AM
Supermodel Coco Rocha is known for her ability to strike a pose, but she says it wasn’t always appreciated. When she moved to New York, people thought she was overzealous with her posing, but what made her different ended up being appreciated — for the most part, she said. Now she has compiled a coffee-table-style book of 1,000 poses titled, “Study of Pose,” out Tuesday.
Everything you need to know about Hello Kitty Oct 29, 2014 6:00 AM
Hello Kitty didn’t need a backstory — or a mouth — to become a global phenomenon. Her image can be found on anything you can imagine, from the predictable to the not-so-predictable: surfboards, motor oil, an air purifier, kitchen gadgets, fine jewelry, light bulbs and toilet paper. “You could be born in a Hello Kitty maternity ward,” said Dave Marchi, a spokesman for Sanrio, the Japanese company that created Hello Kitty in 1974.
Beyonce, Topshop team up to launch athletic wear Oct 27, 2014 11:35 AM
Want a body like Beyonce’s? Now you can buy clothes she’s designed for exercising. The 33-year-old singer announced Monday that she is merging with British retailer Topshop to launch the company, Parkwood TopShop Athletic Ltd. It is a 50/50 joint venture. The clothing line will be available next fall.
Pucker up: Lip balms, treatments having a moment Oct 24, 2014 6:15 AM
Artisanal or oozing with luxury, lip balms are having a moment. Joining cutesy offerings intended for kids and go-to standards around for years are newer lip scrubs, color tints and balms that ask buyers to put their money where their mouths are for good causes. “There’s definitely an explosion in popularity. It’s sort of the Angelina effect,” said Erin Flaherty, beauty and health director for Marie Claire magazine, referring to the lip-endowed Angelina Jolie.
Kimono’s evolution reflects changing Japan Oct 23, 2014 6:00 AM
It’s difficult to imagine a more eloquent symbol of Japan than the deceptively simple, T-shaped kimono. Traditional yet ever changing, the kimono has evolved dramatically over the past 150 years. Its story encompasses the evolution of weaving, dyeing and embroidery techniques, as well as Japan’s aesthetic, social and even political history. “Kimono: A Modern History,” on view at New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art through Jan. 19, 2015, is a tour de force in textiles.
From Kors to DVF, fashion mourns de la Renta Oct 21, 2014 2:34 PM
Fun, sunny, romantic. Oscar de la Renta approached fashion and life on those terms, but there was more, so much more, those who loved and admired the designer say.News: The “more,” Vogue’s Anna Wintour wrote Tuesday on the magazine’s website, was “democratic.”
Fashion guru Oscar de la Renta dies at 82 Oct 21, 2014 12:28 AM
Oscar de la Renta, the Dominican-born fashion designer who spent more than 50 years dressing royalty, Hollywood celebrities and U.S. first ladies from Jacqueline Kennedy to Hillary Clinton, died Monday, the New York Times reported. He was 82 years old.
Images: Oscar de la Renta's fashions Oct 21, 2014 12:32 AM
Oscar de la Renta, who died Monday at 82, shaped American couture half a century ago when it emerged as a serious rival to European fashion designers. His specialty was evening gowns, and celebrities from Penelope Cruz and Sarah Jessica Parker to former first ladies Laura Bush and Hillary Rodham Clinton wore his creations.
Fashion: The hidden story of Brooks Brothers Oct 19, 2014 6:22 AM
The venerable men’s clothier Brooks Brothers has been a fixture in New York since being founded there in 1818. It has weathered 125 years in the fashion industry and has gone from Civil War uniforms to cutting-edge style. All while transitioning from a family to corporate ownership. But always with style.
Tory Burch book gives look at what inspires her Oct 15, 2014 5:45 AM
Tory Burch’s new book is all about color, a compilation of the influences that inspire her, from people to music to art to culture to travel to home design. “It’s this eclectic mix, and that’s really what our company’s about as well, so it made perfect sense,” Burch said. “Tory Burch in Color,” released Tuesday, is arranged by color, with each chapter featuring photographs and anecdotes related to a different hue.
Too soon? How about not at all for Ebola Halloween Oct 14, 2014 12:34 PM
No holiday screams pop culture controversy quite like Halloween. So what’s the costume flap of the year? It might just be Ebola, as in Ebola zombies, sexy Ebola patients and faux protective gear. The idea of riffing on the crisis for Halloween “definitely rubs me the wrong way,” said Philadelphia physician's assistant Maria McKenna, who works with post-surgical patients at a hospital.
Schaumburg hosts crime prevention fashion show for seniors Oct. 28 Oct 13, 2014 2:11 PM
The Village of Schaumburg Support Our Seniors Council will hold a Crime Prevention Fashion Show for seniors at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 28, at the Prairie Center for the Arts. The show will provide seniors with crime prevention information and raise awareness of public and private sector service employees who assist the public.
Betty Halbreich talks closets, mirrors in new book Oct 10, 2014 6:00 AM
Clothes and how to wear them have been a constant in Betty Halbreich’s life for most of her 86 years. Good thing she landed a job at Bergdorf Goodman as a personal shopper nearly four decades ago. She lays out her life in a new book, “I’ll Drink to That: A Life in Style with a Twist,” co-written by Rebecca Paley and released in September by Penguin Press.
Nina Ricci chooses Guillaume Henry as new designer Oct 8, 2014 6:00 AM
Parisian fashion house Nina Ricci has announced designer Guillaume Henry as its new creative director, following the departure of Peter Copping last month. Critical darling Henry came to prominence as the Carven house designer, since 2009, and was seen to give the house a new creative edge.
