Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Cubs
Big-name managers don’t always work out for Cubs Oct 31, 2014 5:18 AM
While Mike North likes Joe Maddon, he also believes a big-name manager doesn’t guarantee the best results. Jim Frey and Don Zimmer weren’t big names, but they were two great managers for the Cubs.
Spellman’s Scorecard: Maddon hiring will be a real treat Oct 30, 2014 9:28 PM
The main reason I’m excited about the anticipated arrival of Joe Maddon is that he’s universally respected. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a guy like that on the North Side. A real long time.
When Maddon smoke clears, hunt for free agents will begin for Cubs Oct 30, 2014 7:22 PM
There was continued silence Thursday concerning the Cubs' pursuit of Joe Maddon to be their next manager. An announcement may not come until next week. Free agency for players also is open, and Cubs president Theo Epstein earlier this off-season voiced a nuanced approach.
Images: Joe Maddon’s years with the Rays Oct 30, 2014 8:59 AM
Cubs fans are thrilled about the expected hiring of Joe Maddon, the former manager for the Tampa Bay Rays. Here's a look back at his years managing the Rays.
Indications point to Maddon, but Cubs mum Oct 30, 2014 5:44 AM
Although a report surfaced Wednesday afternoon saying the Cubs had hired Joe Maddon as their new manager, the Cubs and other sources were busy saying no deal was done. The Cubs and other teams have serious interest in Maddon, the former skipper of the Tampa Bay Rays.
Rozner: Cubs’ pursuit of Maddon strictly business Oct 30, 2014 12:46 PM
It was cruel for the Cubs to leave Ricky Renteria hanging while they waited to see whether Joe Maddon wanted to manage in 2015, but this is business and in business people sometimes get a fastball to the ear flap.
Cubs’ Renteria makes it clear he wants to stay Oct 27, 2014 7:33 PM
All has been quiet in Cubs camp regarding the pursuit of big-name manager Joe Maddon. However, incumbent manager Rick Renteria issued a statement Monday expressing hope of staying on and pursuing a championship in Chicago.
Miles: To be fair, Cubs owe Renteria a quick answer Oct 25, 2014 8:06 PM
While the Cubs presumably pursue Joe Maddon to be their manager, current field boss Rick Renteria has been left to twist in the wind. Daily Herald Cubs writer Bruce Miles says, for the sake of Renteria, the Cubs should reach a swift conclusion to their managerial situation.
Not much ‘zazz’ at Wrigley since McDonough left Oct 24, 2014 8:17 AM
Doesn’t it seem like there’s been something missing around Wrigley Field for quite a while? And I’m not talking wins. Or even the bleachers.
Imrem: Sox, Cubs need Maddon if they want to win Oct 24, 2014 3:16 PM
How hard the Cubs and White Sox pursue available manager Joe Maddon will indicate whether they are as committed to winning as they say they are.
Cubs should go after Maddon — and quickly Oct 24, 2014 3:15 PM
With Joe Maddon having opted out of his final year as manager of the Tampa Bay Rays, speculation heated up immediately that Maddon could be headed to the Cubs. Daily Herald Cubs writer Bruce Miles said it makes all the sense in the world for the Cubs to look into that possibility.
Imrem: It’s time to add teams to baseball party Oct 22, 2014 10:14 PM
Baseball's postseason has been so good that the new commissioner should propose adding playoff teams, series and games.
Rozner: Like Cubs, Royals patiently built from bottom up Oct 19, 2014 7:30 AM
It never happens as quickly as you hope, and there’s never a guarantee the plan will work, but the Royals -- as the Cubs are doing now -- built a winner from the bottom up.
Saturday Soapbox Some opinions require lots of words and elaboration. Some don’t. This is Saturday Soapbox, briefly stated commentary from the Daily Herald’s editors. Oct 18, 2014 5:01 AM
Daily Herald editors sound off on a variety of suburban topics.
Spellman: What a move to bring in Coach Q Oct 17, 2014 10:37 PM
Joel Quenneville's accomplishments include being one of only three coaches to reach the 700-win plateu, or his 270-127-60 regular season record with the Hawks or his .606 postseason winning percentage since arriving in town. I guess what I’m trying to say is simple: the guy’s a treasure.
Mike North video: KC proves bullpen is the key Oct 16, 2014 11:03 AM
The Kansas City Royals are going to the World Series, in large part due to a great bullpen. Mike North thinks the Chicago Cubs and White Sox should concentrate on that part of the game a little more.
Renovation project at Wrigley in full swing Oct 16, 2014 1:39 PM
Construction equipment is starting to take big bites out of Wrigley Field’s outfield walls. The demolition of the historic ballpark’s famous bleachers is part of a project to build a large electronic sign and six other outfield signs. Cubs spokesman Julian Green said Thursday that the field will be exposed for several weeks before the walls are rebuilt.
Diggin’ it: Cubs break ground at Wrigley Oct 11, 2014 10:18 PM
The long-awaited renovations to Wrigley Field got a ceremonial start Saturday with the official groundbreaking, held in the infield of the ballpark. Team chairman Tom Ricketts spoke, as did Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig.
