Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Education
Fremd welcomes home Illinois Teacher of the Year Oct 27, 2014 8:11 PM
An outpouring of love and a standing ovation greeted Fremd High School automotive teacher Steve Elza at a schoolwide assembly Monday, two days after he was named Illinois’ Teacher of the Year for 2015. Elza remained characteristically modest. “It all comes down to the kids,” he said. “You know how you learn, but everyone has a different learning style.”
Stevensong High literary mag wins award Oct 27, 2014 5:16 PM
The 2013-14 edition of Stevenson High School’s literary magazine, the Wit, won first place in the American Scholastic Press Association’s national literary magazine competition.
U-46 seeks participants for STEM expo Oct 27, 2014 5:22 PM
Elgin Area School District U-46 will host a series of kickoff events in November to encourage students from kindergarten through high school to develop STEM project ideas. “It’s like a way just to get students engaged to start thinking about what type of projects they would like to do for the STEM Expo,” said Heather Rocen, U-46 science instructional coach. The 2015 STEM Expo is Feb. 28 at South Elgin High School.
Board to talk golf course: Oct 26, 2014 5:27 PM
The Mundelein High School board will meet Tuesday to discuss its options for the Village Green Golf Club, which the district owns.
Why poor kids don't stay in college Oct 27, 2014 8:29 AM
Even after controlling for ability, the gap in college graduation rates persists. Low-income students who scored between 1200 and 1600 on their SATs were half as likely to finish college than their counterparts in the top 25 percent of the income distribution, according to one analysis of data from 2000. Economic distress can dim a student's chances by forcing her to take on part-time jobs or reduce her credit load to help out at home.
New disagreement in Dist. 60 teacher's strike: school lunches Oct 27, 2014 1:49 PM
Along with teacher salary raises and benefits, something new was added to the list of things the Waukegan School Disrict 60 administration and the teacher's union cannot agree on: school lunches. In a post to the district website Sunday, the administration said union leadership was holding up a district plan to suspend the ongoing teacher's strike two hours a day to resume food service that is available to some students during the school year.
UW-Madison spring commencement stays at stadium Oct 25, 2014 8:18 AM
Spring commencement at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will return to Camp Randall Stadium. Previously graduation ceremonies were held in shifts at the Kohl Center. But, because of the success of the spring commencement earlier this year, university officials have decided to stick with the stadium. Six-thousand undergraduates and masters’ students, along with 44,000 friends and family celebrated at Camp Randall last May. Chancellor Rebecca Blank says honoring the graduates in a place so steeped with tradition is memorable. The 2015 ceremony will take place on Saturday, May 16 at noon. As in previous years, doctoral and professional students will celebrate in the Kohl Center on the Friday before.
Fremd educator named Illinois Teacher of the Year Oct 25, 2014 10:48 PM
Steven Elza, an automotive technology teacher at William Fremd High School, has been named the 2015 Illinois Teacher of the Year. One of 12 finalists, Elza was announced as this year’s top educator during a banquet Saturday in Normal. "I love what I do, and I think that shows through," Elza said of the honor.
Indiana State data show low rates of violence Oct 25, 2014 8:16 AM
Indiana State University police say data show the campus is safe despite two recent incidents, including a shooting involving two students. The university’s Annual Security and Fire Report shows burglary far outweighed violent crime incidents on campus between 2011 and 2013. The statistics are gathered as part of the federal Clery Act that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crime on and around their campuses. ISU Police Chief Joe Newport tells the Tribune-Star the data show ISU is “good to above average” on an overall safety scale. The report shows ISU had 24 on-campus burglaries in 2013, 17 in 2012 and 28 in 2011. One murder was reported during that time, along with three robberies, six aggravated assaults and two vehicle thefts.
Free online AP courses debut on edX website Oct 25, 2014 7:42 AM
Rice University launched a free Advanced Placement biology course Monday on a website overseen by two other elite schools, a potentially significant milestone for a movement that aims to bring college-level courses to high school students. The site, edX, was created by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University in 2012 as a nonprofit platform for those universities and selected others to offer massive open online courses, or MOOCs, to the world.
Waukegan food pantries offer help: Oct 24, 2014 5:23 PM
While school is out of session during the Waukegan Unit District 60 strike, local food pantries are prepared to help provide meals for children. United Way of Lake County has partnered with Northern Illinois Food Bank to provide extra food to seven Waukegan food pantries.