Galliano’s back, joining Martin Margiela Oct 8, 2014 5:30 AM
John Galliano will be designing fashion again, joining Paris house Martin Margiela, three years after leaving the business in disgrace. Galliano, after a long career at Christian Dior, left fashion in 2011 after he was caught on video slurring “I love Hitler.” He was dismissed from Dior, left his namesake label and was convicted by a French court on complaints of anti-Semitic behavior.
‘Uncommon Threads’ fashion-art show returns to St. Charles Oct 5, 2014 5:03 PM
Tickets are now on sale for "Uncommon Threads," the annual one-of-a-kind wearable art show and luncheon, presented by Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles. Superlative wearable art is the focus of this event, which brings together phenomenal textiles and accessories created by local and national artists.
Britney Spears launches lingerie line, talks new album Sep 25, 2014 8:15 AM
Britney Spears is branching out. After 16 years in the music business and nearly 100 million record sales under her belt, the 32-year-old singer has added “designer” to her busy resume. The pop star launched her debut collection of lingerie and sleepwear, called “The Intimate Britney Spears,” in London Tuesday night. The line, which Spears describes as “romantic, feminine and subtle,” has been 2½ years in the making.
Kerry Washington helps launch ‘Scandal’ collection Sep 25, 2014 6:00 AM
Kerry Washington wants women to look as powerful and put together as her TV persona. Fashion retailer The Limited has teamed up with the “Scandal” star and the show’s costume designer, Lyn Paolo, for a collection inspired by the ABC drama, which premieres its fourth season on Thursday. Washington said it is important for clothing to be accessible."This line is created so that everybody can find their own inner gladiator. That every woman can be powerful and sexy, brilliant and smart and gorgeous, fashion-forward," she said.
Nearly cooked models start Paris Fashion Week Sep 24, 2014 6:00 AM
Ninety-three shows, nine days, one fashion-crazed city. The world’s traveling circus of fashion editors, buyers and celebrities waved goodbye to the cobbled streets of Milan and cried “Bonjour Paris” on Tuesday, bracing itself for the last, most colorful furlong of spring-summer 2015 ready-to-wear shows. Tuesday’s a day for the up-and-coming fashion designers and stars of tomorrow. And it can pack some surprises.
Dolce&Gabbana harness Spanish passion Sep 23, 2014 5:45 AM
Dolce&Gabbana continue their survey of conquests of their beloved Sicily, rendering into ready-to-wear fashion cultural traces left behind by these sometimes ill-fated adventures. After incorporating Norman traces for winter looks, it was on to Spain’s influence on the oft-conquered Sicily for next summer’s womenswear looks previewed Sunday, the fifth day of Milan Fashion Week.
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Focused Cary-Grove a regional champ
- When smoke clears, Cubs will hunt for free agents
- Our Lady of Destiny School in Des Plaines closing
- Parties pouring money into 56th District race
- Drawing on friends to bury happy, outgoing 30-year-old
- Ricky B's Prime Burger House a chip off the old chop
- Bloomingdale man arrested in Bartlett
- Endorsement: No on well-meaning but uncertain amendments
- Gasp! Rauner orders ketchup on hot dog
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660) IT MANAGER - Part-Time IT Manager experienced with video surveillance and cash register/POS systems. Need to understand Apple, Windows and Android products. Email resume: email@example.com United Cash Register Video Division ph# (708)780-1200 (id:4389084) OFFICE - Amvets seeks person for flex-ible hrs in N & NW suburbs Call from home. Call Diane at 815-609-1852 between 9a-noon for more information (id:4389737)
- POLISHER - Arlington Plating Company seeks a FT experienced metal Polisher. Requires ability to set up polishing wheels, handle small and large metal parts, stand for 8 hours, and work OT. Full-time benefits included. Apply on line at ww.arlingtonplating.com or in person. (id:4389982) SALES DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT - N-W Computer Company seeks energetic, self motivated person for the position of sales assistant Must excel in written and verbal communications, MS Office. Experience in sales of products and services a plus. Excellent work environment with great benefits. E-mail: HR@A-TechInc.com (id:4388043) WAITSTAFF - Wine Bar Servers & Wait Staff Wanted Experienced Only Need Apply Please send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Ken Siwieck 1111 Willis Ave. Wheeling, IL 60090 We are an equal opportunity employer (id:4389440)
- ARCHITECT SYSTEM - Solution Architect Grant Thornton LLP is seeking a Solution Architect in Chicago, IL with the following requirements: BS in CS, CIS, MIS, Management or a related field and 5 years prior experience. Prior exp. must include: design, develop and implement all parts of an Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application (EPMA or classic): metadata, lists, rules, security, webforms and reports; develop Excel tools with Smartview and VBA to meet client needs on HFM; design and create dynamic reports with Financial Reporting Studio; implement, maintain and update HFM related tools including FDM, DRM and EPMA. 100% travel required. Must live near a major airport. Please apply at www.gt.com by clicking on the Careers link. (id:4389494) EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) SECURITY OFFICER - SECURITY OFFICER (DEERFIELD) Security Positions FT/PT Deerfield All Shifts Available Guardsmark, a prestigious national security contractor, is current- ly hiring unarmed officers for both full-time and part-time positions in Deerfield starting at $11.00 per hour. Applicants need a H.S. Diploma or GED, must be 21 years or older, must have clean criminal background and be drug free, and possess a valid driver's license. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, free life insurance, matching 401k retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday pay, tuition assistance, free uniforms, and various award programs. If interested, please fax your resume to (630) 571-1156 or email to email@example.com or come to the Guardsmark office in person to fill out an application and have an interview Monday-Friday from 10am-3pm at 800 Enterprise Drive, Suite #107, Oak Brook, IL 60523. No experience necessary. No Phone Calls Please (id:4389782)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.