Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Cycling
Nibali defends yellow jersey on 12th stage of Tour Jul 17, 2014 10:41 AM
BOURG-EN-BRESSE, France — Italian rider Vincenzo Nibali has a firm grip on the yellow jersey as the 12th stage of the Tour de France gets underway. Nibali holds a lead of 2 minutes, 23 seconds over Australian rider Richie Porte and 2:47 over Spaniard Alejandro Valverde heading into Thursday’s 185.5-kilometer (115.5-mile) trek from Bourg-en-Bresse to Saint-Etienne in southeastern France — a mostly flat route which favors sprinters. American rider Andrew Talansky did not take the start line Thursday after pulling out in the morning. He rode for several hours with excruciating back pain in Wednesday’s 11th stage, where he finished in last place. Nibali is looking to become the first Italian rider to win the showcase race since the late Marco Pantani in 1998.
Kadri wins 8th stage of Tour Jul 12, 2014 5:03 PM
In a solo breakaway, Blel Kadri gave France its first stage winner at the Tour de France in the entree to the Vosges mountains on Saturday. Meanwhile, Vincent Nibali extended his lead over his biggest rivals except an important one: two-time champion Alberto Contador, who sped ahead thinking he might win the stage and trying to test the response of the Italian in the yellow jersey.
Italy’s Trentin wins 7th Tour leg in photo finish Jul 11, 2014 5:46 PM
Matteo Trentin of Italy won Friday’s seventh stage of the Tour de France in a photo finish, after two top American hopefuls went down in the latest spills of a crash-marred edition this year.
Sensing rivals, calm Nibali defends Tour lead Jul 10, 2014 5:45 PM
Vincenzo Nibali is growing comfortable in his yellow jersey. He’s not taking the Tour de France lead for granted, though. Despite the stunning departure of reigning champion Chris Froome in a crash the day before, the Italian says he’s “afraid” of two-time champ Alberto Contador, and senses other contenders are looking for opportunities to strip him of cycling’s most coveted jersey.
Kittel wins 1st stage of Tour de France Jul 5, 2014 3:37 PM
Marcel Kittel of Germany won the first stage of the Tour de France for a second straight year after a late crash brought down British rival Mark Cavendish in the presence of royals on Saturday. Kittel, who earned four Tour stages last year, won the 118-mile run in mainly bucolic Yorkshire countryside from Leeds to Harrogate.
Tour de France gears up for UK start Jul 4, 2014 4:54 PM
So your national team is out of the World Cup in Brazil, Wimbledon doesn’t seem the same without Serena Williams or Rafael Nadal and your baseball team is slumping. This weekend, fans of many stripes could join die-hard cycling buffs and tune in to the start of the 101st Tour de France for that much needed sports fix.
5 things to know about doping at the Tour de France Jul 4, 2014 4:21 PM
Doping has been an unfortunate part of the Tour de France since its inception in 1903. Instead of today’s high-tech performance enhancers like blood-booster EPO, riders juiced up on wine and cocaine, even strychnine, to get a lift in the race. As the sport went prime-time and grew more competitive and lucrative, the crackdown on doping cheats also intensified. Here are five things to know about doping before the race starts on Saturday.
Froome senses pressures as Tour repeat bid looms Jul 3, 2014 4:37 PM
Defending champion Chris Froome says he’s feeling the pressure on the eve of the Tour de France. Ahead of Saturday’s race start, the Kenyan-born Briton says his main rivals “have upped their game” and two-time Tour champ Alberto Contador is looking more competitive than a year ago.
5 key stages on the Tour de France Jul 3, 2014 4:38 PM
With more mountain stages, only one time trial, and cobblestones on the menu, there’s an exciting smorgasbord of routes in store on the Tour de France. The three-week race, which starts on Saturday in Leeds, features only 33.5 miles of time-trialing. This could disadvantage defending champion Chris Froome, who beat his main rival, Alberto Contador, in both of last year’s individual time trials.
Wounded Warrior Project veterans ride cycles through Rosemont, Des Planies Jun 27, 2014 6:06 PM
Veterans. some riding hand cycles, trikes and bicycles retrofitted to accommodate injuries, are taking to the streets this weekend on a veterans support organization’s annual bicycle “soldier ride” showing camaraderie and mutual support. “Wounded Warrior has saved my life,” one veteran said.
New Elgin BMX track operators hope to revitalize, attract riders Jun 22, 2014 4:14 PM
Husband and wife team Jim and Jenna Barton of Belvidere have been trying to revitalize Elgin’s BMX track since they took over as operators in the fall. Scoring the upcoming appearance of Donny Robinson, the 2008 BMX Olympic bronze medalist,should help.
Suburban cyclists bike across nation to fight cancer Jun 8, 2014 8:00 AM
Twenty University of Illinois students are biking 4,000 miles this summer to support a variety of cancer-fighting causes. “It sounded like something new, something pretty crazy and just like an epic journey,” said 19-year-old Grace Deetjen of Naperville. Other riders on the trip are from Algonquin, Buffalo Grove, Gurnee, St. Charles and Wheeling.
Froome to defend title at Criterium du Dauphine Jun 3, 2014 6:26 PM
Team Sky bitter rivals Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins will warm up for the Tour de France in different races. Froome, the defending Tour champion, will put the finishing touches to his preparation by competing at the Criterium du Dauphine from June 8-15, while Wiggins, the first British rider to win cycling’s showpiece event two years ago, will use the Tour de Suisse as a tuneup.