Waukegan schools will be closed on Monday Oct 24, 2014 9:55 PM
School has been canceled on Monday for Waukegan Community Unit School District 60, the district announced. Teachers have been on strike since Oct. 2.
Answering questions about Round Lake Area Unit District 116 referendum question Oct 24, 2014 4:44 PM
Round Lake Area Unit District 116 next month will try for a second time to gain voter permission to borrow $29 million for a high school expansion and renovation. We provide answers to questions about the measure on the Nov. 4 ballot.
Chicago man indicted in SIU threat case Oct 23, 2014 4:19 PM
A Chicago man accused of mailing threats of beheadings, bombings and other violence to Southern Illinois University’s Carbondale campus is now facing fewer federal counts than when he was first charged.
District 75 reporting tentative agreement on 3-year teachers contract Oct 23, 2014 2:54 PM
Mundelein Elementary School District 75 administrators and teachers have reached a tentative agreement on a three-year contract, officials announced Thursday. The progress on the deal avoids a potential teachers strike.
Lawmakers, youth advocates join forum in Arlington Heights Oct 23, 2014 11:09 AM
A town-hall meeting in Arlington Heights tonight will explore the challenges facing suburban youth, including growing poverty, homelessness and access to drugs. Jim Slusher, assistant managing editor for the Daily Herald's opinion page, will moderate the panel discussion with state lawmakers and youth advocates.
Warren High theater: Oct 23, 2014 5:15 PM
Warren Township High School theater students will perform “Still Life With Iris” through Saturday, Oct. 25, at 7 p.m. at the O’Plaine Auditorium, 500 N. O’Plaine Road, Gurnee.
Take a survey: Oct 23, 2014 5:15 PM
Members of the Stevenson High School community can take a survey about the Lincolnshire school’s communications efforts.
Lawmaker: Controversial school funding plan won’t move soon Oct 23, 2014 7:14 PM
The suburban Democratic state lawmaker who controls the fate of a controversial school funding proposal that has scared superintendents throughout the suburbs says she won’t push it forward until at least the spring, after a new class of lawmakers has been sworn into office.
Bears chairman speaks to DeKalb students Oct 22, 2014 7:03 PM
Messages delivered by the Chicago Bears chairman have stuck with a group of fifth-graders at a DeKalb elementary school. George McCaskey recently spoke to 42 students at Gwendolyn Brooks Elementary School about the importance of leadership and learning.
- Waukegan school district, teachers reach tentative deal
- No more excuses
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Gire: 'Nightcrawler' sheds dim light on crime news
- DuPage drug cops 'making a difference' in heroin fight
- Family and friends remember Elk Grove Village Marine
- Google's big data to help Aauction.com predict homebuying
- Teacher uses N-word in Carol Stream classroom
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Sun-Times reporter quits over paper's handling of story
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- St. Charles North takes 2nd at own invite
- How bad will our winter be? A caterpillar can tell you.
- MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) MANUFACTURING - Manufacturing100 Jobs! Plastics company in Hanover Park needs Pickers/ Packers, Assemblers, Inspectors and Machine Operators NOW for 12 hour AM and PM shifts. To $8.60/hr 630-620-9800 Walk-ins Welcome 9am-3pm at Staff Force Addison office 190 North Swift Road, Ste X email@example.com (id:4389520) CUSTOMER SERVICE / INSIDE SALES - C.S/Inside Sales Mgr-NW Chicago Sub. Growing Fastener Co needs exper. Mgr with good PC and phone skills. Email Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389208)
- COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254) KITCHEN HELP - Maintenance Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660)
- JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) DELIVERY DRIVER / WAREHOUSE WORKER - Delivery Driver/Warehouse Worker -Arlington Hts, IL Duties: assembling equipment, delivery, pick-up and installation of office equipment to clients locally. Requirements: high school diploma and a valid driver's license. Good work ethic, clean driving record, mechanical aptitude, clean working conditions, ability to lift 75 lbs. Apply to email@example.com Toshiba Business Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer "M/F/D/V -EOE" (id:4389341) CLERK - MEDICAL RECORDS - Clerical -Medical Records Clerk to work in small friendly Home Health Agency located in Oak Brook. Call Bridget or Diane at Best Care 630-645-9600 or fax to 630-645-1455 (id:4389657)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.