Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Des Plaines
Elk Grove Theatre Presents “Raiders of the Lost Ark” Oct 31, 2014 7:36 AM
Elk Grove Theatre Presents “Raiders of the Lost Ark”
Lake County Center for Independent Living's 25th Anniversary Gala Celebration Oct 31, 2014 3:22 PM
Lake County Center for Independent Living (LCCIL) is a 501c3 disability rights and service organization that was founded in 1990.
Northwest suburban police blotter Oct 31, 2014 3:34 PM
A Des Plaines man was scammed out of $2,500 after he placed an ad on Care.com looking for employment. He received a text message from a subject stating that an elderly lady was moving to Des Plaines and would need an adult sitter. The victim was sent a check by US mail for $2,850. He was instructed to keep $350 and purchase four Green Dot Money Cards valued at $500 each. He gave the numbers on the cards to a caller.
Suburban teen releases song/video for Chronic Pain Awareness Nov. 2 Oct 31, 2014 6:12 PM
A local 14-year-old girl wrote, recorded and released a song on iTunes and a music video on YouTube to create awareness for reflex sympathetic dystrophy, also known as complex regional pain syndrome. The song, written by Danielle Stratton, is about her struggle with chronic pain over the last four years.
Des Plaines aldermen favor making 2-cent-per-gallon gas tax increase permanent Oct 31, 2014 6:17 PM
A majority of Des Plaines aldermen favor making a temporary 2-cent-per-gallon gas tax permanent. The city tax was increased from 2 to 4 cents in 2009 to help pay for capital improvements, and last year, aldermen agreed to keep it for one more year, with its expiration expected Dec. 31, 2014. But during budget discussions this week, aldermen voted 5-3 in a straw poll to keep the extra tax indefinitely.
Don’t vote blindly for judges, others Oct 30, 2014 1:01 AM
A recent letter by R. Felice, president of the state bar association, stated fact that many voters fail to vote for many names on the long list of judges. He also pointed out that candidates for judge are evaluated by the state bar association and that with a little work it would be easy for the public to obtain this information, which the local papers do.
The Tech Doctors Inc. earn Microsoft Silver Small, Midmarket Cloud Solutions Competency Oct 30, 2014 4:17 PM
The Tech Doctors Inc. in Wheaton announced it has achieved a Silver Small and Midmarket Cloud Solutions competency, demonstrating its ability to meet Microsoft Corp. customers’ evolving needs in today’s dynamic business environment.
Fine Line show features holiday gifts by top artists Oct 30, 2014 5:35 PM
Mark your calendar for Christmastime at the Fine Line Show and Sale, Dec. 5-13. This annual juried event in St. Charles showcases the best of our members’ artistic talents, and offers a wide range of unique holiday gifts.
Science & Arts Academy in Des Plaines cuts hair for a cause Oct 30, 2014 7:20 PM
Some students, teachers and parents at a Des Plaines gifted school are walking around with new haircuts in support of those who don’t have any hair at all. The Science & Arts Academy hosted a “Cut for a Cause” event Thursday to donate the locks that will be used to make wigs for women and children with cancer.
Our Lady of Destiny, St. Zachary schools in Des Plaines to partner up Oct 30, 2014 6:04 PM
Officials from two Catholic elementary schools in Des Plaines are being tasked with combining elements from both schools in preparation for their merger at the end of the year. What’s less clear is the extent of that new partnership. "Our name will die when the school closes," said Our Lady of Destiny Principal Linda Chorazy. "I guess the archdiocese has a new definition of a merger.”
Second Language Parents Honored for Leadership Oct 29, 2014 7:33 AM
Second Language Parents Honored for Leadership
Des Plaines Brianne Connolly Runs the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon with Team Imerman Angels Oct 29, 2014 7:27 AM
Congratulations, Brianne Connolly, for completing the 2014 Bank of America Chicago Marathon as a member of Team Imerman Angels! Brianne Connolly and 130 other Team Imerman Angels runners helped raise $210,000 in funds benefiting Imerman Angels missions to provide one-on-one cancer support for cancer fighters, survivors and caregivers. Imerman Angels believes that every fundraising page created, jersey worn while training, and each individual informed of the Imerman Angels mission helps raise awareness to ensure that no one has to ever face cancer alone. The Chicago Marathon weekend commenced with the Bank of America Chicago Marathon Health and Fitness Expo at the McCormick Place Convention Center. Guests were welcomed to browse over 200 exhibitors of marathon apparel, footwear and the latest fitness technology. After the race on Sunday, runners and supporters were invited to join Imerman Angels at the Charity Village to celebrate with food, drinks and great company. Team Imerman Angels, headed by second time marathon runner and head of Team IA recruiting Khitam Masoud, was comprised of 130 members from all around the United States and across the world. Masoud, a two-time cancer survivor, first decided to run with Imerman Angels two years