Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Decor
Stick to the basics to make holiday decorating joyful Dec 15, 2014 1:11 PM
Stressed about all you have to do for the holidays? First, realize that each step in your personal holiday journey must be enjoyed or it turns into a “must do.” Limit the amount of decorating.
Why loveseats are so lovable Dec 15, 2014 1:08 PM
Q. Our living room is fairly large but narrow, so the sofa can only go against one wall, which leaves the room open to the entry hall through a wide arch. How can I make it feel self-contained and cozy, not wide-open and breezy?
The 1980s are back again: Dhurries are in Dec 14, 2014 7:00 AM
In the 1980s, dhurrie rugs from India, with their bright colors, geometric designs and sturdy flat weaves, were all the rage. Dhurries sort of disappeared in the 1990s, but they’re back.
Pantone’s color of the year: Marsala Dec 13, 2014 12:01 AM
Take a look inside that bottle of Marsala wine sitting in your bar you once bought for that Italian chicken recipe. That earthy, reddish-amber color is what Pantone has named its 2015 Color of the Year.
Floor pillows are back! Dec 8, 2014 12:00 AM
It seems that every generation discovers the simple pleasure of the lowly floor pillow. Not only is it fun to flop on the floor, but also large floor pillows often take the place of more bulky pieces of furniture.
New twists on a holiday symbol Dec 8, 2014 6:15 AM
Say “wreath,” and the beloved evergreen standard comes to mind. Each year, however, brings more and more inventive versions of wreaths. Today’s wreath might be a square, star or rectangle. Traditional holiday colors might cede ground to vibrant limes, deep indigo, pale pink or soft cream.
Venus Williams serves up interior design Dec 6, 2014 12:01 AM
This is what you get when you hire tennis star Venus Williams as your interior decorator: an enthusiastic designer who has traveled the world, drawing inspiration from Moscow to Beijing, but never quite had time to complete formal training.
Faux fur, for less hidebound homes Dec 6, 2014 12:01 AM
What’s that furry thing beneath the dinner plate in the Pottery Barn holiday catalog? It’s a faux-fur place mat, the latest home product to be made of that soft, luxurious fabric.
To sleep? Perchance to phone, text and watch TV, too! Dec 5, 2014 6:00 AM
Q. We spend a lot of time in our bedroom. Before we moved, we had plenty of space for a sofa to watch TV and for my home office. However, the bedroom in our new home is only average size. I need help making it work for our lifestyle.
How to incorporate a collection into your decor Dec 5, 2014 6:01 AM
In “Collected. Living With the Things You Love,” Fritz Karch and Rebecca Robertson present 250 wide-ranging collections, showing how they can become part of a home’s decor.
Indoor air pollution is nothing to sneeze at Nov 30, 2014 12:00 AM
Q. My entire family has allergies. We’re renovating a new house and need to use as many nonpolluting products as possible, yet we still want our home to be attractive.
Furniture company begins on Facebook Nov 30, 2014 12:01 AM
This is a love story that starts with Facebook and ends with a furniture company. Carrie Carleton met Chad Jordan at an IT networking event in 2011 but never got his number. Feeling confident, she did a Facebook search to track him down and send him a message.
Homes, holidays and history are a Mount Prospect tradition Nov 30, 2014 7:35 AM
A hidden gem among Mount Prospect's scores of beautiful vintage neighborhoods will be on display Dec. 5 when the Mount Prospect Historical Society holds its 27th annual Holiday Housewalk -- Prospect Park and Prospect Highlands subdivisions.
From vintage to city chic: holiday decor trends Nov 28, 2014 6:15 AM
For those who love to decorate, there's no time like the holidays for adding fun, festive touches to our living spaces. This year, there's something for many tastes and styles. A look at the trends you'll see at stores.
Finding that perfect hostess gift Nov 27, 2014 7:00 AM
No one wants to show up to a party empty-handed. But when it comes to host or hostess gifts, creativity often gives way to dressing up a bottle of wine. Not this holiday season! We have gift ideas in a range of prices that will help your hosts keep the parties going all year long.
Burgundy, metallic decor make strong statement in Geneva couple’s home Dec 23, 2014 3:56 PM
First pick a red. Scarlet, rose, carmine, brick, fuchsia or raspberry, you want to use the same shade through the house when decorating for Christmas, says Kathleen Newhouse of Geneva — especially if your floor plan is as open as hers.
From drab to fab: Room for Living winners announced Nov 23, 2014 6:30 AM
The Daily Herald Media Group has named two winners in its Room for Living room makeover contest. The winner, Cindy Krizizke of Schaumburg, wants to add a bit of color into her boring, drab living room, which is stocked with brown, hand-me-down furniture. Our runner-up, Cindi Lamkin of Elgin, wants to yank her living room out of the country phase, but has hit some roadblocks along the way.
