Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Darien
Spitalli gets 68 years for Darien slaying, kidnapping Jan 27, 2015 7:29 PM
A 36-year-old Darien man convicted of nearly beheading his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend will likely never be free again. DuPage County Judge Daniel Guerin sentenced Joseph Spitalli Tuesday evening to 68 years in prison for his convictions for first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping. “On this night, you looked the giant but acted the coward,” Guerin told Spitalli Tuesday, referencing his large frame. “This was a murder born of jealousy, fueled by anger and executed in hatred.”
Terlato, pro golfers make perfect pairing with new wines Jan 26, 2015 6:00 AM
Kukec's People features William Terlato, CEO of Lake Bluff-based Terlato Wines, who is an amateur golfer who can hold is own with some of his favorite partners on the links, including pros Luke Donald, Jack Nicklaus, Ernie Els and even Mike Ditka. Those close friends also entrusted the executive with launching special lines in their names.
DuPage forest preserve mulling dog park near Darien Jan 13, 2015 4:27 PM
DuPage County Forest Preserve commissioners might spend up to $40,000 to determine whether a preserve in the southeastern part of the county is the right spot for a proposed dog park. Off-leash dog areas are located at six forest preserves around DuPage. But they all are miles away from residents in the southeast part of the county, Commissioner Linda Painter said.
Your 2015 Guide to the Suburbs: It’s our best advice, but share yours too Jan 1, 2015 7:30 AM
Want to make the most of 2015? Daily Herald Editor John Lampinen introduces a special New Year's Day guide to living, working and playing in the suburbs.
Darien man faces natural life sentence for 2012 slaying Dec 3, 2014 6:22 PM
A 36-year-old Darien man convicted of nearly beheading his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend faces natural life in prison when he is sentenced next month. DuPage County Judge Robert Guerin denied Joseph Spitalli’s motion for a new trial Wednesday and will sentence Joseph Spitalli at 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 27 on his convictions for first degree murder and aggravated kidnapping.
Self-published authors can enter Soon to Be Famous Illinois Author contest Nov 20, 2014 9:02 PM
Illinois authors who have self-published an adult fiction book may enter the second year of the Soon to be Famous Illinois Author project until Monday, Dec. 15. The Soon to be Famous Illinois Author project is being coordinated in collaboration with the Illinois Library Association and Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) and is supported by the American Library Association Digital Content Working Group, the Public Library Association (PLA), Illinois Heartland Library System.
DuPage forest preserve may open dog park near Darien Nov 18, 2014 7:06 PM
Dog owners in the southeast corner of DuPage County someday could be playing with their four-legged friends in a dog park that’s closer to home. DuPage County Forest Preserve commissioners are considering a proposal to construct an off-leash dog park in Oldfield Oaks Forest Preserve near Darien.
Darien man charged after road rage case in Oak Brook Nov 7, 2014 4:51 PM
A 57-year-old Darien man is facing criminal charges after what police are describing as a Friday morning road rage case in Oak Brook. Robert Kasanda, of the 7000 block of Exner Road, has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault, one count of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespass to motor vehicle.
Darien man guilty of first-degree murder in 2012 slaying Nov 7, 2014 6:06 PM
A 36-year-old Darien man accused of nearly beheading his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend was convicted Friday of first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping. The six-member jury deliberated for nearly three hours before ruling that Joseph Spitalli knew he would seriously injure or kill 31-year-old Skokie resident Teymur Huseynli when he slashed the man’s throat, all the way through to his spine, with a 5-inch serrated kitchen knife in the overnight hours of Nov. 16 and 17, 2012.
DuPage jury to get Darien murder case Friday Nov 6, 2014 4:24 PM
A DuPage County jury will begin deliberations Friday morning in the trial of a Darien man accused of slashing the throat of an ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend. Prosecutors rested their case against 36-year-old Joseph Spitalli and defense attorneys followed suit Thursday after testimony by the forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy on 31-year-old Temur Huseynli on the morning of his death. Closing arguments will begin at 9:30 a.m.
Darien murder suspect says ill-timed kiss set him off Nov 6, 2014 1:24 PM
Prosecutors wrapped up the second full day of testimony in the murder trial of a former kitchen knife salesman from Darien by playing a series of his interrogation room videos from the day of the murder of 31-year-old Skokie man Teymur Huseynli. In the videos, Joseph Spitalli, 36, changes his story at least three times before eventually breaking down in tears and confessing to slitting Huseynli’s throat, nearly decapitating him.
Darien woman tells harrowing story of boyfriend’s murder Nov 4, 2014 6:27 PM
What started as a quiet Friday night for a Darien woman, her young daughter and the woman’s new boyfriend ended with the new beau dead and the woman spending the night pleading for her life as her daughter slept. “He said he was now going to kill both of us but I told him ‘I have a child. You have a child. Think about that,’” Kristina Baltrimaviciene testified.
Opening arguments set in Darien murder trial Nov 3, 2014 5:39 PM
Opening arguments are scheduled Tuesday in the trial of a Darien man accused of slashing the throat of an ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend and then kidnapping his ex-girlfriend. Joseph Spitalli, 35, has been held without bail since the November 2012 slaying of Teymur Huseynli, 31, of Skokie.
Batavia man gets 16 years in prison after $2.7 million pot bust Oct 28, 2014 5:39 PM
A Batavia man was sentenced to 16 years in prison Tuesday for a nearly 600-pound, $2.7 million marijuana bust in 2012. Richard Ecklund, 50, was the fifth and final person sentenced after authorities made simultaneous arrests in Aurora and Sugar Grove. Sentences of other defendants ranged from three to 10 years in prison.