Ride of Silence honors memory of Elk Grove cyclist May 28, 2014 3:14 PM
Elk Grove Village cyclists road silently along local bike trails and streets last week to honor the memory of a cyclist struck and killed by a vehicle last year on Higgins Road.
Fox River Grove hosts bike races Sunday May 16, 2014 12:58 PM
Cyclists from throughout the region will peddle along scenic routes in Fox River Grove Sunday for the PSIMET Fox River Grove Criterium. The USA Cycling-sanctioned series of bike races will begin at 10 a.m. and last until 4 p.m.
Wiggins leads Tour of California May 12, 2014 11:08 PM
Bradley Wiggins of Britain, the 2012 Tour de France winner and Olympic time trial gold medalist, powered to a 44-second victory Monday in the Stage 2 individual time trial and moved into the race lead at the Tour of California.
Ride of Silence to honor Elk Grove cyclist May 1, 2014 11:00 PM
Cyclists around the world will embark on a “Ride of Silence” May 21 to honor those who have been killed or injured while biking on public roadways. One such ride being planned for the first time in Elk Grove Village will be held in honor of Rosaleen Waters, a village resident struck and killed by a vehicle as she was crossing Higgins Road near Route 53.
Armstrong coach Bruyneel banned for 10 years Apr 22, 2014 10:27 AM
Lance Armstrong’s longtime coach, Johan Bruyneel, was banned for 10 years on Tuesday for helping to organize massive doping on teams led by the disgraced cyclist. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency announced the verdicts of an American Arbitration Association panel against Bruyneel and two medical staff, completing its lengthy investigation which saw Armstrong banished from cycling in 2012.
Schaumburg mayor to lead bike to work event Apr 17, 2014 12:44 PM
Schaumburg Mayor Al Larson will lead his village’s annual ride to work at 9:30 a.m. Friday, May 16 to mark Bike to Work Week. The event focuses attention on cycling as a viable travel alternative while encouraging people to reduce automobile usage.
Armstrong provides names in written testimony Apr 10, 2014 2:44 PM
Lance Armstrong has given sworn testimony naming several people he says knew about his performance-enhancing drug use. He insists he didn’t pay anyone or any organization to keep his doping secret.
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- Prisoner who helped free death row inmate is freed himself
- Early voting, mail voting setting new Cook County records
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- New brewery brings 'craft' to Naperville
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Party funding pours into 62nd District
- Village is violating state law, attorney general says
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- No more excuses
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Sun-Times reporter quits over paper's handling of story
- Gene & Georgetti to replace Rosewood in Rosemont?
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- St. Charles North takes 2nd at own invite
- Short & Sweet guest critic, Christine Murphy, reviews Broadway in Chicago's Amazing Grace with host, Diana Martinez
- How bad will our winter be? A caterpillar can tell you.
- MEDICAL BILLER - MEDICAL BILLER, PT, exp. required for Mt. Prospect orthopedic office. Resume to email@example.com Call Kim 847-699-6810 (id:4389892) MANUFACTURING - Manufacturing100 Jobs! Plastics company in Hanover Park needs Pickers/ Packers, Assemblers, Inspectors and Machine Operators NOW for 12 hour AM and PM shifts. To $8.60/hr 630-620-9800 Walk-ins Welcome 9am-3pm at Staff Force Addison office 190 North Swift Road, Ste X firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389520) CUSTOMER SERVICE / INSIDE SALES - C.S/Inside Sales Mgr-NW Chicago Sub. Growing Fastener Co needs exper. Mgr with good PC and phone skills. Email Resume to email@example.com (id:4389208)
- COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254) KITCHEN HELP - Maintenance Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660)
- JOB FAIR - Love food? Have a knack for connecting with people? Mariano's is interested in you! Job Fair Mariano's -Arlington Heights 802 East Northwest Highway Arlington Heights, IL 60004 Saturday, November 1st 9am to 4pm NOW HIRING FULL AND PART TIME FOR OUR ARLINGTON HEIGHTS STORE Bakery Team Member Cake Decorator Cashier Deli Team Member Food Demonstrator Food Service Team Member Grocery Team Member - All Shifts Meat-Seafood Team Member Salad Bar Team Member Sushi Chef We passionately believe our philosophy-Shop Well. Eat Well. Live Well-means nothing unless we hire well and treat our people well. If you are unable to attend on the above date, please apply on-line at: www. marianos.com or stop in and use our in-store employment kiosk Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4389358) DELIVERY DRIVER / WAREHOUSE WORKER - Delivery Driver/Warehouse Worker -Arlington Hts, IL Duties: assembling equipment, delivery, pick-up and installation of office equipment to clients locally. Requirements: high school diploma and a valid driver's license. Good work ethic, clean driving record, mechanical aptitude, clean working conditions, ability to lift 75 lbs. Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org Toshiba Business Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer "M/F/D/V -EOE" (id:4389341) CLERK - MEDICAL RECORDS - Clerical -Medical Records Clerk to work in small friendly Home Health Agency located in Oak Brook. Call Bridget or Diane at Best Care 630-645-9600 or fax to 630-645-1455 (id:4389657)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.