Six big ideas for small spaces Nov 23, 2014 12:01 AM
When you live in cramped quarters — even if it’s a trendy apartment in a great neighborhood — sometimes it can feel like the walls are closing in. But a few low-cost decorating upgrades can lift any small space from dreary to fab.
Author specializes in ‘eco-elegant’ homes Nov 23, 2014 12:01 AM
Trudy Dujardin, interior designer and author of “Comfort Zone: Creating the Eco-Elegant Interior,” joined The Washington Post staff writer Jura Koncius recently on the newspaper’s Home Front online chat. Here is an edited excerpt:
Arranging holiday tables need not be stressful Nov 22, 2014 6:01 AM
At home, your choices are set by the furniture you have. And every holiday when you have more guests than dining spaces, your conundrum begins.
- Police on hunt for man who threatened Delnor visitor
- Northwest suburban measles case confirmed
- Police reports detail abuse before Arlington Hts. husband-wife murder
- Mundelein teen pleads guilty to murder in sister's fatal stabbing
- Hampshire pays a fitting tribute to a worthy Goebbert
- Naperville woman files fedral suit against the city
- Former Arlington Heights mayor Mulder picked for racing board
- Trooper injured in I-88 crash seeks homicide charges against truck driver
- COD to vote again on Breuder severance package
- School looking for instruments to jump-start a jazz band
- Monday night: Where is the asteroid now?
- Crystal Lake couple, 6 others charged in $600,000 tax scheme
- Big challenge ahead for Bears' Fangio
- Pyke: Lack of plowing leaves cyclists on thin ice
- Dawn Patrol: Former Kane sheriff dies; winds force early end to Norge event
- Which regional roads offer the least pleasant drives?
- Former Kane County Sheriff George Kramer dies at 81
- DuPage County judge remembered as advocate for children
- Elk Grove man facing trial on sex abuse charges
- Yogurt founder gets 5 years in prison for arson
- Rozner: Thank you, Mr. Cub, for giving your all
- Tell the truth on global warming
- Amazon to collect Illinois sales tax starting Feb. 1
- COD to vote again on Breuder severance package
- Toxicology results likely next week for Blackhawks staffer Reif
- Americans are too optimistic about long-term care options
- 'Food Court Wars' eatery closing in West Dundee
- Analysts: Woodfield makeover may keep mall strong
- Scotch struts its milder side to appeal to bourbon crowd
- Hampshire pays a fitting tribute to a worthy Goebbert
- WINDOW CLEANING - Maintenance -Exp'd Window Cleaners Wanted $12-$17/hr. Ground, Route & High Rise Work Available. We supply the equipment & training if necessary. Must have a valid DL & authorization to work in the US & a dependable vehicle for local transportation. Apply in person only at 960 Rand Rd Suite 113c Des Plaines Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. (id:4396637) INVENTORY - Inventory Taker PT -NW Chicago, Overnights, No exp. nec. Must be 18+ & Reliable Transportation. RGIS 630-372-6349 www.rgisinv.com (id:4396426) CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3p-11p & 11p-7a shift & Weekend Only Program & PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4396628)
- ESTIMATOR \PM - Peter Baker and Son Co -Estimator -PM position open for heavy highway construction projects. See www.peterbaker.com for information. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE M-F-D-V (id:4396553) FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC - The City of Bloomington,IL now scheduling testing for Entry-Level Firefighter-Paramedics! www.cityblm.org EOE (id:4396072) PLUMBER - PLUMBER -Licensed plumber for in-house corporate sal-aried position in Western Suburbs. CCCDI certification a plus, or CCCDI licensing can be provided by the company. For details -331-481-1742 (id:4396471)
- WATER PLANT OPERATOR - WATER PLANT OPERATOR Village of Glencoe seeks Water Plant Operator in PW Dept. Reports to Water Plant Supt., operates, maintains and repairs water treatment facilty equipment. Shift schedule. State of IL Cl C-D operator license desirable. Sal. $56,256. Cover Letter, resume & appl. to 675 Village Ct., Glencoe, IL 60022, Attn: Mgr's Office by 4pm Feb 20, 2015. Appls. Avail at: www.villageofglencoe.org EOE (id:4396185) SENIOR RESEARCHER - USG Corporation is seeking a Senior Researcher in Libertyville, IL with the following requirements: Ph.D. or Ph.D. candidate who has successfully completed coursework and dissertation defense requirement in the field of Chemical Engineering or related engineering or science discipline, plus 3 years of related experience including: use StarCCM+ and FLUENT computer programs to perform simulations; conduct research into modeling and simulation of turbulent flow; publish peer-reviewed articles and technical reports and present at conferences; code computational fluid dynamic software and web-based application using C++, MATLAB and FORTRAN. 25% travel required; must reside within normal commuting distance of Libertyville, IL. Please apply online at http:usg.com-careers using job reference number RES10064. (id:4396631) RECEPTIONIST - Medical Office in Schaumburg. Experience pref'd. Email resumes to: email@example.com (id:4396444)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.