Sutton not slowing down, adds more suburban distribution centers Oct 13, 2014 7:59 AM
KukecPeople features Seattle Sutton, now 82 and has no plans to slow down. She talks about the expansion of the company with distribution centers around the suburbs and how it all started.
DuPage board candidates tackle budget, social issues Oct 3, 2014 5:30 AM
DuPage County Board member John Curran says he would continue to pursue ways to deliver county services more efficiently if he’s elected to another term on the board. Meanwhile, his opponent in next month’s election — Pamela Miles — is promising to promote community involvement by being a visible presence in the district she hopes to represent.
Final two of five guilty in $2.7 million Kane County pot bust Sep 16, 2014 11:34 AM
The final two of five people arrested in November in a $2.7 million Kane County marijuana bust have pleaded guilty. Mary Nunez, 59, of Batavia, was sentenced to three years in prison and Matthew Westerlin, 30, of Sugar Grove, was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Three others pleaded guilty earlier this year, with two receiving sentences of three and four years. Richard Ecklund, 50, of Batavia, faces up to 30 years when sentenced Oct. 28.
Suburban doctor pleads guilty to drug, fraud charges Sep 4, 2014 2:27 PM
Suburban doctor Sathish N. Babu pleaded guilty to illegally prescribing narcotics and falsely billing Medicare for services he didn't provide. Babu, 47, of Bolingbrook, operated a home-visiting physician's office in Arlington Heights and Darien.
Darien woman charged with selling heroin outside high school Aug 28, 2014 6:23 PM
A Darien woman remains held on $200,000 bail in DuPage County jail charged with selling heroin outside Hinsdale Central High School. Prosecutors said Wednesday that Melinda Rozell, 43, of 9 Elm Street, sold heroin to a confidential informant, working with DuPage County sheriff’s tactical narcotics team, at least six times since June.
Batavia man pleads guilty to pot charge Aug 22, 2014 5:02 PM
Richard Ecklund of Batavia pleaded guilty Friday to his role in dealing nearly 600 pounds of marijuana. He was one of five people busted by the North Central Narcotics Task Force in 2012.
- Northwest suburban measles case confirmed
- Mundelein teen pleads guilty to sister's fatal stabbing
- Police still seek man who threatened Delnor visitor
- Sheriff's sergeant rifle found in road
- School looking for instruments to jump-start a jazz band
- Police reports detail abuse before Arlington Hts. murder
- Chamber executive Henning advocate for business, Aurora
- Trooper injured in I-88 crash seeks homicide charges against truck driver
- Changes at animal control facility raising some concerns
- Elgin man dies of injuries from morning crash
- Monday night: Where is the asteroid now?
- Crystal Lake couple, 6 others charged in $600,000 tax scheme
- Big challenge ahead for Bears' Fangio
- Pyke: Lack of plowing leaves cyclists on thin ice
- Dawn Patrol: Former Kane sheriff dies; winds force early end to Norge event
- Which regional roads offer the least pleasant drives?
- Former Kane County Sheriff George Kramer dies at 81
- DuPage County judge remembered as advocate for children
- Elk Grove man facing trial on sex abuse charges
- Yogurt founder gets 5 years in prison for arson
- Just now concerned about middle class?
- Tell the truth on global warming
- COD to vote again on Breuder severance package
- Buffalo Grove Bills on probation for incorrect player ages
- Tax net worth of wealthy freeloaders
- Twin sisters man the chairs at East Dundee barber shop
- Elgin body shop owner charged with rape
- Whites, Hispanics, Asians grow at historically black colleges
- 2 Bartlett High students face felony hacking charges
- Mundelein candidate slams branding project
- TREE CLIMBER - Horticulture -Tree Climber 5-10 years exp., Bucket Truck exp. a plus. GRO Horticultural Enterprises, Inc. Phone -847-669-8658 (id:4396205) GENERAL LABOR - GENERAL LABOR Niles printing plant seeks full time laborers. No experience needed. Must lift 50 lbs. Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4396295) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4395929)
- WINDOW CLEANING - Maintenance -Exp'd Window Cleaners Wanted $12-$17/hr. Ground, Route & High Rise Work Available. We supply the equipment & training if necessary. Must have a valid DL & authorization to work in the US & a dependable vehicle for local transportation. Apply in person only at 960 Rand Rd Suite 113c Des Plaines Monday-Friday 10am-3pm. (id:4396637) DAY CARE TEACHER - Day care Teacher 2p-6p, Schaumburg Monday thru Friday $11-13.00 per hour Call 847-397-0111 (id:4396556) SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS - Palatine School District 15 will be having an Open House Thursday, January 22, 2015 from 5pm -7pm. The Open House will be held at our Transportation Building 1100 N. Smith Street Palatine, IL 60067 We are looking for full-time/ part-time school bus drivers. A current Class B CDL is preferred but not necessary to apply. Please visit CCSD.net to complete our on-line application. (EOE) (id:4396294)
- DRIVER - DRIVERS/Retirees welcomed to drive late model vehicles. In & around Des Plaines area. FT/ PT Approx $10.00/hr 847-871-0370 (id:4396251) FRONT DESK ADMISSIONS - Team Rehabilitation Physical Therapy has openings for full-time and part-time Front Desk Admission positions at our Arlington Heights Clinic. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefit package and bonuses. Apply online at www.team-rehab.com (id:4396446) MEDICAL ASSISTANT - Medical Office in Schaumburg. Experience pref'd. Email resumes to email@example.com (id:4396445)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.