For Cubs, it’s officially ‘time to compete’ Oct 10, 2014 11:35 PM
Both Cubs presidents took center stage Friday. Baseball president Theo Epstein told season-ticketholders that it's "time to compete." Business president Crane Kenney said the Cubs will have a good outcome on their TV situation.
Mallee joins Cubs as new hitting coach Oct 9, 2014 6:14 PM
The Cubs acted quickly on finalizing their coaching staff. On Thursday, they named Chicago native John Mallee their new hitting coach and former Cub Doug Dascenzo first-base and outfield coach. Eric Hinske will go from being first-base coach to Mallee's assistant hitting coach.
- Where school scores soared in Lake County
- Lake County to announce street gang arrests today
- Trick-or-treating hours in the suburbs
- State officials: No more 'failing' schools this year
- Marriott delivers beautifully traditional 'King and I'
- Time for Fire to give fans a title-contender
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- Stevenson High earns top marks on report cards
- Sold-out Chicago match marks rugby's soaring popularity
- wDuPage scores show 'math finally makes sense'
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Family questions response to Elgin man who died
- Shooting suspect caught after passers-by spotted him
- FBI says Bolingbrook teen hoped to join ISIS
- Bolingbrook teen in ISIS case called intelligent, normal
- Skies now more friendly for kids on autism spectrum
- Upscale Italian restaurant opening in Palatine
- Ebola nurse on defensive gets call from Obama
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- Fairfield's in the future for Schaumburg's Akinola
- PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Fremont Public Libary, Mundelein. 16 hrs-wk, evenings and weekends. Cleaning, snow removal, meeting room set-ups. Knowledge of automated building controls a plus. Lift at least 70 lbs, read-write English. 1170 N. Midlothian Rd, Mundelein www.fremontlibrary.org-about-us-jobs (id:4389826) SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST - CONSULTANT WANTED SUPPLY CHAIN SPECIALIST PLEASE NOTE: We are looking for someone to do the work, NOT tell us how to do it. Leading auto aftermarket supplier of consumer and industrial chemical products seeks an industry expert to work with our team on an ongoing basis (annual retainer). Areas of expertise we are seeking include: Sourcing (packaging components, chemicals, display, promotion) Manufacturing / Operations National manufacturing & distribution. Fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. We have # 1 brands and sell to most major chains. Some travel may be required. Please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org with your credentials. (id:4389177) SNOWBLOW DRIVER - Palatine location seeks snow- plow driver -$32/hr, Must be available 24/7. Valid DL 847-776-2400 (id:4389489)
- SALES - Silverleaf Resorts, Inc. is now hiring for the The Lombard Silverleaf Vacation Store! Silverleaf Sales Representatives are responsible for leading tours of the resort sales gallery, giving presentations of the Silverleaf Vacation Ownership Program to guests, as well as explaining and selling program benefits. This position requires NO cold-calling! Customers come to you EVERYDAY! The ideal Sales Representative is an excellent communicator with a positive, outgoing personality. You must be self-motivated, confident & results-oriented to boost the performance of our sales team. The ideal Sales Representative will also have: Competitive Pay Structure! -Previous sales or customer service experience -Confidence in giving presentations -Outgoing and approachable personality -Professional demeanor and image -Ability to work Wednesday through Sunday Sales Representatives receive: -Draw vs. commission (paid weekly)40k-60k Avg. First Year Earnings! -Monthly bonus potential -Energetic, fun work environment -Paid training ($15/hr) -Growth opportunities -Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance and 401K Apply online: www.silverleafresorts.com/careers or contact Sales Recruiter: John Pogorzelski email@example.com Direct 224-240-5578 Silverleaf Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (id:4388985) AUTO SALES - Auto Auto Dealership Management Team The Bob Rohrman Auto Group continues to grow. How do we continue to do this? By finding the best people available to join our organization. Are you one of these people? We are currently looking for experienced Managers at our Kia store in Schaumburg. GENERAL MANAGER -We're looking for a "take charge" leader with proven past success to hit the ground running. In this key role you will oversee activities of all dealership departments NEW CAR SALES MANAGER -Responsible for all activities in the New Car Sales division including assisting Sales Consultants in closing sales as needed. USED CAR MANAGER -Manager inventory of 150+ vehicles. Ensure individual and department sales goals and quotas are met. You must be a good closer in this role. This is an outstanding opportunity at a store with great location, a strong product line, and solid sales growth in 2014. We offer one of the industry's best pay plans plus all the BENEFITS including Health, Dental, 401(k), Etc. To set up a confidential interview please e-mail resume to: John Barrett Director of Operations -Chicago Bob Rohrman Auto Group firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389812) RECEPTIONIST - Busy Pediatric office in Arlington Hts. Tuesday and Friday 8:15 -5:30, plus one Saturday per month 8:15 -12:30. Candidate should have basic computer knowledge, customer service skills, ability to multi task. Medical office experience helpful but not necessary. $12.00-hour Send resume to: email@example.com (id:4389983)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.