ago when she met Israel Antonio, a blind athlete who runs for various organizations. His determination to overcome challenges inspired Khitam to train hard and cross the finish line in support of Imerman Angel’s cause. Team Imerman Angels runners who participated in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon include: Ateet Adhikari, Keri Paige Armbruster, Tom Astley, Eric Atkinson, Lindsay Baskin, Scott Beslow, James Bigwood, Ahmed Braimah, Chase Briggs, Dianna Brown, Berkley Cameron, Laura Caputo, Sarah Carlson, Melanie Castellanos, Michael Cates, Vanessa Ceballos, Heather Chapman, Stephanie Clarke, Brianne Connolly, Becky Critch, Pascale Dargis, Karen Davis, Michele de St. Aubin, Eric Deubel, Brendan Donegan, Katie Donnewald, Max Eisenberg, Will English IV, Kara Feemster, Becky Finley, Garret Fitzgerald, Caitlin Fitzpatrick, Carly Fleming, Alyssa Frelk Quinlan, Vince Fuentes, Drew Green, Christoffer Gronhoj, Meghan Halder, Marc Halpin, Megan Harris, Becky Ives, Betsy Jaruseski, Jena Jasany, Beth Johnson, Sarah Jones, Merrick Jones, Maura Kelly, Amy Kempf, Matthew Kornblatt, Adam Leach, Elizabeth LiBassi, Matthew Logan, Morgan Logan, Katie Mankoff, Liz Mannebach, Elaine Marin, Carrie Marquette, Stacie Marshall, Priti Marwaha, Khitam Masoud, Paul Mazzola, Josh McClung, Megan McCormick, Allison Mecher, Edgar Mejia, Christopher Migely, Marco Morelli, Lydia Morgan, Deri Morgan, Jonathon Nagle, Grant Niewinski, Hector Nuñez, Devlin O’Connor, Colin O’Keefe, Molly O’Keefe, Don Olney, Sean Olvany, Anthony Ortega, Carlos Felipe Ospina, Bryce Payne, Terry Payne, Rachel Payne, Erick Perez, Christie Phillips, Christopher Pilat, Jennifer Pilat, Gowri Ramadas, Aurora Resnick, Jennifer Rhodes, Tracy Richter, Andrea Riedl, Janelle Romano, Wildivina Rosario, Rebecca Rosenberg, Todd Rubin, Jay Schiesser, Kristen Schlenz, Martin A Schumacher Jr., Nia Scruggs, Jill Seidman, Anna Shatsman, Justin Shiffman, Johnna Silver, Alpana Singh, Rebecca Smith, Greg Snyder, Anna Soltysiak, Allison Spriggs, Nick St. John, Julie Steffen, Coree Thomas, Oscar Torres Yepes, Mike Travalini, Hector Trejo, Andrea Trudeau, Tiffany Varchetto, Eric Villalpando, Allison Vogt, Meghan Wachter, Aaron Wahls, Bobby Weil, David Weninger, Elizabeth Wentz, David Wolf, Michael Wollpert, Kathleen Yagihashi, and Nathan Zion. Imerman Angels recently launched their new Detroit chapter and Team IA runners also participated in the Detroit Free Press Talmer Bank Marathon on Sunday, October 19 and the 5K and Kids’ Fun Run on Saturday, October 18. Cory Kroneman ran the full marathon while Emily Villajuan, Noel Villajuan and Jennifer Ortwein ran the 5K and son Jack Ortwein participated in the Kids’ Fun Run. Imerman Angels Michigan Regional Director Duffy Wineman helped to raise funds and cheered Team IA on at the marathon finish line with a total of $11,500 raised to benefit the Imerman Angels mission. Team Imerman Angels will also be participating in upcoming events including Pumpkins in the Park 5K, Hot Chocolate 5K and 15K in Grant Park, Turkey Day 5K and 8K on Thanksgiving morning, Rudolph’s Ramble 8K, the 2015 Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K and the 2015 Bank of America Chicago Marathon. For more information on how to join Team Imerman Angels or if you have a team sport that you wish to get involved, call Dave Louthan at 312-274-5529 or email him at email@example.com. Visit Team IA online at http://www.imermanangels.org/team-imerman-angels/ and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TeamImermanAngels. About Imerman Angels Imerman Angels carefully matches and individually pairs a person touched by cancer (a cancer fighter or survivor) with someone who has fought and survived the same type of cancer (a Mentor Angel). Cancer caregivers (spouses, parents, children and other family and friends of fighters) also receive 1-on-1 connections with other caregivers and survivors. These 1-on-1 relationships inspire hope and offer the chance to ask personal questions and receive support from someone who is uniquely familiar with the experience. The service is absolutely free and helps anyone touched by any type of cancer, at any cancer stage level, at any age, living anywhere in the world. Imerman Angels is a federally registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. To learn more, please visitwww.imermanangels.org or call 877-274-5529.
Ebola awareness panel, other events highlight International Education Week Oct 29, 2014 7:29 AM
Ebola awareness panel, other events highlight International Education Week
D62 Staff Honored by State Board for Contributions to Education Oct 29, 2014 7:22 AM
D62 Staff Honored by State Board for Contributions to Education
Our Lady of Destiny School in Des Plaines closing next year Oct 29, 2014 11:46 PM
Our Lady of Destiny Catholic School in Des Plaines is one of nine Catholic elementary schools in Cook and Lake counties that will close its doors at the end of the school year as part of a restructuring plan announced Wednesday. The Des Plaines school is one of a handful of schools targeted for closure that will “merge students and traditions” to a nearby school — in this case, St. Zachary School, also in Des Plaines.
Sedgebrook Residents Pumping Iron Oct 28, 2014 3:32 PM
The Ironman Triathlon is widely considered to be among the most challenging athletic events in the world. Sedgebrook introduced a modified, but still impressive version of the Ironman/Ironwoman this summer, with approximately 40 residents signing on.
Townhouse proposal could displace downtown Des Plaines church Oct 28, 2014 4:14 PM
A developer is proposing to build 61 townhouses on the site of a shuttered banquet hall and restaurant in downtown Des Plaines, but members of an existing storefront church are upset they might be displaced as a result. “We feel part of this community and want to stay part of the city of Des Plaines,” said Vern Wons, a member of the Good News Christian Center.
11 towers, 'whole community' envisioned near Rivers Casino Oct 29, 2014 10:36 AM
An “eco-campus” of office buildings, residential towers, hotels and retail stores is being proposed on the site of an existing office complex across the Tri-State Tollway from Rivers Casino in Des Plaines. Robert Kozonis, owner of O'Hare Lakes, is asking for zoning changes that could one day allow as many as four 10-story office towers, five 11-story residential towers around Lake Peterson, two 9-story hotel towers and four levels of retail below the hotels -- a "whole community."
When to trick-or-treat in the Northwest suburbs Oct 28, 2014 1:52 PM
In most Northwest suburbs kids are being asked to collect their Halloween loot within specific hours — to wear costumes easily seen by drivers and to visit only homes where the front lights are on. All trick or treat hours listed here are for Friday, Oct. 31.
Have a safe and spooky Halloween with safety tips from Illinois Poison Center Oct 28, 2014 5:59 PM
With children across Illinois set to hit the streets for trick-or-treating, the Illinois Poison Center is urging parents and guardians to be cautious about Halloween products like dry ice and cosmetics that could prove dangerous if used improperly.
- A trip back in time
- ESHOF to honor Nemmers with Lifetime Achievement Award
- Insurance firm sues to avoid cost of arrested-cops cases
- Cubs make it official: Rick Renteria out, Joe Maddon in
- Time-lapse video: St. Peter Lutheran students form '150'
- Northwest suburban police blotter
- Reputed street gang members accused of illegal drug, firearm sales
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Bulls' Butler not worried about his next deal
- Vehicles hit by pellet gun on Chicago expressway
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Family questions response to Elgin man who died
- Shooting suspect caught after passers-by spotted him
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- FBI says Bolingbrook teen hoped to join ISIS
- Bolingbrook teen in ISIS case called intelligent, normal
- How Island Lake cops' heroic actions saved lives
- Skies now more friendly for kids on autism spectrum
- DuPage County Board mourns death of J.R. McBride
- New Bartlett restaurant opens downtown
- CLEANING - CLEANING HOMES must have DL & speak Eng. $9-14 + bnfts. Call McMaid Rolling Mdws: 847-991-2383 Dwnrs Grv: 630-515-8800 Wauconda: 847-526-4447 (id:4389575) IT MANAGER - Part-Time IT Manager experienced with video surveillance and cash register/POS systems. Need to understand Apple, Windows and Android products. Email resume: firstname.lastname@example.org United Cash Register Video Division ph# (708)780-1200 (id:4389084) FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660)
- COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR - Computer -Network & Computer Systems Administrator, Provide Network/Server system support for all dept. Bachelor's in Comp. Sci., IT related. Min. 1yr. exp. in network & computer SA. Mail resume to HR Mgr, Nuwave, LLC. 1795 N. Butterfield Rd, Libertyville, IL 60048 (id:4389213) SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST - CONSULTANT WANTED SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST PLEASE NOTE: We are looking for someone to do the work, NOT tell us how to do it. Leading auto aftermarket supplier of consumer and industrial chemical products seeks an industry expert to work with our team on an ongoing basis (annual retainer). Areas of expertise we are seeking include: Sourcing (packaging components, chemicals, display, promotion) Manufacturing / Operations National manufacturing & distribution. Fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. We have # 1 brands and sell to most major chains. Some travel may be required. Please respond to email@example.com with your credentials. (id:4389177) PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Fremont Public Libary, Mundelein. 16 hrs-wk, evenings and weekends. Cleaning, snow removal, meeting room set-ups. Knowledge of automated building controls a plus. Lift at least 70 lbs, read-write English. 1170 N. Midlothian Rd, Mundelein www.fremontlibrary.org-about-us-jobs (id:4389826)
- EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) RECEPTIONIST - Busy Pediatric office in Arlington Hts. Tuesday and Friday 8:15 -5:30, plus one Saturday per month 8:15 -12:30. Candidate should have basic computer knowledge, customer service skills, ability to multi task. Medical office experience helpful but not necessary. $12.00-hour Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389983) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.